Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: Worst Obsidian RPG?

Worst Obsidian RPG

• Total voters

Smerlus

Educated
DS3 is the only correct response.

Ryan muller

Educated
Dungeon siege 3 or alpha protocol.

AP was cool on concept and really dynamic when it comes to reacting to how you play/choose but its just too damn flawed to consider good.

And dungeon siege 3 is just not a DS game at all

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Having played every game on this list, I originally voted Dungeon Siege 3, which was fairly bad but I had to change my vote. The Outer Worlds is so bad and utterly boring that I actually forgot it existed for a bit before seeing it in the poll. Forgetting it existed is actually a testament to how terrible The Outer Worlds is as a game since it's also the game of Obsidian's that I played most recently and within the last few months (per Steam, last played August 9th).

Honourable mention goes out to KOTOR 2 which wasn't great even at the time of release and aged like warm milk.

Everything else is at least passable despite various flaws. What's actually interesting to me, seeing these titles laid out like this is how many titles in Obsidian's catalog are boring as hell. I wonder if that's the Sawyer touch.

Dungeon Siege games are cheating to include. They're like one step above idle flash games.
One glance at the outer worlds screenshots told me that was generic boring garbage. The reviews seem to agree.

Alpha protocol is an excellent game with not very good gameplay. It's functional and all, but the shooting mechanics are just awful for a game that is played primarily as a shooter. Too bad, if the game could get out of its own way it tells a fun story.

Pillars of Eternity: I wanted to like it, I bought it at full price. It was so boring it put me to sleep. And the stupid kickstarter backer shit was such an immersion killer, although honestly, it probably didn't matter. All builds and attributes are perfectly balanced, so it doesn't matter what you do.

Kotor 2: It was in bad shape at launch. Judging it by what was released, it was an unfinished navel gazing bug fest with the worst tutorial since Fallout 2. With the restored content mod it's pretty good. Very nonstandard plot for star wars/bioware type stuff.

Stick of Truth: Do people really judge cartoon tie in games on the same criteria?

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
If Dungeon Siege 3 counts,

I`m voting Patherfinder Adventures

steam tells me that`s an RPG.

jf8350143

Liturgist
DS 3 is a diablo clone that plays nothing like diablo. you can't farm for loot and design your build around them, once you beat the game you can't play anymore so they just slap a vendor before the final boss and sells all the high level equipment but you can only afford a few of them.

so in the end you have a game has diablo style combat system (aka not very good) but takes all the fun part out of it. It's just pointless, it's like making a fallout 2 sequel focuse only on turn-based combat and has no story.

thesecret1

Arcane
Tranny for sure. Abysmal combat with shit writing thats further smeared by a thick layer of woke shit

DS3 is pretty good. Probably the best plot of an Obsidian game outside of KotOR2 and MotB. Also has decent (not great, but decent) gameplay which is fucking unheard of for an Obsidian game. I think NWN2OC is by far the worst product they've put out, but if we're being forced to consider MotB and SoZ as part of the complete package... yeah it's probably TOW or South Park.

That's a toughy. A lot of their games increase my blood pressure and make me gnash my teeth but most of them have a few redeeming features. I gotta vote NWN2 though, because NWN2 to this day infuriates me. Somehow I made it through the OC once (Slim pickings for new RPGs making me desperate most likely) but NWN2's interface is so fucking bad that to this day I can't stand to replay it and I've never once been able to finish Mask of the Betrayer or SoZ because I'll play maybe an hour and get so fucking angry at it that I delete it. Just thinking about NWN1's nice simple interface and then comparing it to NWN2's abomination where it feels like everything's got a fucking delay to it and then trying Mask and getting a bunch of fucking crafting materials all the time and I'm already getting mad. Don't know why NWN2 makes me so mad but it does.

Funposter

Arcane
PoE is the worst of the ones that I've played, but the games from the other half of the poll that I haven't touched are likely far, far worse.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

NWN2 only has a bad interface. That is not imo reason to consider it hte worst OBsidian rpg. Mainly when you have gear farming cooldown managing boredons like dungeon sige 3.

DS3 is pretty good. Probably the best plot of an Obsidian game outside of KotOR2 and MotB

Are you serious? The same decline from Diablo 2 to Diablo 3 happened from DS2 to DS3. Even if the story is good, is just a gear farming cooldown managing pseudo rpg with less rpg on it than visual novels.

diablo clone

I would't mind a diablo clone, as longs they are cloning the good diablo games(Diablo 1/2)

How a mage become better at casting fireballs?
  • Diablo 1 - Finding ancient tomes and reading it
  • Diablo 2 - Investing skill points
  • Diablo 3 - Finding a bigger adn sharper axe which you dimaterialize in casting animation
The problem of DS3 is not to be a diablo clone. IS to be a diablo 3 clone.

DS3 is pretty good. Probably the best plot of an Obsidian game outside of KotOR2 and MotB

Are you serious? The same decline from Diablo 2 to Diablo 3 happened from DS2 to DS3. Even if the story is good, is just a gear farming cooldown managing pseudo rpg with less rpg on it than visual novels.
I never played DS2, but DS1 is one of the most boring and non-interactive “games” I’ve ever played. I remember when it came out and everyone was cumming buckets about the graphics and seamless game world, but the tech is certainly not impressive today, and I would literally rather watch paint dry for an hour than play a minute of DS1 today. Implying DS3 is somehow a decline compared to the first game is insane.

I do think it’s fair to say that DS3 isn’t really a DS game, but it’s the definition of good for what it is: a competent couch co-op game with strongly above average writing. Is it a masterpiece? No, not at all. But it’s a perfectly good excuse to make some popcorn, crack open a couple beers, and spend some time with a buddy.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane

I never played DS2, but DS1 is one of the most boring and non-interactive “games” I’ve ever played. I remember when it came out and everyone was cumming buckets about the graphics and seamless game world, but the tech is certainly not impressive today, and I would literally rather watch paint dry for an hour than play a minute of DS1 today. Implying DS3 is somehow a decline compared to the first game is insane.

I do think it’s fair to say that DS3 isn’t really a DS game, but it’s the definition of good for what it is: a competent couch co-op game with strongly above average writing. Is it a masterpiece? No, not at all. But it’s a perfectly good excuse to make some popcorn, crack open a couple beers, and spend some time with a buddy.

Yeah, Diablo 3 is also not an accurate comparison to begin with. DSIII is based on a variety of older console action-rpgs, not Diablo. Gauntlet likes, Snowblind games (BG: Dark Alliance/Champions) and so on. As I already pointed out there's even a ton of references in that direction in the game in the form of animations, art and in writing.

Which is actually something Black Isle has a closer connection to than PC Clickers with their relationship with Snowblind (Chris Avellone working on both Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath) and even making BG: DA II (Although arguably badly)

Edit: The main fault you could give it here, is that it named itself DSIII instead of a spin-off like Throne of Agony. But IIRC the devs actually wanted to make it a spin-off, but Square Enix enforced the III.

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Outer Worlds and Alpha Shit are the two contenders. OW is the 'winner' because there is ZERO positives about it. NONE

I think TOW should get bonus points because it manages to waffle on endlessly about the problems of greed, nepotism, and not caring about anything other than profits, while itself being a symptom of all of those problems.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
One of the hardest poll to answer to.
Aside from KotOR 2, it's a steaming pile of shit, thousands shades of garbage.

I have no idea which one is the worst, never played the southpark garbage, Deadwater is terrible for sure but so are NWN2 and DS3 and I have no idea how bad outer world is...

SumDrunkGuy

Oh I forgot they made Stick of Truth. That game was hilarious. Only one I've played of theirs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom