Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Best roguelike and why

Best roguelike in your opinion

• Rogue

• NetHack

• Moria / Angband

• Tales of Maj'Eyal

• Caves of Qud

• UnReal World

• ADOM

• Doom RL / Jupiter Hell

• Pathos

• Caverns of Xaskazien II

• Nahlakh / Natuk / Helherron / Pirates of the Western Sea

• Sword of the Stars: The Pit

• Zorbus

• Infra Arcana

• Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

• Low Magic Age

• Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

• Dungeons of Dredmor

• Cogmind

• NEO Scavenger

Results are only viewable after voting.

Reader

Scholar
..."AND WHY"
When i saw this poll i was really interested to see the answers because i played only ToME and a little ADOM. I hoped to see good recommendations. But then i found out that some users can't even tell roguelike from roguelite. Ex:
Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman

Everspace.
Those are roguelites. Come on guys it's not even a definition of an RPG. Roguelike doesn't have any form of progression between sessions. No ways to make life easier. No points to distribute, no stat increase, no helping artifacts that persist through multiple sessions.

And then i see posts like "i like this or that. Why? because i like it" or "because it's the best" or "the first".. Or another pointless shit. I understand that we're talking about roguelikes but i was expecting more from Codex.

I didn't vote because as i said i played ToME mostly. But ToME i played for 487h (just checked Steam) So here you go.
pros
Character building. Many classes. Lots of skills. Passive and active. Many races. Races have their own skills. All these skill thought out so well that it made me feel that i really play that class.
Some evil choices
optional dungeons
Nice visuals and effects. Nice music.
Some lore. Actually a lot.
Classes and races unlocks.

cons
Main quest is pretty linear. Dungeons order is always the same. Good/Evil choices don't impact your route.
Add to that that main quest is kinda long. I saw posts claiming they complete it in 8 hours. I dunno. Maybe. But i still need a day to get to the second continent.

CHEMS

Scholar
Any good roguelike featuring guns? Cmon, i know you guys can recommend one

Infinitum

Scholar
Cogmind. Voting Sil my favourite roguelike, simply because how elegant its combat system is. Sil-Q is a sidegrade in many regards with some quality of life improvements, but its feats aren't quite as tightly designed.

sser

Arcane
Developer
DoomRL was already mentioned.
I've already played DoomRL though, is there another?

Jupiter Hell, made by DoomRL developer. I think it has the best combat of any roguelike currently out there -- but combat is literally all it is. There's also Xenomarine which is quite good but you have to give it some time. Approaching Infinity is mostly ranged ship/gun-combat, but you have to be into the Star Trek aesthetic. Caves of Qud has gun-based builds you can go for.

Reader

Scholar
I didn't know that.
But in a year Hitman will get roguelike mode update. Will it make Hitman full fledged roguelike? Worthy of this poll i mean.

CHEMS

Scholar
DoomRL was already mentioned.
I've already played DoomRL though, is there another?

Jupiter Hell, made by DoomRL developer. I think it has the best combat of any roguelike currently out there -- but combat is literally all it is. There's also Xenomarine which is quite good but you have to give it some time. Approaching Infinity is mostly ranged ship/gun-combat, but you have to be into the Star Trek aesthetic. Caves of Qud has gun-based builds you can go for.
Thank you very much

Covenant

Savant
I'd probably also put Sil as my favourite. Very tightly designed, loads of variety possible despite the actual game length being fairly short, and it never sacrifices its theme.

Those are roguelites. Come on guys it's not even a definition of an RPG. Roguelike doesn't have any form of progression between sessions. No ways to make life easier. No points to distribute, no stat increase, no helping artifacts that persist through multiple sessions.
It's worth noting that ToME breaks this to an extent, both with the class/tree unlocks and the item vault (which is pure :decline:), though the former isn't really significant and the latter is avoidable.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's worth noting that ToME breaks this to an extent, both with the class/tree unlocks and the item vault (which is pure :decline:), though the former isn't really significant and the latter is avoidable.

What does ToME break that is against roguelikes, just curious

TwoEdge

Scholar

What does ToME break that is against roguelikes, just curious
ToME has features (classes, races, skill trees, prodigies, etc) that are locked until you fulfill some arbitrary condition and then become available for subsequent playthroughs (most people bypass this by a simple mod installation that unlocks everything at once). It also has an item vault where you can store items for retrieval by another character, it's considered cheating by most of its community and I personally only use it for experiments, but it's there. Both go against the rule that roguelikes must never carry anything over play sessions but the player's experience.

TwoEdge

Scholar
roguelikes must never carry anything over play sessions but the player's experience
Nethack's bones files would like to have a word with you
The idea is that a genre is a set of criteria, where you must fulfill a certain quota to be inserted into it, a little bit of divergence is not enough to be disqualified. I think ToME is well within the definition of a roguelike (as is Nethack), I was just answering luj's question.

Last edited:

Reader

Scholar
ToME breaks this to an extent, both with the class/tree unlocks
Ah come on it's just class/tree unlocks. as far as i know there are not OP classes/trees. If new class or tree clicked with you and you feel good - good for you but this doesn't mean that it will work the same for another player. Adventure class is debatable but well this game has a mode with unlimited lives why not to start about breaking the rules from there then?
item vault (which is pure :decline:)
It would have been purest decline if it would work as someone might think lol. It's inefficient. That's the main reason why almost nobody uses it. You may go to character vault, pick winner char, painfully gather the same gear he has only to die from Urkis or even earlier. What works for one not necessarily works for another.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Tales of Maj'Eyal is great but I will always love ADOM more.

Explain please
ToME is so streamlined it's almost a Diablo game, with better combat. It's pretty hard to die unless you go out of depth or run into a particularly unlucky elite mob. The game boils mostly down to auto-explore, kill, sell loot.

Can't do that in ADOM. After I don't know how many hours I've only beaten it once, with a Drakeling Paladin. I'll probably tell my grandkids about it. I don't think the creator has even beaten the game legit. It just has such a ridiculous amount of stuff you have to plan for, with the Chaos corruption clock always ticking. It's quite a unique experience. Playing as a Drakeling, you're cold blooded, so temperature affects your speed. Getting hit by a fireball makes you take more actions, ice spells slow you down way more. There's also a fire tower and ice level that are mandatory, so you gotta plan for that. So many great items requre massive risk-reward, gambling with magic pools, or lucky item drops. One pair of seven league boots can make or break a run.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom