Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: An Obsidian Vampire The Masquerade Game

Would you want an Obsidian Vampire The Masquerade Game

• YES PLEASE

• No

• kingcomrade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
InXile seems much better suited for this job. They can set the grimdark/goth ambiance, while Obs can only pull family friendly, politically correct stuff. I wish Tim Cain and Avellone migrated to inXile and Obsidian would shift towards making survival games or maybe make the next TES.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I think the deconstruction would be: Why the hell does the lore make it sound like it's bad to be a vampire?
Because these aren't From Dusk Till Dawn vampires that turn evil the instant their fangs grow out.

If they could somehow use their writing talents and just stay the fucking hell away from the combat and character advancement systems, I'd love to see this game made.

Athelas

Arcane
InXile seems much better suited for this job. They can set the grimdark/goth ambiance, while Obs can only pull family friendly, politically correct stuff.
InXile hasn't written a plot worth mentioning yet. Meanwhile, Obsidian lets their Kickstarter game take place in the most generic universe imaginable yet PoE still manages to outshine WL2 in the writing department.

Gameplay is a whole different debate of course (and probably a more important concern).

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Because these aren't From Dusk Till Dawn vampires that turn evil the instant their fangs grow out.

If they could somehow use their writing talents and just stay the fucking hell away from the combat and character advancement systems, I'd love to see this game made.

Let's hire Obsidian or inXile for story writing and Team Ninja for combat. :troll:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Let's hire Obsidian or inXile for story writing and Team Ninja for combat. :troll:
As long as they have something of a track record and aren't too young/unestablished that their balance sensibilities are derivative of any particular MOBAs, WoW, etc. There are too many games whose design is quite clearly created by someone who got into game design because they wanted to make a carbon copy of some other game and brought nothing else with them.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
InXile hasn't written a plot worth mentioning yet. Meanwhile, Obsidian lets their Kickstarter game take place in the most generic universe imaginable yet PoE still manages to outshine WL2 in the writing department.

Gameplay is a whole different debate of course (and probably a more important concern).

The main plot is always kind of generic, so it's not even worth discussing - you wake up without memories, or some same shit... In VtMB what mattered most was the atmosphere, and inXile can do that.

Athelas

Arcane
The main plot is always kind of generic, so it's not even worth discussing - you wake up without memories, or some same shit... In VtMB what mattered most was the atmosphere, and inXile can do that.
Uh, atmosphere is the result of (among other things) solid writing. I guess it's my fault for saying 'plot' when I meant all the narrative stuff including ambiance.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
As long as they have something of a track record and aren't too young/unestablished that their balance sensibilities are derivative of any particular MOBAs, WoW, etc. There are too many games whose design is quite clearly created by someone who got into game design because they wanted to make a carbon copy of some other game and brought nothing else with them.

Team Ninja made this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPYpGc3XRgc
making them famous for their boobs physics.
Is that enough? :troll:

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I would fucking love it if Double Bear Mitsoda got hired by Obsidian and then proceeded to make with them proper third/first person sequel to Bloodlines. All over that.

I have wet dreams about this. But I'm pretty sure Brian was once an Obsidian employee and left. His project got scrapped IIRC. He probably doesn't want to get back.

Also, double post. Fuck the police.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DoubleBear should get the rights, then poach the people Brian liked at Obsidian to work on a Bloodlines sequel with a multimillion dollar KS. :D

Duraframe300

Arcane
I have wet dreams about this. But I'm pretty sure Brian was once an Obsidian employee and left. His project got scrapped IIRC. He probably doesn't want to get back.

Also, double post. Fuck the police.

? His last project was Alpha Protocol. His first project at the company got cancelled. The seven dwarfs rpg. You might be thinking of that.

Also its arguable if he left because of Obsidian. AP had both internal and publisher problems, though imo considering he went indie it was probably more because of the dealing with publishers side of things,

If Obsidian could do the game through kickstarter it may be possible to get him as a writer on board like with Torment,

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Obs can only pull family friendly, politically correct stuff.

Huh?

And yes, Obsidian has my blessing to do a VtM:B game. Considering New Vegas is quite similar to VtM:B in a number of ways, and it is easy to argue that it is better than VTM:B overall.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
? His last project was Alpha Protocol. His first project at the company got cancelled. The seven dwarfs rpg. You might be thinking of that.

Also its arguable if he left because of Obsidian. AP had both internal and publisher problems, though imo considering he went indie it was probably more because of the dealing with publishers side of things,

If Obsidian could do the game through kickstarter it may be possible to get him as a writer on board like with Torment,

Pretty sure he stated his version of Alpha Protocol was a very initial one that was almost completely scrapped, to the point where the released product really didn't feature any of his work. I'd hope he stayed at Obsidian, as it's a developer whose work I appreciate and his writing was sublime in Vampire.

mondblut

Arcane
No. I'd rather have a VTM game with decent gameplay, for a change. 3 times is a charm, they say. :smug:

Why specifically? I have not played Mage.
Imaginative magic use. They don't "cast spells", they change reality in ways limited only by Paradox, mage's paradigm and player's imagination. For every hundred ways a developer could give the player to interact with the game world, there would be a million lacking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom