Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Polish gaming mag CD-Action reviews Dungeon Rats

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
CD Action said:
Success of IceWind Dale and the like proved a long time ago that multi-threaded story is not always what RPG lovers desire. Sometimes a good brawl is enough.

Their conclusion is: 'Decent, but gets boring in the long run.'

j7y5YqB.jpg

Get some other local Potato to translate the whole text, but here is the score and the pros and cons:

Score: 7 (out of 10)
Gameplay: 7
Video: 5
Audio: 5

+complex combat encounters
+crafting that makes sense
+reasonable price

-no story
-poor interface
-gets boring in the long run
-pretty it aint't

Zanzoken

Arcane
Game "journalists" should really learn to evaluate games against their stated goals, not against whatever the reviewer thinks the game should be.

DR was not advertised to have a story or to be visually stunning. So to critique the game for not having those features is amateurish.

It would be like docking points from a Call of Duty review because you wanted there to be puzzles to solve.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How is CD-Action still in business? Even the name is heavily outdated...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
- brak fabuly
- marny interfejs

lmao

spectre

Arcane
So, I see they're keeping up the good work. Tryhard humor is still in
(I swear, a standard Polish politician joke and a cringeworthy jab at American elections on one page?),
and if it ain't AAA, best they can do is 7/10. 8/10 if it has purdy graffix or is artsy.

I have to ask, Is this Cursian guy someone of note?
Cause he reads like a fucking tool, or like a young edgelord eager to prove he's like all the cool editor guys.
"I usually ignore crafting because it's too much of a bother for my tastes; however it's pretty much impossible to ignore in this game ."
[It is totally impossible to avoid crafting in AoD!]

"Five years a ago, I would make a burnt offering to the devs, cause the fights are really well done. However, the problem is that turn based games are pretty abundant these days,
so it's very easy to find an equally involving game that also brings an interesting story to the table, which is missing from this title."
[Ok whippersnapper, name five.]

The review can be summed up as - baaaah, all this fighting, so vulgar, so tiresome, such a bother. B-but muh story? I cannot RPG if it doesn't story.

The guy clearly cannot appreciate demanding turn based combat. I wonder what's the logic of him reviewing such a game?
[and to answer my own question, they probably drew straws and given him a memo that Icewind Dale used to be a thing]
They should get their resident strategy guy do it, might have been a better read.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
They should get their resident strategy guy do it, might have been a better read.
He also reviewed Shadow Tactics and gave it 9/10 which I find surprising. I would rate both games 7/10 with a slight advantage of DR. Shadow Tactics is more enjoyable at the start but tends to get a bit tiring later, DR on the other hand becomes great once you escape the rock bottom and is more replayable IMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom