Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh no my Morrowind research runs have all been for naught. :D

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr retreats to the others and describes what he saw. "That's a dead end. Too many Armigers. Three to one odds against us. I don't fancy that even if we were all uninjured. I say we head south."

edit
My schedule hasn't changed. :negative: Currently free Thursdays (the best day for me) and Fridays. If you guys can make it work great! If not, I certainly understand. My schedule sucks ass, I don't want you to delay waiting in vain for me. Keep me updated and I'll let you know if things improve on my end.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Hey, Friday nights are best for me. I got the 'ol 5 weekdays, free on weekends thing going on.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Hey, Friday nights are best for me. I got the 'ol 5 weekdays, free on weekends thing going on.
Gotcha, I'm not sure if Fridays will work for my the other guy that's already committed to the game, but I'll run it up the flagpole.

When Rhenmyr comes back to the group, the noises that were coming from the brothel sound a little bit louder and closer, as if they are nearer the back door.

nikolokolus

Arcane
With no objections, the "Ayes" have it (unless somebody has a different plan . . . going once, going twice . . .).

nikolokolus

Arcane
With Rhenmyr leading the way the troupe squeezes into the narrow gaps between the buildings south of the brothel/hideout. The tower of Koren Ghul looms several hundred yards as the crow flies to the Southeast and with nowhere better to go, the Stygian Ranger leads you by twist and by turn.

The slow crawl through the mazy alleys is interrupted several times when the sounds of a great commotion on the streets forces you to halt and wait for the danger to pass. From the little glances you are able to steal, it seems as if the Armigers are sweeping the district - You've seen dozens of bodies littering the streets and dozens more people pulled from their houses and rounded up and then pushed along to some other part of the town.

With the adrenaline pumping for so long you all start to feel the weight of exhaustion seeping into your limbs and the minutes feel like hours and what is probably no more than an hour or two of skulking starts to feel like an eternity, but eventually the lurid sun dives behind the towering Haemus Mons and casts its long shadows over Lowtown, and the dusky purples and grays of twilight paints the walls of the mud-brick and sandstone buildings.

By luck or the grace of gods you've somehow managed to make it to the base of the rocky knoll where the tower lays without incident (save for a startled alley cat and a passed out drunk). When you poke your heads from the alley, you look to the left and to the right down the avenue that curves around the tower. The streets appear empty of people and are eerily silent. The only thing breaking the spell is a mangy dog loping along the street about 60 feet away, he turns and cocks his head to the side and looks at you cautiously.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Well friends, we're nearly there! This alley isn't what I'd call comfortable. So, do we check out the tower now or wait for a bit more darkness?"

Can we see how to approach the tower? Does a road go up to it or do we need to climb?

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Well friends, we're nearly there! This alley isn't what I'd call comfortable. So, do we check out the tower now or wait for a bit more darkness?"

Can we see how to approach the tower? Does a road go up to it or do we need to climb?

When you passed by the tower earlier in the day (from the Mitraic shrine) you recall that there are steps cut into the sandstone hill that leads through a sundered gate on the east side of the compound - nearly opposite of where you are now. The hill is a rounded knob of rock about 50' high at its apex and about a quarter mile in diamter at the base. Its slope is about 65 degrees of scrubby eroded blocks from your vantage here on the northwest aspect. A climb looks doable but tricky.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Is the tower's hill ringed by road? Could we get to the steps without passing the dog? Rather not risk it barking like mad and ruining our stealthy advance.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Yes, the hill is ringed by the avenue (it sort of wraps around the base of it) For what it's worth, the dog doesn't look particularly aggressive, just nervous and very, very skinny. As a ranger you have at least a cursory understanding that most dogs bark from a position of strength and security. Homeless curs typically try to be furtive and avoid notice.

Siveon

Bot
"And wait for what? To be dragged to our deaths? I say we just hurry and rush in before someone remembers this place exists."

Steps plz.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Alright. Let's keep moving then." Rhenmyr continues leading the group around the tower towards the steps. He gives the dog a wide birth (but heads in its direction - its presence likely means no one is in its vicinity) and tries to stick to the shadows.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Using the most direct route to the stairs, you skirt the base of the knoll taking the avenue to the left. You all walk as nonchalantly as possible, but it ultimately makes no difference; this part of the district is utterly deserted, even the buildings within throwing distance of the tower seem deserted - no lights, no sounds save for the light evening breeze whistling through the square in from the bay.

You are now standing at the base of the hill and looking up the windy staircase. the tower looms over you looking simulataneously both shabby and ominous - scrubby plants grow out of cracks in the masonry of the steps, dark splotches of soot besmirch the yellowish stone, and several burned trees jut out from the hill like cadaverous hands reaching toward the sky. As you stand pondering you hear a light whinge behind you, you turn and find the mangy dog has followed you and regards you with a curious expression.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Rhenmyr regards the dog. "I don't suppose you know Master Ghul, friend dog. Master Djivan didn't mention the fire. I wish I had something to give you. But unless you like carrots you're out of luck." Rhenmyr offers the dog a carrot from his pocket.

nikolokolus

Arcane
At the mention of the name 'Ghul', the dog's tail begins to wag vigorously and its guarded 'tail tucked, ears back' posture changes to one that is alert and excited, whines excitedly and yips a couple of times. However he tilts his nose up into the air to sniff and then shakes his head and blows out in disgust.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Isn't that interesting. Can you lead us to Master Ghul? I have something for him."

Siveon

Bot
"Well, okay, I guess the dog knows something we don't. Not surprising." Marcán tags along, waving for the others to do the same.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The steps at the base of the hill dive into a narrow defile in the rock and pass under a narrow arch that has been hewn from the rough stone and the flight of steps beyond is worn smooth and looks very ancient. Wasting little time you dash through the arch and complete the short hike to the top of the promontory, which takes no more than five minutes to navigate its switchbacks that curl around the face of the steep hillside. Finally, the last few yards flatten out and deposit you on a stony plinth that forms a stoop in front of a massive verdigris encrusted bronze double door. The skinny cur is sitting in front of the door patiently, lightly wagging his tail.

Florence-Duomo-Door.jpg

On the threshold is a partial skeleton of indeterminate age laying face down; it's sooty and black and has been picked clean of it's flesh. All that remains are some tattered leathers and a rusty dagger tucked into a belt around its waist.

Across the joint of the double doors, about 3 feet up, is a silver bas relief seal about 2 feet long formed in the shape of a satyric head with its mouth agape.

489a05f4-b299-44b4-ad1a-aeddd659217b.jpg

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Hmm. Could be the face is a lock and that unfortunate one fed it the wrong key." Rhenmyr carefully examines the satyric head. He doesn't put anything in the mouth just yet, but he tries to see if the box he was sent to deliver fits inside.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom