Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic play Gothic 1 first or go straight to 2?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Controls in G1 are fine if you have two brain cells to rub together and can manage the monumental task of tying your own shoelaces.

I use velcro instead of shoelaces, so I can divert all my brainpower to computer games.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Play G2 without the expansion if you've never played it before
Why is that? Does it make the game harder?

Hell no, vanilla G2 was pretty easy, NotR made it a lot harder, and i mean A LOT.

Anyway, start with G1, no reason not to, G2 NotR won't go anywhere. Plus G1 isn't really a big game, so you will be able to complete it in 25h+, and then you can jump into NotR, which is much bigger, and will probably require 80h+ to complete. Skip the vanilla G2, NotR brings a lot more of familiar faces from the Colony, more quests, a whole new region, and so on.
The heck? Both games had similar scope. In fact, I just replayed them and I completed Gothic in 28 hours, while Gothic 2 in 32 hours (additional few hours due to NotR). They aren't long games, either of them.

krilcebre

Learned

Hell no, vanilla G2 was pretty easy, NotR made it a lot harder, and i mean A LOT.

Anyway, start with G1, no reason not to, G2 NotR won't go anywhere. Plus G1 isn't really a big game, so you will be able to complete it in 25h+, and then you can jump into NotR, which is much bigger, and will probably require 80h+ to complete. Skip the vanilla G2, NotR brings a lot more of familiar faces from the Colony, more quests, a whole new region, and so on.
The heck? Both games had similar scope. In fact, I just replayed them and I completed Gothic in 28 hours, while Gothic 2 in 32 hours (additional few hours due to NotR). They aren't long games, either of them.

If you explored everything and you werent skipping dialogs in Gothic 2, there is no way you can compare a scope of Gothic and Gothic 2, especially with NotR. Main quest? Sure, theres not that much to do, otherwise no way. Just walking around and backtracking would tske you more than a few hours compared to Gothic, and the amount of quests and dialog in Gothic 2 is much bigger than in Gothic.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

If you explored everything and you werent skipping dialogs in Gothic 2, there is no way you can compare a scope of Gothic and Gothic 2, especially with NotR. Main quest? Sure, theres not that much to do, otherwise no way. Just walking around and backtracking would tske you more than a few hours compared to Gothic, and the amount of quests and dialog in Gothic 2 is much bigger than in Gothic.
Yet I did and I did most side quests in both.

The only thing is that I already knew these games pretty well as I played them many times over a decade ago, so I did not need to "explore" much. But G2 doesn't have that much more content than Gothic, really.

krilcebre

Learned
Gothic 2 with NotR has around 190 quests, while Gothic 1 has around 60. Thats quite a bit of difference in content, not to mention the world size. If you knew what to do for every quest in advance, maybe you could have done it. Otherwise, no way.

BarãodoDesterro

Educated
I've read the thread. Nevertheless, even tough the subgenre does not seem to appeal to me (I can't explain exactly why), I will try to finish one (just one) of the games to see what is it all about. I'm not saying it is impossible that I like the specific game and decide to play a lot of them; as it stands, if I fall in love, I could even replay the games in the correct order. What I am asking is: if I am going to play only one game ever from Piranha Bytes, which should it be?

BruceVC

Magister
I've read the thread. Nevertheless, even tough the subgenre does not seem to appeal to me (I can't explain exactly why), I will try to finish one (just one) of the games to see what is it all about. I'm not saying it is impossible that I like the specific game and decide to play a lot of them; as it stands, if I fall in love, I could even replay the games in the correct order. What I am asking is: if I am going to play only one game ever from Piranha Bytes, which should it be?
Great question and I will provide you with the only obvious truth....in your scenario one game reigns supreme, ELEX 1 and for an older game it is much tougher and opinions will vary but I say Gothic 3

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Gothic 1.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

The most significant game they've made were both Gothics. I'd even say that the only reason people still play their games is because Gothics left such lasting impression. They were 13th and 9th on the newest Codex RPG pool and rightfully so. I'd strongly recommend finishing them both. If you want to play only one game though the choice is not obvious. Gothic 2 is bigger and better that it's predecessor. It has more to do, bigger world, more varied environment better controls etc, etc. You don't even need to play the first game to understand what's going on. On the other hand Gothic 1 is much more unique game, has better story and setting. The entire first game takes place in a prison colony run by inmates. It's one of the most unique setups in fantasy games. Gothic 2 mostly take place in your standard fantasy land and involves hunting evil dragons. Also while Gothic 2 doesn't require Gothic 1 for you to understand the story it's much better experience if you're familiar with the first game.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gothic 1, it's the shortest of the bunch and the formula what makes the other games great is already present. If you don't like it, the other titles won't appeal either (and at that point you are beyond saving anyway).

Both first Gothics are fantastic, but if it's only one I'd go for Gothic II. The story premise may feel a bit wonky at first, but PB-games are not about story (in fact all their stories are wonky), they are all about world building and atmosphere. In Gothic II the world they created is the most compelling for me. Feels like wandering through middle-european woods, the NPC-schedules are well worked out, the interactions between the different animals work and there is a great balance between freedom of exploration and a clear thread.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom