Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Play-by-post]: Looking for players in Fantasy PbP game

Which system would you like to use?

• Total voters

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Following the great nikolokolus' example, I'm interested in running a Codex-based, play-by-post game set in a fantasy world. I'm seeking 3 to 6 players to participate.

I'm open to running an OSR-style game, using Old-School Essentials, Basic Fantasy, or Dungeon Crawl Classics rules, all of which I'm somewhat familiar with. I'm also familiar with D&D 5th Edition rules and would be fine running a game with that. If you're interested in playing, please vote in the poll. I possess the necessary PDFs for these rules and would be fine with sharing them when character creation begins.

I'm also borrowing nikolokolus' ground rules, with some additions and modifications:

Rules
  • No splitting the party.
  • No PvP unless both parties agree to it.
  • XP awarded for combat, treasure recovered, and quests completed. Personal awards for achieving certain milestones and goals.
  • Post at least once a day (if at all possible). Characters will be NPCed and run by the GM if too much time elapses without involvement but reverts to the player if/when they resume posting. The holidays are approaching, so we might get a slow start with the game.
  • I encourage players to post in-character whenever possible, but it's not a strict requirement.
  • GM reserves the option to take actions and/or roll dice for players to keep action moving (ideally, player provides some guidance ahead of time)
  • I support communication between players and the GM. If you have a question about the game, feel free to post it in the thread or message me, and I'll do my best to answer.
  • If you cannot post for a while, have an issue with another player, or need to talk privately, you're free to send me a private message.
  • I'm still a new GM learning the ropes, so one of my biggest requests from players is patience. I'm open to constructive criticism and making sure we all have fun.
Because I've never run a game with other Codexers, the first adventure will be a short module. If that goes smoothly, we'll dive into longer adventures.

In my previous game, I've used Unseen Servant's dice for rolls and made my own battle maps. I'd be open to using Roll20, though that'll be another thing for me to learn.

For now, please post if you are interested in playing (or becoming an alternate) and vote for your preferred system. Once I've gotten enough responses, I'll pick the players, and we can get started with character creation, which could happen this week.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I look forward to playing.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah what the hell, life goes in circles.
I got into tabletop roleplaying games from play-be-email message groups.
And now that I held no dice in my hands for years, I guess playing on the forum is a valid alternative.

Of the systems you listed I'm only familiar with D&D5 (started with 2E, but mostly played 3E and 3.5E),
but to for a grognard experienced player game mechanics is just a crutch, I'm pretty certain I can grab the basics of any system.

So if there are dwarves in your world, I'd give it a try.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
For anyone who voted for only 5E, I will say that Old-School Essentials, Dungeon Crawl Classics, and Basic Fantasy have simple and easy-to-learn rules to keep the focus on role playing, if unfamiliarity is holding you back.

I'm still fine with running a 5E game, if that's what the majority want.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Great. We have our party:

1. Scrooge
2. ERYFKARD
3. vazha
4. Endemic
5. GrafvonMoltke
6. Nortar

We'll do session zero -- character creation -- in this thread. When that's done, I'll create a new thread for the actual game.

For player characters, we'll keep things simple:
  • Level -- Everyone starts at level 1
  • Name, age (no children)
  • Race -- PHP basics: Human, Dwarves, Elves, Half-Elf, Orc, Half-Orc, Halfling, and Tiefling
  • Class -- PHP basics: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard
  • Ability scores -- Two options: Standard array, assigning 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, and 8; or using dice, rolling 4d6 (dropping the lowest number) six times and re-roll 1s. Use this dice roller for officiated rolls.
  • Equipment and weapons -- Class standard
  • Character text color -- Because the Codex limits how much bbcode we can use, feel free to pick a specific color for when you're writing in character.
For backstories, you can work on these in the background, but they won't be necessary in the beginning. Everyone is a long-time resident of Fourtower Bridge. The reason why and how you ended up in town can be revealed as the game progresses. Maybe you're a criminal on the run, you're an active adventurer on sabbatical, or you came to the town as part of a scholar expedition. The choice is yours.

Here's some background on the town:

Fourtower is located on the moorlands on the outskirts of the realm. The name refers to the bridge itself as well
as the small settlement surrounding it.

The fortified bridge provides safe passage across the river for those traveling the old King’s Road. While originally built for military purposes, the fortification no longer serves such a role and civilians have been allowed to build houses around it, forming a small hamlet. While a few farms are scattered across the surrounding landscape, this area is certainly considered the backwoods of the realm.

The bridge construction consists of four towers and thick gates barring passage across a sturdy stone overpass. The fortification was given as reward by the local regent to a party of four adventurers who did the realm a great service many years ago. The four adventurers are now retired and live in the towers. “The Four” collect tolls from those who wish to cross the bridge, although not from locals.

Many travelers and caravans pass by the way station, taking advantage of the inn’s services and some much-needed rest and comfort. Fourtower bridge tends to attract adventurers as it is the last inviting place before many leagues of dangerous wilderness - windy moors, dark pine forests and craggy mountain ranges. The torches and braziers of “the bridge” are welcome beacons in the cold and dark moorland nights.

As for character sheets, I'm open to suggestions. In my previous game, people wrote down simplified sheets and sent them to me. In other games, we used Roll20 or another site that can hold a sheet.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
A couple of questions.

Do you have a macro to roll the stats in 1 (or in 6) go?
It seems that Unseen Servant roller only takes 1 modifier, so something like [4d6r2c1] to reroll 1s and cut the lowest dice does not work.

Before making a character, do we have to agree on a balanced party composition?
I suspect we're going to have a barbarian, but what about the rest?
Personally I could roll a cleric, a fighter or a rogue.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
It seems that Unseen Servant roller only takes 1 modifier, so something like [4d6r2c1] to reroll 1s and cut the lowest dice does not work.
Try this and screenshot the result: http://www.brockjones.com/dieroller/dice.htm

I'd encourage a balanced party. This could include, say, two tanks, a healer, a rogue, and a magic user.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Try this and screenshot the result: http://www.brockjones.com/dieroller/dice.htm

I'd encourage a balanced party. This could include, say, two tanks, a healer, a rogue, and a magic user.
Ok done. I'll fill in the charsheet once we pick a common repository.
Screenshot_20211221-122731.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom