Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pokemon Sword and Shield

Garbage

Learned
I'm going to pick this up despite the cuts because I'm a pokecuck. I also enjoy competitive play (both Smogon and VGC) and love all the changes GameFreak is making to simplify the teambuilding process: basically, just spend in-game money to build your teams instead of trying to catch specific natures, EV train, etc.

"I like smogon but I'm happy that the vast majority of popular smogon picks or pokemon that offer fun niche strats are gone"

Why even bother investing all that time and effort into a new team when it's highly likely none of them will even be supported in the next game? Unless you've got a team of 6 Charizard you don't know if that team will be available in 1-2 years time.

biggestboss

Liturgist
"I like smogon but I'm happy that the vast majority of popular smogon picks or pokemon that offer fun niche strats are gone"

Why even bother investing all that time and effort into a new team when it's highly likely none of them will even be supported in the next game? Unless you've got a team of 6 Charizard you don't know if that team will be available in 1-2 years time.
I'm not happy about the cuts. As far as Smogon is concerned, I can always play the older metas and I imagine the Gen 7 OU/UU rooms will be very popular even after Gen 8 is released due to the cuts.

What I am happy about with Gen 8 is that it is going to be very easy to legitimately build a competitive VGC team without hacking so even if my current team isn't supported in the current meta(s), it is substantially less work to set up a new squad. This is assuming that these new competitive breeding/teambuilding mechanics carry on to the next gen, which I will admit is a real concern considering GameFreak's track record.

lightbane

Arcane
Leaks of the starters' final form: https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/4/2...endo-switch-leak-cinderace-rillaboom-inteleon
https://www.polygon.com/pokemon/2019/11/1/20944379/pokemon-sword-and-shield-leaks-sobble-grookey

Screen_Shot_2019_11_04_at_10.58.57_AM.png

sobble.png

Screen_Shot_2019_11_04_at_11.04.15_AM.png

Yep, ugliest and lamest starters ever. Worst main game confirmed.

Swigen

Arbiter
Swigen
Get your kid the new cyber sluts port.

That’s like a grandma gift. If I was gonna pull the ol’, “What? You said you wanted that game where you collect the monsters”, I’d make damn sure it was Shin Megami Tensei 5 but fucken Atlus...

Swigen

Arbiter
I was gonna pre-order this for muh kid and I wasn’t sure which one to get, so I google it and the top articles were about all the Pokémon they cut. Is it really gonna suck? Is Christmas RUINED?!?!?
If you have a wayto play Nintendo DS games, get Pokemon Conquest! At least, it has good tactical battles and doesn't feel like an endless grind :)
My daughter played both, but from a parent's point of view, the mainline games really overstay their welcome (the kid will have mastered everything there is to learn way before the end of the game).

I’ve never heard of that one. I legitimately enjoyed Pokémon Mystery Dungeon on 3DS though.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was gonna pre-order this for muh kid and I wasn’t sure which one to get, so I google it and the top articles were about all the Pokémon they cut. Is it really gonna suck? Is Christmas RUINED?!?!?
If you have a wayto play Nintendo DS games, get Pokemon Conquest! At least, it has good tactical battles and doesn't feel like an endless grind :)
My daughter played both, but from a parent's point of view, the mainline games really overstay their welcome (the kid will have mastered everything there is to learn way before the end of the game).

I’ve never heard of that one. I legitimately enjoyed Pokémon Mystery Dungeon on 3DS though.
It is basically Fire Emblem: Polemon

135716--pokemon-conquest.png

The silliest part is that for some reason, they decided to make it happen in historical feudal Japan (Yes, Oda Nobunaga won because he had Dragon pokemons...), but the game is quite solid nevertheless.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Had they just been keeping the entire list of pokemon available for the last several generations and now stopped, and thats why people are upset? That's crazy. That's a fuckton of assets to redo for every new game. I'm surprised they kept it up for this long, I thought having like 250 or whatever gen 2 or 3 had back in the day was overkill.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Had they just been keeping the entire list of pokemon available for the last several generations and now stopped, and thats why people are upset? That's crazy. That's a fuckton of assets to redo for every new game. I'm surprised they kept it up for this long, I thought having like 250 or whatever gen 2 or 3 had back in the day was overkill.
Don't develop a feature you can't reasonably maintain. It's not a hard concept: If you can't playtest a thousand fucking 'mons then maybe there don't need to be that many.

