Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware [Play-by-post] Lamentations in Averoigne

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Okay, Grima will allow the others to be tested and see how that works out for them. From a safe distance.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Many thanks - QQ concerning my new spell Animated Artwork.

Do statues count?

nikolokolus

Arcane

Do statues count?
My reading of the spell description makes it seem pretty clear that it animates 2D drawings, paintings, etc. into 3D things. So no statues. Effectiveness relates to damage, bonuses, levels, hit points, skills, etc. but would still look like a perfect 3D copy of whatever is animated. It only persists for a number of rounds equal to your level.
Grima holds himself back. Marcus turns his head and regards the fey creature posing as a man. "Come. Do not fear me, I am not your judge, the blade will judge. And should you be found wanting I am not your executioner or scourge. I was sent back for a reason, and while you have my gratitude for granting me my freedom . . . I am compelled to make assurances with the company I keep . . . If you will not take hold, then the test ends, we dapart and go our separate ways. Though I warn you now, if you impede me on my quest or I discover you are in league with my captors, I am your enemy."

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron

Do statues count?
My reading of the spell description makes it seem pretty clear that it animates 2D drawings, paintings, etc. into 3D things. So no statues. Effectiveness relates to levels, hit points, skills, etc. but would still look like a perfect 3D copy of whatever is animated. It only persists for a number of rounds equal to your level.
Grima holds himself back. Marcus turns his head and regards the fey creature posing as a man. "Come. Do not fear me, I am not your judge, the blade will judge. And should you be found wanting I am not your executioner or scourge. I was sent back for a reason, and while you have my gratitude for granting me my freedom . . . I am compelled to make assurances with the company I keep . . . If you will not take hold, then the test ends, we dapart and go our separate ways. Though I warn you now, if you impede me on my quest or I discover you are in league with my captors, I am your enemy."

"Well, you put me in a bit of an awkward position Marcus. What exactly are you judging? I would never profess to be one pure of heart. At my side is the mighty chaos blade, Mad Vandal. If you betray this group in this moment you shall taste it."

Grima approaches the hippy love circle but remains cautious.

Grima will touch the sword, gingerly, so as not to spoil things for the rest of the group. Though why the group are so quick to trust this monstrous creature he can not fathom.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Grima approaches and tentatively reaches out his hand. Everyone feels a subtle thrum vibrate through the blade a moment later it passes.

Marcus speaks in a grave, ponderous tone, "Hmmmm . . . it seems as though you are all on a knife's edge; a coin flipped and landing neither heads nor tails, like Janus the two-faced one. I cannot swear myself to your service . . . yet. But, I will travel with you . . . for a fortnight. . . and observe you. If you prove to be servants of the Light so be it, but if your path veers toward the oblivion of Tartarus at any point, then I shall depart from you, so long as you do not hinder my final task or abet my foes. Do we have an accord?"

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
"Not everything is black and white Marcus. Do what you must."

Grima shrugs, content to have not been disintegrated.

"Now, how about leading us to this orb you spoke of. You gave some indication of having a sense where it might be."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Requin regards Marcus with curiosity. "Why must you swear yourself to our service at all? Your chains are broken, you are free to go as you please, aren't you?"

SoupNazi

But Finn is a good, lawful boy :cry:

Finn listens to Marcus' speech, but is still in disbelief about the situation. After he's been quiet for longer than normal for him, he finally speaks up again. "Then perhaps we should return to the very first catacomb, with Marcus' aid, after all, a great evil seems to dwell there from what you've told me."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But Finn is a good, lawful boy :cry:

Finn listens to Marcus' speech, but is still in disbelief about the situation. After he's been quiet for longer than normal for him, he finally speaks up again. "Then perhaps we should return to the very first catacomb, with Marcus' aid, after all, a great evil seems to dwell there from what you've told me."
Finn don't pray to Mithras now, do he? Well there ya go.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Marcus listens to Grima, Requin and Finn and responds to each in kind. To Grima: "Yes, the Fount of Mithras . . . I do not know where it is, but I can feel it is 'close' somehow. Perhaps this sensation will change as we draw nearer to it?" He pauses and turns to Requin, "As to my freedom . . . you are correct. I am free to go, but I am not so great a fool to think I can succeed on my own . . . So I will stay with you for a time, if you will have me, and perhaps our goals align. If not? . . . " His voice trails off. He then turns his attention to Finn, "What Catacomb do you speak of?"

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Taking him to the catacomb and seeing if his skelly sense kicks in seems a capital idea.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Grima suggests an excursion to the greater catacomb to the group.

"Now you just tell us if you feel the fount grow closer. Don't be shy in the slightest."

L'ennui

Magister
"Seems as good a destination as any. We're due for another visit. We should be careful not to be seen with our new friend, though... no offense, Marcus, but I'm sure you understand this would be rather hard to explain to the common folk, never mind the Inquisition."

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Grima suggests that the party could find a nice cloak and hood for their new party member. It wouldn't do to have them seen with a skeleton buddy, even at a distance.

"What do you think Marcus, would it offend your honour to hide your skeleton nature from prying eyes?"

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Good ideas all around. Let's recover these fetters, given their odd material.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The group files out of the tomb with Marcus tentatively following behind them. He dons the cloak offered to him and pulls the hood up and over his head, obscuring his ghoulish features. The subterfuge probably won't stand up to close scrutiny, but at a distance it seems passable.

Requin
looks up and notes the position of the sun in the sky. It's probably 2 hours past noon, which means perhaps 2 hours at most of further exploration before needing to turn back for home. The mist clinging to the plateau has thinned a bit revealing dozens of visible mounds to the south, west and east. He also notices 5 very large vultures circling far overhead. Whatever they are above isn't very far away, perhaps no more than 100 paces or so to the south.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

While it probably won't hurt to just quickly check who or what died, Finn suggests they do just that for the free tidbit of information, but then continue to the original tomb; if only to use Marcus' time with them as effectively as possible.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Grima tries to find some high ground and, since the mist is clearing, uses his superior vision to check out what has the buzzards buzzing.

Also, checks and listens for wolves.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Grima finds the highest ground he can, to get a good vantage point of whatever the vultures are circling -- which on this gently rolling plateau, is the top of the barrow they just emerged from. When he reaches the top of the mound he scans the ground and just barely makes out the edges of some large hole in the ground a mere 50 paces south. from this distance it's difficult to say how big it might be without something to reference, but it's probably at least 10 paces wide, possibly even 20. He shields his eyes against the warm summer sun and takes a good long look at the vultures high overhead . . . Damn, those things are big! He thinks to himself.

Last edited:

L'ennui

Magister
"What if there's someone alive over there? These things might just be waiting until their carrion is served, doesn't mean it's dead already."

Smashing an oversized mosquito that had already bit into his exposed neck, Guillemin wipes his hand on his trousers and points at Marcus: "Heh! Count your blessings..." He mumbles some vulgarities as he swats more bugs away.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
If there are no wolves about, Grima doesn't see the harm in investigating this strange hole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom