Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing Arcanum as a retard.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
As opossed to playing like a retard. Is it worth it? I started up a game with a half-ogre with the "Ran away with the circus" background, making him a hulking brute with Andhaira intellect. Naturally, I have Drog's patch and Extra Pack installed. I've tried this before, but lost interest already in Shrouded Hills. Now I'm in Tarant and while I like the way my character is taken advantage of and love the journal entries, I can't help feeling that I'm missing out on more than I'm gaining. Anyone play as a retard through the entire game that can tell me if the experience is worth it, or should I restart as an gnomish technologist, another archetype I haven't tried?

Texas Red

Whiner
Yeah, go with a half orc to understand how it feels to be a black man.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I'm going to try and stick with the character for as long as possible, just to see if there's actually content for retards all the way. Combat will most likely be my only sollution to most problems, which is a shame since it's the weakest point of the game, but with this type of character that started with 18 in Strength (pumped to 20 right away) and with decent DEX (soon 20), combat will be a breeze.. Virgil and Sogg are the only characters willing to join me so far, Magnus and Gar both told me to piss off when I talked to them in Tarant and I imagine that this will be true for most characters. Not that I need companions since both me and Sogg will soon be tanks. I'm playing him as a lucky idiot, which is just my way of justifying using player knowledge to accomplish stuff Urrp is too dumb to do, such as solving the Garringsburg heist (Urrp wandered into the place where the painting was stored, the guard was rude, Urrp smash!).

Too bad that Magnus couldn't join, since a balanced sword would make him even more silly in combat, guess I'll have to buy it or go for the Sword of Air instead.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Azael said:
solving the Garringsburg heist (Urrp wandered into the place where the painting was stored, the guard was rude, Urrp smash!).
This is how I solved it the first time, and when I replayed through years later accidentally did it again. I think it's pretty likely since the Garringsburgs house is accessed from a street you aren't likely to find yourself on, whereas the painting is right near Bate's factory and the tombstone carver, IIRC.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I played a similar character one time (half-ogre with Ran Away with the Circus). I ended up killing everyone in Shrouded Hills at like level 4, and it just got worse from there.

I think I ended up getting to the part where you're supposed to be looking for a boat before I lost interest.

Dark Elf

Erudite
Azael said:
Too bad that Magnus couldn't join, since a balanced sword would make him even more silly in combat, guess I'll have to buy it or go for the Sword of Air instead.

When you come to the Isle of Despair, do the pit fights. One of the gladiators carries a sword which is way superior to the balanced sword.

Balor

Arcane
Btw, you can always go the Idiot Savant route - high int AND precious stupid dialogues.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Azael said:
Take the hammer of the blacksmith in Shrouded Hills, ridicolously fast plus it fatigues the opponent with every single blow.

Playing as an imbecile is a joke... That takes you through the entire game. There are times when the moments are classic. A lot of quests and recruitable NPCs are closed to you, as you have already seen. Vollinger will join you, as well as Torian Kel if you are EVIL! Franklin Payne is good to have along. So have fun with it, enjoy the dialog. :)

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I found a little joke that's maybe there as a regular person as well. The guy in Tarant docks who want you to clean out his warehouse, if you ask him "wuts ur name again?" or something like that he replies "THAT NAME AGAIN IS MR. PLOUGH" :cool:

Korgan

Arbiter
I have a great idea! Spend a couple of weeks on the ESF and you will only be able to play Arcanum as a retard.
epicfailguy.jpg

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Ogg said:
Caveman said:
Model interlude:

Why hasn't this douche been appropriately tagged already ?
What would be the point? The Dumbfuck tag has become nothing more than a silly bragging right these days.

On topic, how much better is it playing a retard in this game than in the Fallouts? I tried it in Fallout 2 but the novelty wore off by the time I reached Klamath.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Well, the novelty does wear off. It's pretty fun to hear all the abuse and sometimes pity that your character gets and there are also plenty of characters that take advantage of your stupidity. Dialogues with Virgil are especially fun. Still, you miss out on a lot of content and quests.

My game has ended now, I almost made it to the Dark Elves, but when I loaded up my save in Tarant everybody was suddenly hostile to me, including my party. I had reaction modifiers along the lines of -30k or something like that. I figured that the save was corrupted and loaded up an earlier game, same thing there and even the same in my third and final save which was way earlier (Wheel Clan I think). So now I'm playing a half-orc technologist instead, which makes me extremely popular in Quintarra.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ahhh, the joy of savegame corruption.

Happened to me every time I tried to play through the game ;)
Just never as early as in TOEE, which makes it even worse...

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Arcanum is really bad about save-game corruption. I've lost several playthroughs to it in one form or another. Never had a problem like that, though.

That sounds pretty close to -32,768, the minimum range of a 16 bit signed integer, and I have no idea why it would happen.

Texas Red

Whiner
Unlucky you, I have played Arcanum over many years without ever having save game problems.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Take more than 6 slots for this if you intend to overwrite the first one again when you are through ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom