Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Gothic play Gothic 1 first or go straight to 2?

Discussion in 'Piranha Bytes' started by cretin, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Robber Baron Learned

Robber Baron
    G1 has superior atmosphere and overall pacing

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Is there any reason whatsoever not to play both?

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    I played G1 after finishing G2NOTR, and I had a blast. It's not as big as G2, but indeed that helps with the pace.

After a bit of remapping, I brought the controls to a comfortable setting.

Nowadays, there have been patches and tools that improve the game engine overall and also the controls.

Gothic One Click Action
    https://forum.worldofplayers.de/for...ick-Action?p=25357067&viewfull=1#post25357067

Gothic ½ — SystemPack
    https://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1340357-Release-Gothic-½-—-SystemPack-(ENG-DEU)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. JDR13 Arcane

JDR13
    The controls quickly become second nature. Make sure to install the system pack if you haven't already and a texture pack.

^ Top  
  5. Ludwig von Eisenthal Augur

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    I'd suggest to play G1 first. It's a great game and the control issues won't bother you for long. The whole atmosphere of the prisoner colony is very unique and while the main story itself is rather standard, the world design is perfect. Additionally it's the only game of PB where it's actually realistic and logically explained why there are so few women and no children at all.

^ Top  
  6. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Play G1, then G2. Both are great!

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. moleman Savant Patron

moleman
    Play G1 first. You will have a significantly better experience with G2 if you have played G1, for various reasons.

And G1 is a great game in its own right.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Eisen Learned

Eisen
    skip and play ArcaniA

• Participation Award x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Disgusting! x 2
    • Old x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Zerth Arbiter

Zerth
    In the first Gothic, you get to know the whole gang of bros: Diego, Milten, Lee,Lares,Gorn,Lester,etc.. And your mentor Xardas.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    Play Gothic 1 first. Both games are among the best games of all time.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. curry Arcane

curry
    Play G2 without the expansion if you've never played it before

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Mastermind Cognito Elite Material Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    Go straight to Arcania, the only Gothic worth playing.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Rabbity_Thing Arcane Wumao

Rabbity_Thing
    For the love of everything that's holy: DO NOT TOUCH THE RETURNING.

Also, I will give mention to History of Khornis and Chronicles of Myrtana, two upcoming mods for G2 that don't seem to be getting nearly enough as much attention as they deserve here on 'dex. Definetely worth a look once you played through G1 and G2 and decided you want more.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. retinoid Learned

retinoid
    Definitely play 1. G2 isn't a replacement for it despite them both playing virtually the same, in fact G1 has some aspects which are still unmatched by other PB games to this very day, such as atmosphere, balancing, and speed of progression. They are similar but distinct experiences.

^ Top  
  15. Eastwood Educated

Eastwood
    Why is that? Does it make the game harder?

^ Top  
  16. krilcebre Learned

krilcebre
    Hell no, vanilla G2 was pretty easy, NotR made it a lot harder, and i mean A LOT.

Anyway, start with G1, no reason not to, G2 NotR won't go anywhere. Plus G1 isn't really a big game, so you will be able to complete it in 25h+, and then you can jump into NotR, which is much bigger, and will probably require 80h+ to complete. Skip the vanilla G2, NotR brings a lot more of familiar faces from the Colony, more quests, a whole new region, and so on.

^ Top  
  17. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Won't it be a more authoritative experience if you play vanilla G2 first, and then NotR?

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Gangrelrumbler Arcane Patron

Gangrelrumbler
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Most people usually don't play long RPGs twice so it's better to play with NOTR, and then try vanilla Gothic 2 for comparison.

^ Top  
  19. Zerth Arbiter

Zerth
    I haven't played vanilla Gothic II, after beating G1, I jumped onto G2 NOTR straightaway.

NOTR is pretty tough in general but reaching lategame is something else, considering I went full STR dragonSlayer, scraped XP out of everything, brew STR elixirs for the berserker Axe and ditched the Beliar claw. Still couldn't beat the last boss without a summon scroll. Naive of me to think I could've been able to steamroll everything as on G1.

^ Top  
  20. Cryomancer Arcane Glory to Ukraine

Cryomancer
    A Bethesdard who loves D3 enjoys arcania. Is everything that you need to know...

PS : Arcania Sucks by the same reason that D3 sucks. Carnavalesque armor + a lot of ludonarrative dissonance.

By the love of Adanos, why this hate towards returning? I mean, Mount & Blade has naruto and star wars mods. But someone makes a mod which makes dragons a dangerous enemies, allow the PC to become a water mage or a Xardas apprentice and ... "they are killing gothic"

^ Top  
  21. I also recommend Gothic 1 first. I've just finished Gothic 1 and started Gothic 2 last week, having a fresh memory of the first part helps quite a bit with knowing who is who. The controls are pretty much alike. The main difference is combat. Strength is more important in Gothic 1 than your weapons skill, since criticral hits aren't as important as in Gothic 2. I think in Gothic 1 you do something around double damage with a crit while Gothic 2 gives you something like 10 times the damage. Your clunky attack animation gets improved when you level up your weapon skill in Gothic 1. You don't raise the crit percentage with every point as in Gothic 2.

^ Top  
  22. Terenty Arbiter

Terenty
    Play all three of them.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Skdursh Savant

Skdursh
    As far as Gothic 2 goes, if you installed it "correctly" (meaning with all the proper community mods/patches) you shouldn't be having any stuttering issues or anything else of the sort. If you're too lazy to do it yourself get the Spine mod manager and have it do everything for you.

But yeah, Gothic 1 is an incredible game and despite its odd controls it's definitely worth playing. There are even mods to "fix" the controls if you can't be bothered to learn them although they do feel quite natural once you get the hang of it.

^ Top  
  24. Tweed Professional Kobold Patron

Tweed
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Skip them all and play Ultima 9.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    I'd definitely try Gothic 1 first, but if you're finding it shit don't be afraid of dropping it for Gothic 2.

I liked it, but it was just so buggy & annoying to run, that I ragged in around halfway through and jumped on board Gothic 2.

Risen 2 is where it's really at for PB games though.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.