Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Which is the greatest computer game ever published?

Which is the greatest computer game ever published?

• Pool of Radiance (SSI 1988)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (LucasArts 1992)

• THe Last Express (Smoking Car Productions 1997)

• Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games 2013)

• Day of the Tentacle (LucasArts 1993)

• Sam & Max Hit the Road (LucasArts 1993)

• Star Wars: Dark Forces (Lucas Arts 1995)

• Panzer General II (SSI 1997)

• Fallout 2 (Black Isle Studios 1998)

• Bioshock (2k Games 2007)

• Fallout: New Vegas (Obisidian Entertainment 2010)

• Victoria 2 (Paradox Interactive 2010)

• Dark Souls (Namco Bandai Games 2011)

• Europa Universalis IV (Paradox Interactive 2013)

• Deja Vu: A Nightmare Comes True (ICOM 1985)

• Nobunaga's Ambition (Koei 1986)

• Wizardry IV: The Return of Werdna (Si-Tech 1987)

• Wizardry V: Heart of hte Maelstrom (Sir-Tech 1988)

• Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny (Origin Systems 1988)

• Flashback: The Quest for Identity (Delphine Software 1992)

• Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (Koei 1994)

• Heroes of Might and Magic II (New World Computing 1996)

• Fantasy General (SSI 1996)

• Sid Meier's Gettysburg! (Firaxis Games 1997)

• Counter-Strike (Valve Corporation 2000)

• Age of Mythology (Ensemble Studios 2002)

• Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Rockstar Games 2004)

• Neverwitner Nights 2 (Obsidian Entertainment 2006)

• Europa Universalis III (Paradox Interactive 2007)

• Age of Wonders III (Triumph Studios 2014)

• Batman: Arkham Knight (Rocksteady Studios 2015)

• Dishonored 2 (Arkane Studios 2016)

• Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (Mimimi Stuios 2016)

• Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (Attic Entertainment Software 1992, remake 2013)

• Realms of Arkania: Star Trail (Attic Entertainment Software 1994, remake 2017)

• King of Dragon Pass (A Sharp 1999)

• Alternate Reality: The Dungeon (Paradise Programming 1987)

• Another World (Delphine Software 1991)

• Total voters

Ocelot

Learned
Deus Ex because it's cyberpunk.

On a more serious note, because it's a nice RPG that I got to play a few years ago and was amazed by how well it holds up. Must have been revolutionary back in 2000. It does need a graphical rework, though. At least for higher resolution support.

And because it's cyberpunk.

What? You've been oblivious to the GMDX thread in GRPG discussion for years?

-has higher res support
-has faithful graphical rework. See: link

Mod =/= rework.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Millennials would vote for Civ IV or Warcraft III, not Ass Creed's Origins or Batman Arkham Knight.

Don't underestimate millennials.

Ocelot

Learned
Millennials would vote for Civ IV or Warcraft III, not Ass Creed's Origins or Batman Arkham Knight.

Don't underestimate millennials.

New school games know Origins and Arkham Knight are superior. Ancient Halo 3 games are stuck in the past.

Bottom text.

Curratum

Should have included options to vote for at least like 3...

In no particular order of greatness because I can't really rank perfection, so alphabetically:

Baldur's Gate 2
Doom 2
Thief 2
Witcher 3

Thief and Doom are both the second installments because those reflect the custom content available for them, essentially making them both infinitely playable, with hundreds of hours of Thief 2 fan missions that are better than the stock levels and thousands of hours of Doom 2 custom maps.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Where is Blade of Darkness you mongoloid?
Guys no more shitty write-ins. I put up Realms of Arkania AND King of Dragon Pass, so far ZERO votes. If you think a game should be on the poll but isn't, it's not because I didn't consider that game, it's because I didn't think anyone would actually vote for it. Write-in ONLY IF the game you want to vote for personally is not on the poll, thanks.

Since I am the only one who voted for Dwarf Fortress so far, let me tell you why the rest of you are wrong: only the game that aims to simulate every aspect of reality can be the greatest, with the catch that it gets another 20-30 years of development.

As good as any other game on that list might be, think about this: once Dwarf Fortress is mature, it might essentially generate that game (or something like it) procedurally, as a tiny part of itself.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Witcher 3 tho? FFS, it's not even the best in the series.
Yeah, I'm surprised to see W3 mentioned on these forums so often. Would have thought the first game as natural PC RPG winner.

System Shock 2, but I'm a serious sucker for the whole "alone on a spaceship" thing which nets it a lot of points.
What are your top 5 alone on a spaceship games? (curious to see if Dead Space 1 and Stasis get a spot)

Master

Arbiter
System Shock 2, but I'm a serious sucker for the whole "alone on a spaceship" thing which nets it a lot of points.
What are your top 5 alone on a spaceship games? (curious to see if Dead Space 1 and Stasis get a spot)
Top 5? Sadly there aren't that many exclusively set on a spaceship games, let alone great or even just good ones. You would think a killer concept like that would get exploited more, but no.
There is SS2 as the ultimate such game, and DS1 as the second go to game... And that's pretty much it.
SS1 and DS2 were on spacestations so they don't count(yeah, strict rule but thats how it is).

Although, DS2 sucked pretty bad anyway. There has to be a feeling in these games that the ship is really there; but in DS2 sections would get closed off permanently and I felt there was nothing there, just black, empty videogame void. While in DS1 after that first chase when you go down the elevator, you could immediately go back up. It's hard to describe but you have to feel that the other parts of the ship really exist at all times: otherwise it wont work. Sounds immersionfaggy but thats how it is. In SS2 this was done the best and in DS1 they did it with various tricks but it was there. Don't really know of any other games that do it.
Haven't played Stasis, something bugged me about it and Alien Isolation appears to have this but there were some stupid parts too and in addition to a game being on a spaceship it also has to have no major flaws so... High standards + few games anyway = list of just 2 games. Unless im forgetting some hidden gem? ST Elite Force games? Beginning of Unreal? Prey?

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Top 5? Sadly there aren't that many exclusively set on a spaceship games, let alone great or even just good ones. You would think a killer concept like that would get exploited more, but no.
There is SS2 as the ultimate such game, and DS1 as the second go to game... And that's pretty much it.
SS1 and DS2 were on spacestations so they don't count(yeah, strict rule but thats how it is).

Although, DS2 sucked pretty bad anyway. There has to be a feeling in these games that the ship is really there; but in DS2 sections would get closed off permanently and I felt there was nothing there, just black, empty videogame void. While in DS1 after that first chase when you go down the elevator, you could immediately go back up. It's hard to describe but you have to feel that the other parts of the ship really exist at all times: otherwise it wont work. Sounds immersionfaggy but thats how it is. In SS2 this was done the best and in DS1 they did it with various tricks but it was there. Don't really know of any other games that do it.
Haven't played Stasis, something bugged me about it and Alien Isolation appears to have this but there were some stupid parts too and in addition to a game being on a spaceship it also has to have no major flaws so... High standards + few games anyway = list of just 2 games. Unless im forgetting some hidden gem? ST Elite Force games? Beginning of Unreal? Prey?

I find your particular fetish fascinating, don't need to justify it :)

Would strongly suggest you give Stasis and Cayne another go, preferably when you're not in a rush, with headphones on. The particular atmosphere you describe is done rather well, even though they're not AAA titles, the puzzles and endings are creme de la creme.

Master

Arbiter
Alright ill give them a go at some point, when i get the urges am in the mood:salute:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
66c6d1f725b31876479c7r3ona.jpg

Irata

Scholar
Had to go with Star Control 2 since you don't have Alternate Reality the Dungeon or Another World (Out of this World I think it was called in some places). Flashback was fun, but I prefer the first game (especially since I think it tells a story better than any other game despite not having a single line of human dialog and no real cutscenes).

Jason Liang

Arcane
Had to go with Star Control 2 since you don't have Alternate Reality the Dungeon or Another World (Out of this World I think it was called in some places). Flashback was fun, but I prefer the first game (especially since I think it tells a story better than any other game despite not having a single line of human dialog and no real cutscenes).

Having Flashback instead of Another World was a personal bias on my part (now corrected) since I wasn't confident either game would be voted. Both are clearly gems and sadly seem headed to obscurity. You are right that Another World has better plot, but I enjoyed Flashback's gameplay challenges better and... more cyberpunk.

Now I see that Chahi made a game in 2011 called From Dust. I definitely need to play that next.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is an absolutely useless poll. Many of the games on the list aren't even in the top 3 of their genre. A lot better would have been just to simply ask, what's the best game ever, forced choices add nothing of value.

Jason Liang

Arcane
It's a poll, not a list. Sure, there are some games that should reasonably be on this poll, but they haven't had any write-ins. In fact none of the five write-ins have gotten votes so far.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
CivII was the best game of the 1990's. It was head and shoulders above the strategy games of its time and every 4X game still strives to be what that game was.

wyes gull

Savant
RPG CODEX'S BEST PC GAMES (OF ALL TIME!)

1) Deus Ex
2) Thief: The Dark Project
3) Jagged Alliance 2
4) Heroes of Might & Magic 3
5) True Love

:cainapproves:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Kalin
https://www.lewdgamer.com/2019/08/06/fakku-bringing-back-true-love
FAKKU confirmed in a tweet that the company will be publishing a re-release of Software House Parsley’s classic dating sim, True Love.
In a vast ocean of linear visual novels, FAKKU has announced via Twitter that they will be reviving Software House Parsley's True Love. This is exciting news for fans of classic dating sims. Today’s tweet was a follow-up to a blog post made last month on the FAKKU forums. The tweet links to the now updated post which added the official trailer for the game.

Originally released in 1995 and published by JAST, True Love puts players in the role of a less than stellar guy who has been thrown out by his parents and forced to fend for himself. Each day, you must plan out your routine to build up various stats and make yourself appealing to the lady of your choice.

Below is the text from the original forum post.

With its 25th anniversary coming up in 2020, this is your chance to experience one of the grandes dames of the dating sim genre!

The main character is a single, nineteen-year-old Japanese college senior living in the fictional city of Meiai, forced out by his parents at the idea that independence may attract him a partner. On top of his quest to find a girlfriend, he is also indecisive about what direction to go in his academics. The game is played through a series of virtual days, consecutively spanning three months. At the start of each morning, players designate an activity to pursue for evening, night, and in the case of weekends or vacation, daytime: studying, practicing art, exercising, grooming, recreation, taking a break, going to work, shopping or fulfilling a promise. Each choice affects the overall being of the player at the conclusion of the day, and points are distributed among stats for passion, appearance, fatigue, scholarship, strength and art. Depending on the level of these stats, and the order of schedules made during particular days, the player will shift their romantic focus and possibly trigger nonlinear events and encounters over time. In addition, working generates income and shopping allows the player to voluntarily spend their money on items for themselves or to give as gifts.

An exact release date and price are still unknown at the time of writing. Though, we'll be sure to keep you updated.

Keep an eye out for more lewd news by following us on Twitter.

If you’d like to support LewdGamer directly, consider donating to our Patreon.

Also if anyone wants an update to the poll, now's the time to mention it. But only if you are actually going to vote for it.

Ultima Underworld?
Homeworld?
Yakuza?
CK 2?
Asscreed Odyssey?
Greedfall?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom