Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Poll - Best Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by DJOGamer PT, Jul 12, 2019.

?

Which is in your opinion the best Tomb Raider game?

1. Tomb Raider 1

32.3%
  2. Tomb Raider 2

35.5%
  3. Tomb Raider 3

9.7%
  4. The Last Revelation

13.5%
  5. Chronicles

0.6%
  6. The Angel of Darkness

1.9%
  7. Legend

10.3%
  8. Anniversary

18.1%
  9. Underworld

7.1%
  10. KingComrade: the reboot trilogy

20.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Semiurge Cipher

Semiurge
    Starting from the T-Rex encounter in TR1. It doesn't cross the line into bullshit unless the player completely loses his shit and doesn't run for cover in time. The problem there is that all the possible places that offer safety in that area can only be seen properly after you've crossed the encounter trigger, so you need to "think on your feet".

^ Top  
  2. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    Btw, to anyone who wants to play the PC version (Unreal, please play the PC version instead of the Saturn version, protect your eyesight), this patch removes a lot of horseshit problems from the Steam/GOG versions and also re-adds the music, which is absolutely crucial.

The bullshit hazards that always stick in my mind are the boulders near the end of Atlantis where you've got about two seconds to react before death, but:
    a) the devs intend you to get past in a very specific way (like by moving backwards and hanging from the ledge you just jumped over) which you won't figure out first time
    b) the scare chord that plays whenever a boulder shows up is so loud and abrupt that you spend the whole two seconds just jumping out of your chair, and you're dead by the time you recover

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Unreal Liturgist

Unreal
    I looked at the Saturn version the other day and it was worse than I remembered, though the water effect was very cool. I always heard it was a Saturn game, but in reality that's just because Sega paid for timed exclusivity and the actual intended platform was always Playstation. Except, the game was still designed with Saturn-compatible graphics, so everything's a quadrilateral because lol. But guess what? PC version seems like shit too, 256 colours (except with patch), missing music (except with patch), no environment mapping (gold Lara is very important, don't laugh), no special water effects (boring and lazy), but at least you can save anywhere!! Oh wait, you can just use save-states in an emulator (except Xebra makes that annoying, so I don't). That N-Gage version actually seems to look and run very well, so aside from using terrible phone buttons and screen, that's just the lemming being an unfunny retard again.

anywey you guise don't know what it means to die in turd raider, you just save-scum your way to victory, trolololo. you don't know what its like when a special accident happens (which they do, has nothing to do with normal platforming, that's easy) and then you have to replay the part where you watch boobgirl turn at a fixed rate and climb as slowly as she feels like and then get interrupted to play the shittiest combat minigame ever trolololololo

In more serious other words, it's just typical Westard game checkpoint bullshit where all the minor annoyances become major annoyances as soon as you have to replay something even just once, even in an easy game, and then in the end there's nothing actually satisfying about it. And the game isn't all that hugely compelling to make up for it, so... wish I were playing Dark Souls, lolz! Japanese checkpoints > Westard checkpoints, always, forever. sorri weebhaters

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    You will regret your mildly complimentary words about the N-Gage after five minutes with the godforsaken thing, assuming you can even find one with a copy of Tomb Raider anymore. Tomb Raider is on the less agonising end of the N-Gage spectrum, especially when compared to the likes of the Red Faction and Call of Duty ports, but it's still a grotesque way to play the game.

Save anywhere is still the best system for TR because it lets the player reward themselves for clearing tough obstacles with a save, unless the player is a tarded savescummer. I think that's what the save crystal system was intended to be - save it up until you've cleared a really challenging part, then give yourself the save - but they just didn't give you enough crystals most of the time, leading to moments like St Francis Folly which I'd say is the one map where your criticisms apply, since having to clear the challenge rooms five times each because you keep slipping off the big tower and the game only gave you one or two save crystals for the whole thing really is a pain in the dick.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Unreal Liturgist

Unreal
    no bro, you don't even know, duke nukem game.com is where it's at

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Semiurge Cipher

Semiurge
    The patch only adds situational music cues and chimes to Steam/GOG TR1, the basic ambient music tracks that play during levels are already there except for Unfinished Business - the original TRGold CD-ROMs and downloadable levels had no music or cues at all, and it's nice to have those levels included with the patch, in their full glory. All music and sound files are upgraded into high quality lossless versions. It also changes the water's color filter from the PC version's clear or light blue into turquoise, which makes the water look like mouthwash. Some apparently prefer that, and it fits the game's colorful look. The only problems with the Automated Fix that I've discovered are:

• It prevents you from running the standard Steam/GOG version without some tweaking, if it even is possible without reinstalling those. If you try to launch GOG's version from their shortcuts you see the custom dosbox window launch but after that, nothing happens. The shortcut's target file paths haven't been altered by the patch, so the cause is somewhere else.
    • All FMV's have a fixed volume level that can't be controlled with the in-game volume controls, unlike in the software-accelerated DOS version. GOG's Glide powered version had the same problem though, it's nothing specific to TombAti or Glidos.
    • You need to install (the included) third-party AV codec pack to see the enhanced FMVs.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Magnum Literate

Magnum
    TR1 followed by 2, I purchased the 2013 game but quit out at the first QTE and never returned.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Old Old x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Pound Meat Cipher

Pound Meat
    I don't even consider the Crystal Dynamics games real sequels. They're like the Disney Star Wars movies: expensive fan fiction.

3 is the pinnacle of the Core games, it's just a beauty, but it's not as fun or interesting as 1 or 2. The Last Revelation and Chronicles have their moments, but they get tedious and I've never finished either of them despite replaying them many times over the years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Semiurge Cipher

Semiurge
    TR2 had this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• :M x 2
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Hoo x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Semiurge Cipher

Semiurge
    Does TombAti add bloom to the game or is it just a static light source that gives that impression? I noticed there was some wall that seemed to have HDR/bloom in Unfinished Business, in "Return to Egypt" level where there are those three boulder ramps with panthers at the bottom.

^ Top  
  11. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    Been playing Tomb Raider 3, in one of the last levels right now and even though it seems it's somewhat of a glitch, god damn this shit was unexpected and terrifying as hell:

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.