Garbage

Learned
A friend of mine grabbed the download going around the internet and put it on his homebrew switch last night.
He was complaining that the story is more in your face than Sun & Moon... Four hours in and he hadn't done a single gym yet, but had battled Hop (the rival) 3 times.

And even the 3rd time in, when he hit the weakness Hop would still take time to congratulate him and let him know that yes, fire is indeed weak to water.

Damned Registrations

Don't develop a feature you can't reasonably maintain. It's not a hard concept: If you can't playtest a thousand fucking 'mons then maybe there don't need to be that many.
So they should have predicted massive worldwide success and a series of games spanning decades? LOL.

Kids want to see new designs. Dropping old ones was inevitable (and I thought they'd already started doing that ages ago when jumping systems prevented transfers anyways). At some point the series needs a total reboot. The should do like an ancient world pokemon game or something, would be cool.

lightbane

Arcane
The should do like an ancient world pokemon game or something, would be cool.
Seconded, although then it would be a mostly standard JRPG by then.

Also, they have to keep producing new Pokes because every new generation of children are becoming less and less capable of keeping attention, hence why every new game needs so many new and shiny stuff, because otherwise their intended main audience would not like it and blame the game of being "old" or whatever.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So they should have predicted massive worldwide success and a series of games spanning decades? LOL.

Kids want to see new designs. Dropping old ones was inevitable (and I thought they'd already started doing that ages ago when jumping systems prevented transfers anyways). At some point the series needs a total reboot. The should do like an ancient world pokemon game or something, would be cool.
They released an online bank with a subscription fee where you can store all your pokemon and the idea was that you could store your favorite mon and transfer them into the newest releases. If they can't commit to that idea then they have no right charging a sub and then doing a massive bait and switch like this. One of the most profitable game companies of all time shouldn't have a lack of resources developing their flagship titles either. They aren't just cutting corners on the Pokemon either. Apparently some moves have been removed and if you transfer a mon that is available in the new games with these moves that don't exist anymore they get removed, and obviously the technical aspects of the game is worse than amateur level. OK, so they can't play test 1000 Pokemon. What CAN they do then when everything else sucks shit as well? It's nice to see Game Freak get a little bit of backlash for once, though I doubt it's going to do much to change their ways.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

They released an online bank with a subscription fee where you can store all your pokemon and the idea was that you could store your favorite mon and transfer them into the newest releases.
Well, that I didn't know about. That is indeed a collosally shitty move to exploit kids. Though you should feel dumb if you bought into it, there's obviously no way that's going to be sustainable. It'd be like Blizzard offering a service where you can port all your characters and items between every one of their games.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
They released an online bank with a subscription fee where you can store all your pokemon and the idea was that you could store your favorite mon and transfer them into the newest releases.
...Though you should feel dumb if you bought into it, there's obviously no way that's going to be sustainable. It'd be like Blizzard offering a service where you can port all your characters and items between every one of their games.

Kids want to see new designs. Dropping old ones was inevitable (and I thought they'd already started doing that ages ago when jumping systems prevented transfers anyways).
The Stockholm syndrome on display here is pretty amusing.

Damned Registrations

The last pokemon game I beat was gen one. I've played 2 others since then and the more recent of those I don't think I even beat 3 gyms. I don't think I'm the one who's being held hostage here.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
The last pokemon game I beat was gen one. I've played 2 others since then and the more recent of those I don't think I even beat 3 gyms. I don't think I'm the one who's being held hostage here.
Then why are you making excuses for a greedy, mediocre dev long past their prime?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom