Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Gauntlet

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

Jason Liang

Arcane
Choose!

$_3.JPG

$_1.JPG

gaunt2.png
Gauntlet_Side_Art_Decal_Set_1024x1024.jpg

gauntlet-400x500.jpg

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

THOR

Ever play Gauntlet IV on the Genesis? Actually a pretty cool game. It had two modes, one was classic Gauntlet with endless levels and another was more of an RPGish mode with four main labyrinths to go through with a dragon boss at the end of each one. Also was one of the very few four player games on the system.

THOR

Ever play Gauntlet IV on the Genesis? Actually a pretty cool game. It had two modes, one was classic Gauntlet with endless levels and another was more of an RPGish mode with four main labyrinths to go through with a dragon boss at the end of each one. Also was one of the very few four player games on the system.
Not to mention a kickass soundtrack by Hitoshi Sakimoto (who later went on to score Quest games, Final Fantasy Tactics and so on). It was fucking awesome.

Reality

Learned
I've always had a soft spot for Legends and Dark Legacy -

Legends I played on both an actual arcade machine and the N64 console, Dark Legacy I played on PS2.

I still think that the "auto attack arc" thing was clever - Warrior could maul enemies at like 160 degrees in front of him, BUT enemies beyond your main arc you could hit with stronger "side melee" attacks, which made this version of the archer REALLY good at melee since you constantly got your attacks upgraded to side attacks due to your narrow arc (there was also "back melee" attacks but that was just impractable). The arcade version unfairly favored wizard because the magic stat had a second function of affecting power-up duration //

Arcade is WORTH the effort of throwing up MAME - game is very different with actual timed health, not carrying a giant stack of toggle-able powerups, and level design changes (mostly cutting down the infamous switch puzzles). Also arcade has an exclusive glitch that makes the power-ups interact with your turbo attacks - this includes the 3 way and 5 way shot.

Falksi

Arcane
Usually Elf, sometimes Wizard

I played both the arcade & Megadrive version a fair bit & will pop it in the "Revisiting Old Games" thread when I get round to it. I always loved the idea of gauntlet, but the bland as fuck maps were offputting, and I wanted more RPG aspects & less action ones too.

I love how boz-eyed the characters are on this pic though......

maxresdefault.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom