Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] What are the two most important things to you in a computer roleplaying game?

What are the two most important things to you in or about a computer roleplaying game?

• Complex, tactical combat (can be turn-based or real time)

• Deep, sophisticated character creation and development

• A complex, compelling storyline

• Excellent graphics, presentation, and musical score

• The company who designed and/or published the game (reputation)

• The individual(s) who wrote and/or designed the game (e.g. MCA, etc.)

• Reactivity, believability/authenticity, and C&C

• Exploration and a varied, interesting game world

• Whether or not elves are included (kc)

Results are only viewable after voting.

FriendlyMerchant

Good combat and good character building is most important. It's the primary reason anyone started making computer rpgs, so that all the calculation aspects of an rpg are automated leading to more time in combat actually playing the game rather than figuring what the numbers have to be this time for your dice rolls. It's also the primary form of gameplay in rpgs.

Takamori

Learned
Good combat where I have to solve several problems with my build that I'm using and have a good reactive story so I can feel I'm roleplaying the character that I'm playing with.

Dorateen

Arcane
Full party creation and free, open exploration. The two go hand in hand, because I want as little developer influence as possible on the direction of our party's adventure.

The purpose of a developer in the context of a computer role-playing game is to deliver the systems, mechanics and serve as an arbiter of the rules, just as a Dungeon Master is intended. Their task is to populate a scenario with encounters and NPCs to interact with and then get the hell out of the way.

Player Agency, above all else.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Deep and rich charactersystems & -building plus reactivity and c&c.

I would’ve liked to choose exploration and tactical combat (that can not be real time) too, but if it’s only two then the firstly mentioned couple it is.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
C&C and reactivity comes first for me. Interacting with well written NPC's is a high point for me in any RPG, and the simulation of a living, breathing world hinges on reactivity. One pet peeve of mine is that very rarely NPC's react to the awesome feats you perform (eradicating a nearby tribe of Orcs, slaying a dragon, preventing a dam from collapsing, erecting a stronghold). They're like "well done heroes, here is your next task". I usually don't give a crap about the overarching story, the stories you forge for yourself are more interesting anyway.

Character creation and development comes second, and for me this is more important than deep tactical combat. I mean, interesting character development and tactical combat together is like a cake with cherries on top, but if I can strategically craft my party, battles could be auto resolved for all I care.

These are the two things I'm looking for in any RPG, the rest matters little to me.

Lhynn

Arcane
Robust character creation and sexy women. Everything else can be easily figured out from there.

__scribbles__

Educated
Satisfying character progression and reactivity go a very long way for me. Good level/encounter design is also a big plus.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
AoD is more C&C + exploration. Combat is secondary, you can even play without ever fighting.
Combat is not secondary non-combat playstyle is secondary, it's C&C+combat game, it has almost nothing to do with exploration.
I'll repeat my answer above about exploration:

I mean what was talked about earlier: discovery.

All AoD is built on uncovering artifacts and piecing together what happened in the past, while at the same time figuring out current political machinations.

Combat is secondary to that.

Codex Year of the Donut
AoD is more C&C + exploration. Combat is secondary, you can even play without ever fighting.
Combat is not secondary non-combat playstyle is secondary, it's C&C+combat game, it has almost nothing to do with exploration.
I'll repeat my answer above about exploration:

I mean what was talked about earlier: discovery.

All AoD is built on uncovering artifacts and piecing together what happened in the past, while at the same time figuring out current political machinations.

Combat is secondary to that.
It's a gamebook.
strange, I sure do remember nearly all the "exploration" being literally this:
46-image3099.jpg

47-image3100.jpg

48-image3101.jpg

"discovering old gods technology"
55-image3108.jpg

56-image3109.jpg

57-image3110.jpg

58-image3111.jpg

60-image3113.jpg

whoa

can you link me to the copy of the game you played, because apparently mine was broken

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The game has to keep me interested in playing it at that time.
The game has to have decent UI so as not to piss me off.

Those two options weren't there so... I chose exploration & varied game world. Exploration has always been something I enjoy be it text adventures, game books, arcade games, RPGs, strategy games. Hidden shit intrigues me. I also enjoy seeing bugs in game and exploits that the makers failed to fix. The other choices... eh. I mean parts are definitely a plus by my mood one day might just get tired of a certain game with those.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
[AoD]'s a gamebook.
Even if a lot of stuff in AoD happens in a dialogue window, that doesn't change the fact that the whole game is built around discovering artifacts, history, plots, and accessing wondrous locations. It's even designed so that your character build determines what you have access to; discovery is built right into the character system.

Maybe you want more stuff to happen in the 3D world, and that's a fine position, but it's a criticism of the graphical presentation of the game and how you interface with the world, not what it's about.

Codex Year of the Donut
[AoD]'s a gamebook.
Even if a lot of stuff in AoD happens in a dialogue window, that doesn't change the fact that the whole game is built around discovering artifacts, history, plots, and accessing wondrous locations. It's even designed so that your character build determines what you have access to; discovery is built right into the character system.

Maybe you want more stuff to happen in the 3D world, and that's a fine position, but it's a criticism of the graphical presentation of the game and how you interface with the world, not what it's about.
No, it's a criticism of the fact that besides the combat, the entire rest of the game could exist like this:
star-trek-voyage-to-adventure-pages.jpg

It is a digital gamebook with a combat minigame that can be(and must be in many of the paths) entirely ignored.

BanEvader

Combatfagchads are taking over.
Eventually storyfaggotlets will grow up and realize the only thing that matters is the mechanics, the numbers, logos.
Shit, I just realized the meaning of words is also metaphysical, like numbers.
I've just unironically ruined my day.

Why is presentation lumped in with graphicswhoring?
Combatfagchads are taking over.
Eventually storyfaggotlets will grow up and realize the only thing that matters is the mechanics, the numbers, logos.
Shit, I just realized the meaning of words is also metaphysical, like numbers.
I've just unironically ruined my day.
Words and numbers are just tools. When they fail to correspond to the underlying reality, they should be scrapped for better ones. Refusing to take part in this process of refinement is just escaping from reality into solipsism.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Good combat and good story.
Either one could be enough to carry a game (Planet Escape Tournament and Black Guards, for ex.), but both at the same time is a match made in heaven.

Singling out C&C and exploration is kind of redundant if the story is well made.
And character building one way or another is required for complex tactical combat.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Every time I see C&C I think of Command & Conquer.

.... well and C&H pure can sugar... that's the one commercials of the 80s.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Reactivity, Immersion and Roleplaying are the most important for me. But I completly refuse to play anything that looks like ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom