Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Best roguelike and why

Best roguelike in your opinion

• Rogue

• NetHack

• Moria / Angband

• Tales of Maj'Eyal

• Caves of Qud

• UnReal World

• ADOM

• Doom RL / Jupiter Hell

• Pathos

• Caverns of Xaskazien II

• Nahlakh / Natuk / Helherron / Pirates of the Western Sea

• Sword of the Stars: The Pit

• Zorbus

• Infra Arcana

• Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

• Low Magic Age

• Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

• Dungeons of Dredmor

• Cogmind

• NEO Scavenger

Results are only viewable after voting.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This poll does not include settlement management roguelikes such as Dwarf Fortress, Factorio, Rimworld, FTL, and so on.

It also does not include faggot hipster shit like Noita, Terraria, Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, etc.

Only single-player, turn-based, RPG-like roguelikes. I am a little ignorant about this subgenre so I may have forgot some.

EDIT:

I added the following so you may change your votes,
  • Infra Arcana
  • Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
  • Low Magic Age
  • Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
  • Dungeons of Dredmor
  • Cogmind
  • NEO Scavenger

Last edited:

Covenant

Savant
Somehow your list is missing all of the following:

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup
Elona
Shiren the Wanderer
IVAN
Sil
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
Infra Arcana
Incursion
Ragnarok
Dungeons of Dredmor (hipster shit, to be fair)
Castle of the Winds
Brogue
Cogmind

There are obviously more than this, but those are the ones that I can see having any potential to win a 'best roguelike' poll. I'm sure there's one guy who thinks the genre peaked with SSI's Dungeon Hack though.

I've never heard of Pathos, Caverns of Xaskazien II or Pirates of the Western Sea, but I'll check them out.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
luj1 please add Approaching Infinity.

sci-fi roguelike that feels like star trek by way of tales of maj'eyal in space... space exploration and battles, landing on planets with an away team, various events, trading, diplomacy, lots of choices, lots of builds both for personnel and your ship, various factions, can craft gear or find loot on planets or space stations, can mine for shit and sell it, variety of quests both main, faction and side. can come across wrecked spaceships and loot them or fix them up and take it for yourself.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Tales of Maj'Eyal

Because it has the most adventuresome feel. Immersion levels are high. Has different starts. Eases you into learning. Very high ceiling. Nice music. Gear shows up. Great setting. A lot of variables per playthrough. I wish everyone here gave it a try at least once.

On that note, Low Magic Age is fun too.

Aemar

Arcane
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Zorbus, Cogmind, Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, ADOM.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
dude, are you Infinitron now? where the heck is Unreal world and CDDA?

these biased polls need to stop.

also, Brogue and dungeon crawl stone soup are missing at first glance nvm just saw that PLENTY of missing games have been pointed out by others

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Seems oddly specific, like one of those Jason Liang "Best RPG set in medieval Hungary and developed by no more than 4 people (before March 1999)" polls.

Also, SOTS the Pit but no FTL? :lol:

Sibylla

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag!
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is my all time favorite. Devs keep streamlining and taking out features with each release but its still the same addictive game based on Crawl. I like its simplicity and design, there are no superfluous elements for the sake of it, no overworld, no simulationism, no clutter, just a single mission to go deeper in the dungeon. Since its easy to die and replay you mainly end up interacting with its rpg system and different playstyles.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
I'm not much into roguelikes but I liked Dawn of the Mexica, mostly for the different setting.

bionicman

Liturgist
For real tho, the poll is missing some classics like cdda, dredmor and cogmind...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom