Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware PnP systems for normals

J1M

Arcane
Pick something that they will engage their imaginations with. Since you are unlikely to wipe the party, the mechanics of combat that they are destined to win mean very little.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Hello Codex,

I got it into my head to teach my normie friends - who think of chains and ballgags when they hear the term "roleplaying" - about the joys of Pen and Paper gaming. I'm moderately familiar with most of the common systems but not very experienced as a GM. Now, looking through the various settings and rulesets that might be appropriate for noobs I've had a bit of trouble finding a really good one.

What I need is basically a ruleset that can be played without minis and doesn't devolve into flowcharts upon flowcharts. It also shouldn't be too "out there" since these people know nothing about the popculture around RPGs. This means no Dark Heresy, probably no World of Darkness. More benign stuff like Forgotten Realms might work but that brings me back to the charts-upon-charts problem.

What's the best system to introduce clueless people to Pen and Paper?

You don't quite understand. We're talking "Has never read Lord of the Rings" levels of normal here.
basic12th-jpg.111186

If you want to introduce the basics of RPGs to people who have absolutely no experience with it whatsoever, then the best start is the Dungeons & Dragons 'Red Box' Basic Rules Set from 1983, written by Frank Mentzer and based on 1974 OD&D, the 1977 Holmes Basic Rules, and the 1981 Moldvay Basic Set. The Players Manual includes a 21-page introduction to basic RPG concepts with a linear narrative section followed by a non-linear dungeon-exploration section, only after which is the player introduced to formal rules governing character classes, character creation, playing in a group, adventuring, and encounters/combat. The Dungeon Masters Rulebook includes all the rules that the DM needs to be aware of and were not already included in the Players Manual. And if you're looking for rules with a German translation, TSR already took care of that back in the '80s:

basicger.jpg

You can play this with classic B-series modules such as B2 The Keep on the Borderlands and B4 The Lost City, and if you want a more complete set of rules, you can either add the 'Blue Box' Expert Set and 'Green Box' Companion Set (both translated into German by TSR), use the D&D Rules Cyclopedia that compiled the rules from this version of D&D (Basic, Expert, Companion, and Master sets) into a single volume (also translated into German), or pick up one of the retro-gaming reconstructions of D&D (e.g. Labyrinth Lord).

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
If they are not fans of fantasy I would definitely go with Call of Cthulhu. It's also the game with better pre-made adventures out there. Light system, no focus on combat or mechanics but in story and investigation.

WFRP 1st edition is a great suggestion too, but still requires you to read a 500 page rulebook. the good thing is, players don't need to learn about feats, class abilities and other slogs from D&D. All they need to know is right there in the character sheet.

Lagi

Savant
Few years ago(2006) i was GM heavy home rule warhammer for my 4 friends. They were normals, one of them did not even play computer games.

Do not start the session in tavern ("you sit in the inn, what are you doing?"). Put them into prison or some other enclosed spaced (either they have to escape or they already start plundering dungeons). I recommend after one picklock/search test to start with easy combat, so every body can start rolling dice ASAP and get the feeling what is it all about.

some maybe silly (for nerds) things:
"I hit him with arrow, and he still want to fight?"
"How does the healing potion suppose to close my wound?"
"I take the shield to cover from arrows"
"..." - 0,5h of lurking at the cave entrance. Throwing rocks, listening, waiting for the night etc.
to other PC "If you want to swim on my raft, you need to pay me the toll"
"I'm not selling my raft!" - i was not prepared for running PC raftsman business
"Im hungry? I dont have any food. I go to forest and search for berries, roots" - after some travel description
"how can he fight with me with pick-axe, if I have a lance? He need to take a swing and I just stab him and his dead. He cannot even reach me." - dwarf vs PC mounted rider

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom