Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Classic Computer Game Studios

Which was the greatest classic era computer game studio?

• Cyan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Firaxis

• ICOM

• Toys for Bob

• Delphine

• Psygnosis

• Spectrum Holobyte

• Cyberdreams

• Brøderbund

• Mindscape

• Infogrames

• Bitmap Brothers

• Mindcraft

• FTL Games

• Dynamix

• Starbyte Software

• Synergistic Software

• First Star Software

• Epyx Games

• Total voters

Jason Liang

Arcane
Blue Sky Productions, duh.
Jason Liang

Missing Falcom, Compile, Exact, Tecnosoft, Game Arts, T&E, Telenet (umbrella for Rennovation and Wolf Team), Fill in Cafe, MNM.

Please add.
These don't really fit the poll concept, for the reason that this was an era with a clear distinction between computer games and console video games, at least in the West. There's no Konami or Capcom on the poll either. Or even AliceSoft! So I can't count even developers for PC-88 or FM Towns titles.

I'm definitely fond of Blue Sky for Shadowrun, but the only PC game they developed that I've even heard of was Arachnophobia. I do have a Megadrive thread here.

Sorry to disappoint.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
These don't really fit the poll concept, for the reason that this was an era with a clear distinction between computer games and console video games, at least in the West.
All the developers I mentioned were primarily or exclusively PC game developers in the 80s, only branching out to consoles in the 90s. Falcom not till the late 00s.

Compile wrote possibly the first networked fighter with Girly Block. They had a monthly magazine for MSX and later PC-98.

Tecnosoft are responsible for Herzog and Thunder Force, they spawned Arsys which gave us Knight Arms, WiBarm, Star Cruiser.

Telenet gave us XZR, Valis, Granada, Sol-Feace, Xak, Megami Tensei etc.

MNM gave us Attack on the Death Star (without their ensuing legal battle with Sega, PC games would not have been legally able to have 3D camera switching), Gage etc.

Exact were pioneers of early 3D with Geograph Seal, they invented the 2D mech genre with Aquales.

I can go on and on. These are all incredibly celebrated PC games (mostly exclusive) of profound influence on all of gaming.

I mean if Koei is on the list, at least Falcom should be on the list twice.

There's no Konami or Capcom on the poll eithe
Only Konami kind of belongs due to their MSX output, but neither of these were primarily PC devs.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Again, PC-88 and FM Towns are in kind of a grey area, because of their non-PC compatible architecture. These could be considered computers rather than consoles (and even PC Engine), but "classic era" computing is pretty exclusively IBM PC, Amiga, Apple and the Commodore, for historic architecture, language, and market reasons.

Koei's titles actually had proper PC releases for their grand strategy games, and their games were widely recognized and praised by computer gaming critics of the time. Whereas Nobunaga's Ambition is recognized as a "PC" title, Xanadu/ Dragon Slayer is not. The same with Ys and Exile, since they were released in the West on PC Engine/ Turbografix 16, which was considered a console.

Also, Koei's titles basically pioneered the grand strategy genre, which is squarely associated with computer gaming rather than video gaming. Whereas action rpgs, tactical rpgs, etc... are associated with console gaming due to releases such as Military Madness, Warsong and Master of Monsters on PC Engine and Megadrive.

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Master of Monsters
Originally a (J)PC game, FYI.

IMO you should include Sharp X1, X68000, Fujitsu FM-7, FM Towns, NEC PC-8801, PC-9901 and MSX as PCs.

You have Psygnosis which was primarily an Amiga dev, so your definition of PC already included non IBM PCs.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I'm definitely fond of Blue Sky for Shadowrun, but the only PC game they developed that I've even heard of was Arachnophobia. I do have a Megadrive thread here.
Who? I'm talking about the Blue Sky that made Ultima Underworld.
... did you read the first post
pre-Looking Glass
I don't see the problem.

Jason Liang

Arcane
pre-Looking Glass
I don't see the problem.
Ultima Underworld was 1992, like Wolfenstein 3D. The thread is for games and devs before that time frame. If I included Looking Glass, I'd have to include Blizzard and Id as well. So basically we're looking at studios that existed before 1990. Blue Sky was 1990, Id and Blizzard are 1991. Afaik every studio on the poll existed before 1990.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
pre-Looking Glass
I don't see the problem.
Ultima Underworld was 1992, like Wolfenstein 3D. The thread is for games and devs before that time frame. If I included Looking Glass, I'd have to include Blizzard and Id as well. So basically we're looking at studios that existed before 1990. Blue Sky was 1990, Id and Blizzard are 1991. Afaik every studio on the poll existed before 1990.
Sounds like it qualifies!

Jason Liang

Arcane
Well Youtube's algorithm actually came up with something good today!

Loved seeing Roberta. This is full of goodies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom