Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing games in lower-rez on displays with higher native resolutions and maintaining sharpness?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I have a 43" big screen TV with a native resolution of 1080p. I have my PC connected to it through HDMI and it looks great at native resolutions. However, some games that support 1080p and above are displayed with fonts and other elements that are far too small to comfortably read (ie Stellaris). Since the games are much easier to see at resolutions like 1280 X 720 from a typical couch distance, is it possible to play these games on a monitor/TV with a NR display of 1080p with these lower resolution and still maintain sharpness and avoid the blurring or softening effect playing at lower native resolutions than your display supports? My video is a GTX 1070 with latest Nvidia drivers.

Thinking of playing Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura but at 1280 X 720 and not at 1080p (resolution mod) just so I can better see the larger game fields and fonts but not at the cost of even that slight blurring we tend to get downgrading to lower resolutions.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You can use Reshade to put a sharpness filter on it, but that's about it. Sharpness filters have a weird look to them and introduce artifacts, so I hate that, but some people are fine with it. Non-native resolutions will never look as good as native ones though, it's just not technologically possible. Different TVs have different scaling chips though, so the better the TV the better lower resolution content might look. It's never a huge difference though.

P.S. 43" is not a "big screen" TV, no offense.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think there is a way to set your resolution to a lower one and then set it to not scale or fit to the screen. So you end up with black bars at the sides (and maybe above/below). I did this once to play something on my ultra-wide monitor and it worked. It would probably work on a TV too. I gave up playing on the TV though. I prefer a sharp monitor and close to my face.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom