Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

POLL best modern isometric CRPG(Divinity,Pillars,Kingmaker...)

Best modern iso CRPG ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Underrail is heaps above everything on that list

Incarnate

Novice
Wasteland 2 was pretty good. Tides of Numenera was a struggle to play through: it was mind-numbing. Pillars 1 was ok. I enjoyed it overall. Age of Decadence was a great motherfucking game. Loved it.

I haven't played the rest. I own some of them but I'm still lost somewhere in the pyramids in Wizardry 6. I'll get there. Maybe.

Best overall is a bit hard. AoD's my favorite but I also realize it's a fetish game for deviants like myself and I dunno if I'd say it's the best overall. I guess I'll give it to Kingmaker, was leaning toward the DoS series but the co-op is a huge part of what props those up for me. They're good anyway, but they really shine with a buddy. Kingmaker's gotten over the bugginess and is probably the best "Well rounded" CRPG since BG2 which is BG2's big crowning achievement. Kingmaker's a little weaker in the storyfag department (Depends on the specific type of storyfag since it has more C&C and skill checks and shit, but the story itself isn't as satisfying) but a little stronger in the combatfag department, and since the BG series is the thing that I feel Kingmaker's most comparable to is an achievement in itself.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
Age of Decadence
Greatest C&C design, but plays more like CYOA than an RPG. Also not so great visual art after all.

Blackguards
That plays more like puzzle games. Like chess puzzle or something.

Battle Brothers
Reminds me of JRPG tactics games of old. Plays nice, but not in traditional RPG sense maybe.

Divinity: Original Sin
The best from the list in my opinion. I really enjoyed the battle system, never felt so much joy by simple grinding, like in decades. Gives you full freedom of actions inside it's role playing system, and many creative ways to win even the hardest challenges.

Expeditions: Conquistador
Love the setting and C&C. But combat system is no great for me. Still not played Vikings though.

Pillars of Eternity

Modern day Baldur's Gate. Second game is far more polished, but a little more sterile. I really enjoyed battle encounters in second game. It has a minimum of thrash mobs, most fights can be resolved in another way. But the ship part was not so interesting. Games have a quite interesting world and lore, but the quality of writing is uneven, especially in the first game. Not tried the turn-based mode in second game yet. It can be interesting, cause I liked encounter design.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If Pillars is BG-nostalgia ripoff, Kingmaker tries to be PnP experience, which was the idea behind the original BG. The game gets some things right, but more things wrong in this way. Boring trash mobs grinding, boring kingdom management, unexpected quest timers, uneven story. So overall it feels a livelier than PoE for me, but too unpolished with a bunch of bad design decisions. I hope Kingmaker 2 (or something else from them) will be much improved and polished version, at least like Pillars2 to Pillars1.

Shadowrun Trilogy
Nice little games. First is too linear, last is too wordy and boring, middle one (Dragonfall) is the best. It's like a not so big, not so hardcore pieces of RPG, which is quite good to have now and then.

Torment: Tides of Numenera

It's just a bunch of unconnected short stories from different authors about different worlds. Because of so much prose it's really hard to get into this game. But I appreciated some design decisions: turn-based diplomacy event, turn-based stealth event. I think game would improved if it had more combat (or other turn-base events) and far less prose (and less different authors).

Tyranny
Interesting ideas and C&C design turns to full disappointment at the end. Characters are too silly for grim world pitch and the game ends on cliffhanger of sorts. It has interesting spell-creation system, but the battle system is nothing tactical and the encounters are full thrash. The game feels like interesting ideas from one authors was ruined or rushed by the others.

Underrail
Cool hardcore game which gave me fallout feel the most. Exploring tunnels network was better than any AAA-Metro games or something. Hidden pieces of lore is mind-blowing. Combat is tactical but encounters could be better designed sometimes. I really hope for sequel, but still didn't play the DLC.

Wasteland 2
It's mediocre, but it's not so bad. Some encounters are fun, some story bits are fun. But some are silly, and looked like a work of an amateur. I hope they fix it in W3.

And you forgot ATOM

Last edited:

Squid

Arbiter
I've played like four of these. Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, D:OS 2, and Tyranny.

Wasteland 2 is the best of those. I didn't finish D:OS 2. Couldn't find anything that was going on to actually be interesting. The loot was stupid. I'll retry it and also boot up 1, one day, but I got better things to play until then.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Underrail
Cool hardcore game which gave me fallout feel the most. Exploring tunnels network was better than any AAA-Metro games or something. Hidden pieces of lore is mind-blowing. Combat is tactical but encounters could be better designed sometimes. I really hope for sequel, but still didn't play the DLC.

The dlc is not out yet. Only the beta testers have seen it.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Underrail

Still waiting for this to come to Linux :(

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Pillars of Eternity
Modern day Baldur's Gate.

giphy.gif

Jinn

Arcane
People shitting on AoD really is proof that Codex isn't what it used to be when I first joined.

AoD was pretty divisive from its official release onward around here. It was something a lot of us were looking very much forward to and it's a decent to good game, but fell short of a lot of our expectations. Major problems a lot of people have with it (myself included) seem to be its heavy reliance of text-based C&C gameplay, tied to hard-line skill and ability gates that seemed to encourage point hoarding and savescumming, and overall feeling of restriction on a single playthrough. Things like combat and exploration seem to suffer from the same design philosophies as well. On that note, I think VD took a lot of the criticism AoD got around here to heart and I'm looking very much so forward to Colony Ship.

Also this. Who alt you is, or are you joking?

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
AoD ain't bad, but the gameplay it offers is definitely very specific. I can absolutely understand why some people are turned off by that

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Is Pathfinder Kingmaker really better than DOS2? I haven't tried it.

I mean this same poll is saying Age of Decadence is better than DOS2 which everyone knows is bullshit, so it's hard to take this poll seriously

Codex Year of the Donut
Is Pathfinder Kingmaker really better than DOS2? I haven't tried it.

I mean this same poll is saying Age of Decadence is better than DOS2 which everyone knows is bullshit, so it's hard to take this poll seriously
Depends, do you prefer chess or randomly throwing dice?

Molina

Savant
Pathfinder: Kingmaker will give you a sense of adventure. Until 60 hours, it is quite well paced then it all falls apart a little bit.

Pillars of Eternity 2 is much more intimistic and is more involved in worldbuilding. Personally, I have a lot of trouble getting involved, I'm offered too much information I don't give a shit about. Which is a shame, because he looks really good.
PoE 1 was perfect when I was in need of RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom