Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll]What sort of Racing Game does the codex indulge in?

What kind of game and what control method?

• Arcade racer with racing wheel and pedals

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
So what kind of racing game does the codex play, how and why? I recently came upon LGR's video summary of the NFS series and thought about how racing was such an important genre in the industry, being a major battlefield in the console and graphics wars. My own millennial racing experience consists of SupertuxKart, RoadRash and Flatout 2, all of which I played with keyboard.

Its interesting how racing games used to have track editors and much higher moddability, as well as apparently not requiring an expensive racing wheel setup to properly enjoy. So what does everyone think?

Are there good racing games to be played with keyboard or controller? Any modern ones?
Would a 60% serious racing game with a full featured track editor and modding support be better than a 100% real sim?
Are racing games in decline in general and what are some good ones for PC?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Where's the, whatever is fun option? I'll give any racing game a shot if it looks like fun, even if for the most part I stick with old arcadey games like Streets of SimCity and Road Rash.

Falksi

Arcane
Racist games? I like "Chase H-Coon"

FOSEWtS.png

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Yeah I'm in the whatever's fun wheelhouse too, but I feel like I'm missing out on something when most stuff being released today is all about realism. Weren't there good unrealistic racing games and a market for them? Everything on steam is aiming for more realism and the NFS franchise seems to be too, while Forza and Gran Turisimo were already there but were good to play with consoles? What's a good modern racing game, which is ''good'' as in fun and not necessarily realistic?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I never got into racing games, even if some of my friends have been addicted for a long time.

I had fun with Lego Racers, I guess. Viper Racing was also fun.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I prefer arcade racing games. The refusal to release underground 3 is a crime on ea's part. Split/Second is another fun arcade game but it serves more as a snack for the nfs underground starved gamer.
Kart racing can be fun but it's presence is absolutely abysmal on pc. I tried emulating Mario Kart and it can be fun, but it lacks a competitive integrity. Completely unbalanced mess that discards any notion of skill. But I guess it's a general trend of kart racing games.

I'm using a controller obviously, there is no reason to use a steering wheel and play simulators. Might as well drive a car at this point.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The arcadey ones.
Simulators bore me. I find more excitement in driving down to supermarket than in simulators.
Now matches against 31 supersonic machines that completely disregard Newton's laws. Now that's what I am talking about.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I tried emulating Mario Kart and it can be fun, but it lacks a competitive integrity. Completely unbalanced mess that discards any notion of skill.

Mario Kart is a party game.
The entire point of the game (and genre) is to be as less skill-based as possible, so that any one can beat it.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Rally sims with a racing wheel and pedals. Too bad I haven't owned a working wheel for ages, and I'm not so much into that stuff that I'd consider getting one. Apart from Dirt Rally there's not a whole lot to play anyway.

I feel rally games really are the most enjoyable form of racing games for a number of reasons. There are no wonky AI drivers fucking things up, it's just you against the clock. Every part of the road is unique, with no repetition. There's a lot of variety with different environments, road surfaces, weather conditions and times of day. There's the strategic element that comes with repairing your car between stages, with the expectation that you will break something along the way. Plus, rally drivers are the best in real life as well.

I've played some arcade stuff like the first FlatOut (mainly because I loved Bugbear's Rally Trophy), but I find most of that stuff utterly uninteresting, especially those big console series where your car keeps bouncing off walls like it's nothing and the AI was developed in a rubberband factory.

Reality

Learned
I bounce between interests.

I really like an Arcade game like Ridge Racer, Daytona USA, or Outrun.

But I also like the outrageous party game that is Forza Horizon (and Burnout before that)… I used to like Kart games as party games but these two kinda pushed me away for just as much fun and not blistering my hand. Getting drift boosts in Crash Nitro Kart is a worse safety hazard than Mario Party 1

My actual favorite though is a top-down arcade game like Super Offroad or Micromachines. So I voted for the last option.

Silly Germans

Have a N.I.C.E. day! is my all-time favorite racing game. Carmageddon 1 and Need for Speed 2 were also good. Mashed in local coop is also great.

i guess mostly horse and dogs races.

the only driving game i've ever enjoyed has been wip3out. sooner or later i'll take it again and fulfill my old wish: substitute its audio tracks with wipeout's which had the best one.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For newer games Wreckfest is awesome, liked Gravel too but didnt play it much yet, few hours. Installed Onrush today, didnt get to play it yet.

And mostly arcadish games.
Liked the Crew, NFS games, Flatouts and a few Forza Horizons but if I have to visit another festival I'll probably shoot someone.

Big fan of Trials series, probably dumped 1000+ hours in those games. Just played some multiplayer in Rising.

Tend to avoid simulators like F1, Gran Turismo, Dirt Rally and other unfun games. I got a real car for that shit.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
I looked up the games you guys mentioned and most of them are old / not on steam. What are everyone's recommendations to play those? I've seen the modern racing sims on steam and Wreckfest is on my wishlist for when it gets properly discounted but is there a universally accepted good racing game?

mk0

Learned
Heard good things about Dirt Rally a while back, so I decided to pick it up and try it. It was my first proper sim racing game, played with gamepad.

Learning how to handle all the different cars through the tracks was a lot of fun, even after the crashing to the nearby trees for the nth time. The game is a bit of a grindfest though and having to go through the same tracks in both directions gets old after a while. As you keep rising up the ranks in championship mode, the game starts demanding you to run through more track variations with increasing length, eventually it was just too much of a bother so I lost interest.

I can recommend the game if you're curious about the genre like I was, but whether you'll like it enough to keep playing after the first 10+ hours depends on you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom