Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán follows the group along.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Unmanned by the strange sights, sounds and memories evoked in this fey place, you collectively come to the conclusion that this is no place for mortal man.

Begrudingly, each of you turn around and first climb hand over hand using the rope to haul yourself up the slippery chute and then trudge underneath the strange altar with the hardened "blood." The preternatural stillness of the place weighs heavily on each of you and you start to feel the strain of the Otherworldly cyst in the earth. Terror welling up in your gut, you each start the long ascent up the stairs; what took several hours to descend takes twice as long to climb and you begin to feel the toll on your muscles as your endurance feels taxed to the limit (make a Stamina roll (CON x5)).

Time passes funny down here, you don't know if it's taken you thirty minutes or thirty hours to reach the end, but eventually you see specks of starry light at the end of the interminable staircase, a few minutes more and you emerge from the stuffy tunnel and into the biting night air of the bleak summit. Strangely, the moon hangs in the sky exactly where you left it.

As the last of you exit the tunnel, you are chilled by what sounds like faint laughter echoing out of the hole in the earth. A cloud passes over the moon and the dark portal vanishes.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Cormac feels a weariness set in that makes him feel like he wants to lay down and sleep immediately (if you press on, you will inflict 1 HP of damage each day).

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If we're gonna press on, and I succeeded my roll,(I think I did) might I make an effort roll to carry Rhenmyr out?

nikolokolus

Arcane
If we're gonna press on, and I succeeded my roll,(I think I did) might I make an effort roll to carry Rhenmyr out?
Sure, but carrying him down a mountain will make you overburdened and require two rolls every hour: CON x3 stamina roll, and a difficult climb roll (half skill). failing the first means you are exhausted yourself, and failing the other means you stumble and either you or whomever you are carrying take falling damage. FWIW, Cormac is also exhausted.

nikolokolus

Arcane
[1d100] = 2 vs 50.

If we need to carry people, maybe we could improvise some travoys or something to reduce the effort required (and negate those rolls/penalties)?
Describe what you want to do with whatever resources you have available. I'll figure out what kind of roll is needed.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
[1d100] = 2 vs 50.

If we need to carry people, maybe we could improvise some travoys or something to reduce the effort required (and negate those rolls/penalties)?
Describe what you want to do with whatever resources you have available. I'll figure out what kind of roll is needed.
With the crowbar and shovel I got used as bars, we could use rope if we got any to create a makeshift stretcher. Maybe. Gotta pool inventory to see what we can do.

nikolokolus

Arcane
FWIW, the walls of the ruined broch acts as a reasonable wind break. The passage you just emerged from is no longer there . . . like it was all just some figment of your imagination.

L'ennui

Magister
[1d100] = 2 vs 50.

With the crowbar and shovel I got used as bars, we could use rope if we got any to create a makeshift stretcher. Maybe. Gotta pool inventory to see what we can do.

I've got my old staff, the inscribed staff of the evil sorcerer in Crannogmere and we could use my heavy cloak or my hemp rope to create the netting/stretcher part of the device.
I would much appreciate it if we didn't need to use the sorcerer's staff, though. It might be important or dangerous, or both.

Travois_Sketch.gif

nikolokolus

Arcane
Alright. Whomever (besides Rhenmyr or Cormac) is leading the work needs to make an improvise/repair roll (a skill under the "Manipulation" category).

nikolokolus

Arcane
Can the rest of us offer an assist roll?
Not really. Ten amateur carpenters building a house don't multiply their expertise when working on a project.

The best you can do is let the person with the highest repair/devise skill roll

nikolokolus

Arcane
Assisting Another:

This came up in my bi-weekly live game just last week. I had some good conversations about it on BRP Central and a long-time BRP GM had a really elegant solution so everyone gets to potentially chip in.

Here's how it works: On any skill or characteristic roll that might benefit from assistance, other characters make the appropriate rolls. On a success you add 1/5 of your skill or 1/5 of the characteristic roll (i.e. your Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, score) as a bonus to the active character's roll. Conversely, if you fumble (99-00, or 00 for skills/characteristic rolls over 100) then you subtract your characteristic bonus (i.e. half or your Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, etc.) from the active character's skill/characteristic rating.

So with the improvise/repair roll above, everyone needs to make a roll if they want to try and aid Urash, or Borric (or whomever you decide is the character in charge of the skill roll.

If you roll a success on your attempt to aid, then you get to tick the box next to that skill for experience rolls.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom