Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Playable Worlds - Raph Koster's new sandbox MMO

Just saw this: https://venturebeat.com/2019/10/03/...worlds-raises-2-7-million-for-sandbox-mmorpg/

For those of you who don't know, he was the lead designer on Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies, the two most interesting MMOs to date, whatever their shortcomings might have been.

This is very interesting news. I remember reading an interview with him years ago about designing SWG, and the level of discourse was on a much deeper level than the crap you usually read about from your typical themepark MMO devs.

Not much known about the game itself yet.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I guess this and Pantheon are the most promising (non-Korean) MMO projects?

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
1- The article literally doesn't say where they got the money. There was no crowdfunding campaign, so why use the word "raise"?
2- Considering who they're hiring, that's not enough money. End of story right there.

Wasn't one of the guys mentioned a former Amazon exec? Perhaps Bezos is a closet sandbox MMO player.

Exec: Umm, Jeff, remember that sandbox MMO project I was telling you about? Can I get some moolah for that?
Bezos: <checks his pants for loose change> Yeah, yeah, here's 40 mil...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
1- The article literally doesn't say where they got the money. There was no crowdfunding campaign, so why use the word "raise"?
2- Considering who they're hiring, that's not enough money. End of story right there.

Literally from the article:

Bitkraft Esports Ventures led the funding, with participation from 1UP Ventures and several game industry angel investors.

Also I think it's pretty usual amount of funding for seed funding.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Seems like the thread title is a bit off, Playable Worlds being not the game's title (thankfully) but the company. Been seeing that misconception floating around.

ADL

Prophet
Raph Koster is literally the only "veteran dev" I trust to make a decent MMO on name recognition alone.

The thing is, MMOs are a stagnant dying swamp now, overtaken by crap like Battle Royales and MOBAs, which should never have happened. A good MMORPG should absolutely destroy anything like a Battle Royale or MOBA game, simply because it has things like persistence, much deeper social aspects, more interesting character buildings, more addicting loot chase, and so on.

But the business suit dolts that run the industry are not very bright when it comes to anything other than making money, and know next to nothing about games, so they just follow their short term market research suggestions. WoW's unbelievable financial success threw the whole genre under the bus, because the dolts forced all the other companies to clone WoW, which was stupid, since they could never match Blizzard's polish/content/mass appeal. So everything crumbled, except a couple of WoW clones that moderately succedeed to some degree (ESO and FF14). But these games are the opposite of where the genre's potential is, with their emphasis on instancing, lack of pvp, and developer storytelling.

People see this, Koster obviously with this effort, or Amazon with their New World sandbox MMO in the works. There is a literal gold mine out there for anyone who makes a quality sandbox MMO. Look at Eve Online sputter along, even though it has just about the most boring base gameplay of any game I've ever played.

If some company invested serious money into making a sandbox equivalent of WoW, and hired guys like Koster or some other sharp people to design the mechanics, the result could be just as groundbreaking as WoW back in the day, but with a much better game.

Just imagine a real life-like MMORPG, set in some cool setting (e.g. Fantasy, Medieval Europe, sci-fi, whatever), where everything that happens in the world is the result of player actions, just like RL. Player run economy, city development, colonization, player run wars and politics, player run cultural events, etc. But with interesting base gameplay (e.g. fun combat, fun exploration, fun crafting/hunting/gathering, fun travel), and with solid well-designed mechanics to encourage interesting gameplay for everyone (carebears, PKs, anti-PKs, neutrals, loners, social people, etc).

Gerrard

Arcane
If tried imagining all that and came up with anything other than absolute disaster as a result, you are incredibly naive.

If tried imagining all that and came up with anything other than absolute disaster as a result, you are incredibly naive.

And you, sir, are the reason we have 200 terrible WoW clones, and the rest of the clown show. I will take naivette over dull, soulless pragmatism every single time. Think big or go home. :)

grimace

Arcane
Playable Worlds: First comes the game, then comes the Metaverse

https://venturebeat.com/2020/06/12/playable-worlds-first-a-game-then-the-metaverse/

Raph Koster has been a guru of online games for decades, and he would love to build Metaverse, the universe of virtual worlds that are all interconnected, like in novels such as Snow Crash and Ready Player One. But first, the CEO of Playable Worlds knows he has to create an outstanding game.

Playable Worlds raised $10 million from investors including Galaxy Interactive via its Galaxy EOS VC Fund and Bitkraft Esports Fund. The San Marcos, California-based startup is cofounded by Eric Goldberg, managing director of Crossover Technologies and a frequent moderator of the fundraising panels at our GamesBeat Summit events.

In an interview with GamesBeat, Koster and Goldberg said they’re working on a cloud-native sandbox game world. It is yet another massively multiplayer online game of the sort that Koster pioneered in the past. He has worked on titles like Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest II, and Metaplace.

“We’re absolutely building a game first. And you know that that’s definitely our primary focus,” Koster said. “I think that obviously there are technology overlaps there. We’ve all seen people comparing Fortnite or Minecraft or Roblox to the Metaverse. It feels like a lot of the plausible sort of metaverse candidates do come out of games. Our primary intent, as we start, is to deliver a great entertainment experience for people. And we’ll see how it develops.”

Cloud-based sandbox world

Koster believes that tapping the cloud will open a pathway to brand new kinds of gameplay and game experiences in worlds that feel more real and immersive than previously imagined. The money will go toward developing the technology behind the game.

“We’ve gotten our core technology proven out,” Koster said. “We’re doing some custom tech that’s going to, we believe, allow us to deliver games as a service and online game operation better than the norm. And now that we’ve proven out those fundamentals, we’re going to move forward with hiring and building out the team for developing the game proper.”

Playable Worlds is developing cloud technology that delivers richer simulations, more regular content releases, and stronger communities. These developments confer notable advantages in operating games-as-a-service, boost engagement and retention, and deliver compelling player experiences.

Sam Englebardt, managing partner of Galaxy Interactive, moderated a session on the Metaverse at our recent GamesBeat Summit event. Koster was on the panel. He said that Koster’s vision and demonstrated ability to give players a compelling sandbox for the expression of their digital identities makes him exactly the sort of founder that he likes to back. Englebardt is backing companies that he believes will lay the foundation for the metaverse.

It’s the community, stupid

“The only thing social about early social games was that if Eric got Dean to play it, the game didn’t give a damn about you after that,” said Goldberg in an interview. “From being online in the early 1990s to now, I know that if you build a community, players may do things that you don’t want them to do. They may talk about their lives and develop relationships. But you will keep them longer.”

Goldberg added, “So if you make community first rather than treat community simply as a revenue device, you can do better. You can give rewards to your community and grow it organically.”

The company has 15 employees, mostly operating remotely in the San Diego, California, area.

Koster said the team is spread across three states. It’s been harder to hire people during the pandemic, but he said the company has focused on hiring people “for whom we had social and professional proof,” or those that team members already knew. But he acknowledges that future hiring will get more difficult if the lockdown continues.

Playable Worlds wants to make games that appeal to different kinds of players. Koster said that Richard Bartle, a computer science professor at the University of Essex and a pioneer in research on online games, noted that there were four archetypes of players: explorers, player killers, socializers, and killers. It’s hard to design a game that appeals to all of those types of players, but you can do it with deliberate thinking, Koster said.

“If you go back to other games we’ve worked on, you’ll see that in operation,” Koster said. “We’ll pay attention to different kinds of players all having ways to play inside of one universe. They can find the fun the way they like it. But there are interesting interdependencies there. If you enjoy playing in one way, and I like playing another way, there are occasions when we need each other.”

For example, a player could make a sword and give it or sell it to a player who likes using swords.

“We’re very much interested in looking forward, and not backward,” Koster said. “Communities have evolved a lot over the decades.”

Players aren’t, for instance, interested in huge downloads and account setups before they can actually do any playing.

“We’re interested in building rich alternate worlds. This absolutely is a game. It’s not just a social space,” he said. “We’re really interested in long term retention. I think that one of the things that, with the world as troubled as it is, we’re seeing is that people want to interact online. We’ve been interested in games that are designed to build communities. That sense of togetherness is missing today. What we are building is something that I hope can bring people together.”

Here's a fluffy news update.

The goal of creating a persistent character/avatar that can visit different themed worlds seems grand.

However, tt's been done and no one any any gaming forum I've seen ever discuss it.

Maybe the audience isn't English speaking?

Remember the Entropia fiasco? And now this next version:

vrGold.png

AMEVRICA WILL BE THE FIRST CROSS PLATFORM , DECENTRALIZED, OPEN SOURCE, BLOCKCHAIN GOVERNED, MMORPG/VIRTUAL REALITY HYBRID WORLD WITH A CRYPTOCURRENCY BASED HUNTER GATHERER ECONOMIC SYSTEM.

https://account.entropiauniverse.com/new-account/?ccode=rocktropia

https://neverdie.com/

https://medium.com/@Nevereverdie/pr...d-passphrase-and-store-it-safely-261d4f267c9e

ADL

Prophet
Honestly I'm intrigued. That was one of the best things about ARK being able to back and forth within clustered servers from The Island

to Scorched Earth

to Aberration

to Genesis

all with varying levels of technology and extremely different themes.

grimace

Arcane
Playable Worlds: First comes the game, then comes the Metaverse

https://venturebeat.com/2020/06/12/playable-worlds-first-a-game-then-the-metaverse/

Playable Worlds is developing cloud technology that delivers richer simulations, more regular content releases, and stronger communities. These developments confer notable advantages in operating games-as-a-service, boost engagement and retention, and deliver compelling player experiences.

Dumb question time.

Will players login to the Playable Worlds games-as-a-service "game" like OnLine/Stadia? Will all the updates be on the cloud and the player uses a light weight browser to stream the game to their screen?

Does this model mean no game files (art/music/models/textures) are downloaded and installed on the user's local drive?

This could "patch" the game patch downtime problem for users.

ADL

Prophet
I don't know how Guild Wars 2 does it but props to them, I don't think they've ever had downtime. Even for major expansion releases it just seems to roll out without maintenance. I believe that's the idea behind Star Citizen running on the AWS cloud where they can just spawn new instances running the new versions and give an extremely generous grace period for instances running the old version.

Whatever this is, I'm optimistic seeing as Raph Koster has never disappointed me with his games.

grimace

Arcane
Alexander DeLarge

Downtime on patch day means the end user must logout, download, and patch the installed game client.

If the game client is a OnLive/Stadia and the game is streamed from the cloud to your screen than there is no "downtime" for the player.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom