Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

POLL - Which famous codexers should be in the Project Eternity Codex squad?

Which famous codexers should be in the Project Eternity Codex squad?

• Total voters

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
A new existential problem is troubling the Codex hivemind: who should join the RPG Codex marauding party (of 6 I suppose) in Obsidian's Project Eternity, in case we manage to get the necessary $5000?

26 September 2012 UPDATE:

The candidates are sorted in descending order, by vote count. The first group are the original candidates in the poll, the second group are the candidates proposed in the thread posts:

Code:
Cleve               60
Dark Underlord      56
Skyway              54
Prosper             53
Vault Dweller       51
Andhaira            46
Volourn             41
King Comrade        32
Crooked Bee         31
Jaesun              24
Saint Proverbius    24
Black Cat           23
Wyrmlord            19
Taluntain           16
Jasede              10
Glyphwright         8

mondblut            4
BLOBERT             3
Bryce               2
Rex Exitium         2
ScottishMartialArts 2
Admiral Jimbob      1
Andyman Messiah     1
Azrael the Cat      1
Country_Gravy       1
Draq                1
hiver               1
Major_Blackheart    1
Melcar              1
Qwinn               1

Grimlorn

Arcane
Cast my vote, but it kind of depends on whether you want the most outrageous posters for the group or the people that run this site and the reasonable posters for it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We could make a party of thinly-disguised industry figures (Todd, Gaider, Kotick, Riccitiello, etc) but I guess Obsidian wouldn't like that.

Or they could be Obsidian developers. ;)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'd rather our group didn't consist of actual Codexers. It'd be way more fun if it was 6 Codexian archetypes or symbols or something, imho. Like I dunno, Papa Mole the gunslinger, etc. (I'm bad at this, but someone could probably come up with something actually good.)
This.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
We could make a party of thinly-disguised industry figures (Todd, Gaider, Kotick, Riccitiello, etc) but I guess Obsidian wouldn't like that.

Or they could be Obsidian developers. ;)

Screw those guys, force MCA to write himself into the game and have the Codex npc's worship him as a god. If they take our money, they can't refuse. :troll:

Seriously tho, Crooked Bee's suggestion is very good.

I'd rather our group didn't consist of actual Codexers. It'd be way more fun if it was 6 Codexian archetypes or symbols or something, imho. Like I dunno, Papa Mole the gunslinger, etc. (I'm bad at this, but someone could probably come up with something actually good.)
This.

Thirded.

Also, does anyone know how to write 'General Discussion' in ancient Hebrew (or any other ancient language)? It should be a dungeon of Cthulu-esque horrors.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I agree; that'd make everyone happy. The Tranny, the Troll and the Turd or something.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yleinen Keskustelu? Finnish is at least as obscure as ancient aramaic.

One possibility would be to make the npc's aspects of the Codex subforums (with different names, obviously). General RPG discussion would be the elitist monocled gentleman :obviously:, General Discussion the chaotic evil raving lunatic, Retardoland would be... special and so on.

mondblut

Arcane
I'd suggest mondblut, but he would have to be round 18s (100s, whatever) in everything, have all the top equipment, and an ability to savescum to be real, which would spell instant game-over.

Volourn is a good pick to cast confusion, feeblemind and Tasha's irresistible hideous laughter.

skuphundaku

Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I agree with any proposal, but, as I was saying in the other thread, I think that the party should be something outrageous because it will be, most likely, just one, or a few, encounters. It won't be like the W2 location, which one could explore at leisure. This party should hit the PC party like a ton of bricks because it won't have the time to linger.

I advocate for using the names of real codexers because few, if any, outside of the Codex will recognize them, so it won't be distracting. As for "outrageous shitposters vs. staff", I would go with the shitposters because they are outrageous, thus more recognizable for everybody that can recognize them in the first place. Also, when they get killed, you, as the player, will have that warm and fuzzy feeling that you brutally slaughtered Skyway, Prosper, Andhaira and Wyrmlord. Come on Codexers, admit that that's what you're fapping to from time to time.:flamesaw: :troll:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It should be something very obviously codexian even for outsiders, I thought the point of putting those things in the game was to say HELL YEAH THE CODEX ALSO MADE THIS HAPPEN

It's hard to do with just NPCs but I'm sure you guys can work something that won't make me cringe everytime I replay like a party of GD shitposters. You'll also be paying $5000 for this little treat in case you forgot this detail.

Stinger

Arcane
Codex archetypes sounds great. We'll just have to make sure they still fit within the setting and the jokes/references aren't as glaring as Fallout 2 at its worst. Yeah it's cool that the codex helped make this game happen but Fallout 2's referencing was just annoying and unfunny and I'm sure for many people a bunch of enemies yelling "roofles! yo VD your gaem sucks olololol what's this popamole rtwp shit" will be equally annoying and unfunny.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What about a group of transient fractured souls? Homeless and ostracized vagabonds, they hold onto partial memories of past lives where they lived in privilege and high esteem, lamenting the downfall (decline) that occurred through no fault of their own. Their souls become more fractured every time they go through the cycle of life and death, losing a bit more of their memories each time. This drives their reincarnations slightly more insane, aggressive and desperate to relive the glory days, or holding onto the memory thereof.

The group that you meet seem to be at a boiling point in terms of holding onto what remains of their memories and their sanity.

Fits Codex to a tee, plus it mirrors TNO.

A premise for the group as a whole. Would definitely love dialog with the group first where you get a taste of all the crazy personalities of the Codex. Speech checks aplenty too where you try to talk them down, but you inevitably find that it is impossible to completely avoid combat with the Codex Diversity Squad.

If we go more with archetypes instead of actual forumers though, then what ones would we put?

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Without BLOBERT and SMA this poll fails.

I personally would love to see Mondblut, Draq and Azrael the Cat in the same party, don't know why... I know, not gonna happen.

skuphundaku

Patron
What about a group of transient fractured souls? Homeless and ostracized vagabonds, they hold onto partial memories of past lives where they lived in privilege and high esteem, lamenting the downfall (decline) that occurred through no fault of their own. Their souls become more fractured every time they go through the cycle of life and death, losing a bit more of their memories each time. This drives their reincarnations slightly more insane, aggressive and desperate to relive the glory days, or holding onto the memory thereof.

The group that you meet seem to be at a boiling point in terms of holding onto what remains of their memories and their sanity.

Fits Codex to a tee, plus it mirrors TNO.

A premise for the group as a whole. Would definitely love dialog with the group first where you get a taste of all the crazy personalities of the Codex. Speech checks aplenty too where you try to talk them down, but you inevitably find that it is impossible to completely avoid combat with the Codex Diversity Squad.
All good ideas!

If we go more with archetypes instead of actual forumers though, then what ones would we put?
This is the problem with the archetypes idea. Figuring out 6 archetypes is going to be more difficult than selecting 6 codexers and the results are going to be watered down compared to the full-flavor actual codexers.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
This is the problem with the archetypes idea. Figuring out 6 archetypes is going to be more difficult than selecting 6 codexers and the results are going to be watered down compared to the full-flavor actual codexers.

I agree, but narrowing it down to 6 Codexers will be difficult. Rex, Bryce, Volo, BROBERT, Prosper, Cleve, VD, DU, Saint, Andhaira, Hiver, Jaesun, mondblut, etc. There's just so many possibilities.

:thumbsup:

skuphundaku

Patron
Without BLOBERT and SMA this poll fails.

I personally would love to see Mondblut, Draq and Azrael the Cat in the same party, don't know why... I know, not gonna happen.
mondblut would be a good idea for the party. After all, he's the quintessential combatfag and the encounters with the Codex party will be solved, in most cases, by combat. Draq and Azrael are more like the philosophers of the Codex. They're too subtle (Azrael definitely is, Draq, depends on the day and topic of conversation). Azrael would bore to death most of the morons playing the game. Draq might work quite nicely. He could troll the player so that the player gets angry and stupidly attacks the Codex party.

skuphundaku

Patron
...Hiver...
I was thinking about hiver too, after that epic meltdown he had in the year in review thread. He doesn't have the staying power of his elderfags though.

Crispy would be a nice troll to all the virgnial morons looking for romances. We could have a sex-starved Crispy stalking the player throughout the gameworld and, if the player doesn't accept Crispy's advances, Crispy brings his gang and... I'll let your imagination fill the void.

Repressed Homosexual
This forum vanity stuff is always embarrassing and grating, please keep it as subtle as possible.

What I like the least is that tons of other communities have stolen the Codex's idea, and now the game will look like a zoo, with tons of inns that are dumb injokes.

Games are fun because of suspension of disbelief and self-abnegation, to a huge part. If you will it with tons of meta references and trying to cram it with attempts to show how clever you are, it is just cringe worthy. That's why 99% of current indie games are forgettable trash.

Stinger

Arcane
Yeah going by that Crustybot's idea sounds the best.

We can then work in additional, but subtle jokes in terms of the classes and the names of each member in the party but the overall concept sounds both pretty funny if you know what it references and interesting if you don't.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
I agree; that'd make everyone happy. The Tranny, the Troll and the Turd or something.

I like the idea of a travelling carnival of freaks and/or occultists. Would draw inspiration from, and also .

This way you can include some of these ideas more easily as well.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I see two options:

1. Warriors of Diversity - We use real name Codexers and go for the some-what silly and non-sensical result.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore - The groups natural leader (which everyone in the group disputes) and Doomsday Prophet, with titanium bones.
Prosper - Who represents sheer persistence and insanity.
Andhaira - Annoying: Which is better and why? Rat diplomacy.
Skyway - Everything is shit. He doesn't even want to be part of the quest, 'cause it's shit.
ScottishMartialArts - Requisite trans-gender individual (the model and character sheet should identify the character as "male").
BLOBERT - WERE ON A QUEST BROS.​

You could throw in NoMask (denies something tangible, real and obvious is in fact a lie and denies it ever happened) or FretRider. The upside being that upon meeting these characters in-game, you get the opportunity to murder all of them.

2 We use real Codexers but go "serious" and use Saint_Proverbius, Calis, Baby Arm, Rex Exitiuim, Vault Dweller and Deathy (because they're all no longer "officially" involved in the Codex).

Whomever is in, I'd say they're on a quest to "find the ring" so that they can "equip it".

The issue is: What do you want to represent the Codex? And what does represent the Codex?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom