Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing only free games (No piracy)

Hell Swarm

Learned
I was thinking of how little I spend on games these days and it got me to wondering how cheap you could possibly go without resorting to flash games. If you were playing exclusively given away free games, free indie titles and free to play multiplayer (less so this though) how good would your gaming experience be in 2024?

You could technically count game pass since you don't pay per game but subscribe for however long but that's on the fringes. The idea is what can you get for 0 money and what is the quality of those games? Epic keep giving away Triple A titles, Steam often has give aways of older stuff and GoG occasionally gets on board too. How good would you be eating if you only got those free games and playing nothing else for 6-12 months? Back in the distant days of Humble Bundle there were lots of people picking up really cheap bundles and getting huge value out of them but most bundles suck now and the free games model has taken over. Is the value the same or better/worse?

plenty of free to play games. most of them suck, the rest are skinner boxes masquerading as entertainment. but plenty of them.

Hell Swarm

Learned
plenty of free to play games. most of them suck, the rest are skinner boxes masquerading as entertainment. but plenty of them.
Of course. There's also F.I.S.T free on Epic soon which I had a fun time with last year and I've been playing Marvel's midnight suns and enjoyed the combat (not writing) in that. There is some quality titles being released free thanks to Epic trying to bribe everyone to use their platform. It's well worth discussing what that's like today.

I imagine it's like eating free food. Probably going to have to dig in the dumpster for it.
You have to dumpster dive for free food. The rest of us have friends who invite us round for dinner and enjoy our company while we eat.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You just have to be smart and discriminating about what games you decide to purchase and play.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Some free games will occupy your attention if not giving you a full hardcore experience.

I am ashamed to admit how much time I put into retro-looking psuedo-rpgs like Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius. Half of that was just enjoying the lore of the characters and I continued to unlock them, or running around a nice looking 2D overworld. Never spent a dime.

The sequel to this was a tactics game with potentially good build autism, but I never got far enough to see if it got challenging because I had money again.

Elttharion

Learned
Depending on your tastes and how much you play you can probably 'survive' exclusively on free to play games. Most of them will be skinner boxes tho. Shit like FGO, Genshin, Path of Exile, FF14 until a certain point, etc. Also if you want to play more than pretty casually you would probably spend at least a bit of money. Sure, you can play only MP games with your friends too. Stuff like CS, Cod, etc. A lot of people are like this. Most of my friends, for example, play pretty much only gacha games and the big AAA releases, like Elden Ring.

If you want something more single player focused Epic gave away a bunch of good games over the years. You would absolutely miss most of the best stuff but you probably wouldnt even have time to finish every good game on the list anyway.

This is the complete list I found btw, there are probably a bunch of duplicates but almost 500 games is a lot.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Depending on your tastes and how much you play you can probably 'survive' exclusively on free to play games. Most of them will be skinner boxes tho. Sure, you can play only MP games with your friends too. Stuff like CS, Cod, etc. A lot of people are like this. Most of my friends, for example, play pretty much only gacha games and the big AAA releases, like Elden Ring.

If you want something more single player focused Epic gave away a bunch of good games over the years. You would absolutely miss most of the best stuff but you probably wouldnt even have time to finish every good game on the list anyway.

This is the complete list I found btw, there are probably a bunch of duplicates but almost 500 games is a lot.
That's a great find. Stuff like Evil Within, Tokyo ghostwire, Nu Deus ex are all good quality titles and that's what got me wondering.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
There's also open source games. Stuff like OpenTTD which is an open source port of transport tycoon, which received many updates over the years.

Also happened recently with Morrowind and OpenMW.

Hell Swarm

Learned
There's also open source games. Stuff like OpenTTD which is an open source port of transport tycoon, which received many updates over the years.

Also happened recently with Morrowind and OpenMW.
Fuck off Bethstard.

Do I need Morrowind to use OpenMW?​

Yes, if you wish to play Morrowind and its expansions. You must legally own Morrowind before you can use OpenMW to play Morrowind. OpenMW is a game engine recreation and only replaces the program. OpenMW does not come with any “content” or “asset” – namely the art, game data, and other copyrighted material that you need to play the game as designed by Bethesda Softworks. You have to provide this content yourself by installing Morrowind and then configuring OpenMW to use the existing installation.

Vic

Savant
Oh, didn't know that. Still, the point stands for OpenTTD which is 100% free and a great transport sim.

Another one is Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead which is a great zombie survival roguelike. It's on steam for money but I think that's only if you want to support the dev, as it's available for free from their website.

Vic

Savant
but there are plenty of diamonds in the rough. So many that I genuinely have trouble remembering them.
yes throw out a bunch of lists and claim they have "plenty of diamonds" but being unable to name even one.

Also your second link is inaccurate as roguelike doesn't mean free.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Open source games have some really good one, some are even port of existing awesome games. You can get free games on some platform like GoG that are good. You can also play some old games on abandonware, or even directly through studios (thinking of the original Starcraft being free on battle net).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom