Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing my first Paradox game (EU3) - need guide for future games

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So, there's been some developments since I created this thread, namely that I bought more Paradox games during the Steam summer sale. I ended up getting Darkest Hour, Victoria 2 with both expansions, and about half of the CK2 DLCs (basically all the ones that added "general" improvements and didn't focus on a specific faction type). So I'm set as far as having an entry from each series. Stellaris and Imperator: Rome are wihlisted; maybe I'll grab them when they go on sale.

I also recently "finished" EU3 (meaning I let it run all the way to the end date) so I'm ready to start a different series now. Current plan is to do Darkest Hour, CK2, and then Vicky 2. This jumps around in history the most, so I thought it might also give the most variety. Who knows.

I've just been fooling around in Darkest Hour a little bit, but - man, that game is hard to read. At the highest resolution the text is simply too small. Lowering the resolution helps a little, but at the lowest setting it's not that good, and obviously it's blurrier. EU3 had this problem too, with small text at high resolutions (I played on 1920 X 1080), but it wasn't so bad I felt I had to lean in read it. Is there a mod that helps with this? It's really off-putting.

thesecret1

Arcane
I've just been fooling around in Darkest Hour a little bit, but - man, that game is hard to read. At the highest resolution the text is simply too small. Lowering the resolution helps a little, but at the lowest setting it's not that good, and obviously it's blurrier. EU3 had this problem too, with small text at high resolutions (I played on 1920 X 1080), but it wasn't so bad I felt I had to lean in read it. Is there a mod that helps with this? It's really off-putting.
Are you sure you set the game up correctly? I play on 1920x1080 and have no such issues. Image below is how the text should look like. Does your text look any different?
ALa8AJ4.png

Perkel

Arcane
EU3 --> CK2 is natural progression.

EU3 feels the best when you run some underdog but gets bloaty and annoying when you play big empire and steamroll everything.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
HOI4 - I don't think the foundation can be fixed. Visually awesome, functionally shallow.
What does it actually do different than the other HoI?

Having only played HoI4, I really don't see many too problems with it beyond the bloated naval management & spies*, how much of a black box lots of things are (as in "why do my navies/armies/aircraft not do their job properly, give me some frigging data!") and general AI woes (like the dreaded division shuffle as the frontline evolves).

*at least with the MtG expansion, you HAVE to research and manually apply all the ship variations and techs, and ships basically become similar to division templates - while having nowhere near the same impact on the game so it's just a lot of bloated effort for rather small effect.
Why they don't just give you a few automated templates with job descriptions once you research the techs is beyond me.
Spies are even worse. You can spend a lot of time on them and they basically do nothing - while when playing a minor you have to halt your entire factory economy just to pull off a single mission.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom