Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor in 2018

Martyr

Arcane
so this year I've asked Santa for Ruins of Myth Drannor and it seems like I've been a good boy, because I've already spotted the Collector's Edition in a "hidden" place. :bounce:

I know this game has a not so favorable reputation, but I'd rather make up my own mind and see for myself. nonetheless I'm well aware that said reputation mostly has to do with bugs, lots of bugs.
usually I just play vanilla, bugs and rough edges don't scare me. but of course there's only so much a man can tolerate. what I'm asking: can this game be played from start to finish without using patches or mods? and if the answer to that is "no", then what patches and/or mods should I use?
what about minor bugs or glitches? are there any game-breakers or plot-stoppers? crashes? save-file corruption? what about widescreen-resolutions or widescreen-mods?
and afaik there's that issue that the game deletes your hard drive when you're trying to uninstall it??

in short: please tell me everything important about this game that I should know before I fire up that bad boy. (21 days to go!)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I have only used the official patches. No reason not to use those.

Well, OK, I also used a speed patch because I couldn't take the shit walking speed.
I guess that can be replicated with CheatEngine too if you want.

Sinatar

Arbiter
It's bad reputation isn't because of bugs. It's bad reputation is because the dungeon "design" is to put 70 identical rooms on a grid and to put the exact same enemy encounter in each room. Then to do this for every floor of the game.

It's boring as fuck. It's not a lost gem, it's not a "almost good with more dev time" curiosity. It's a bland, boring, poorly designed sack of festering dogshit.

Martyr

Arcane
I have only used the official patches. No reason not to use those.

Well, OK, I also used a speed patch because I couldn't take the shit walking speed.
I guess that can be replicated with CheatEngine too if you want.
I guess I don't need a speed patch, I've completed Wizardry 8 three times without using a speed patch.
never heard of the official patches though. is there an official website or does one have to browse the deep web in order to find those patches?

Inb4 Martyr is wondering where is his Program Files folder after he plays the game vanilla
why? does the game delete it's own files, too?

It's bad reputation isn't because of bugs. It's bad reputation is because the dungeon "design" is to put 70 identical rooms on a grid and to put the exact same enemy encounter in each room. Then to do this for every floor of the game.

It's boring as fuck. It's not a lost gem, it's not a "almost good with more dev time" curiosity. It's a bland, boring, poorly designed sack of festering dogshit.
if that combat encounter is done well, there's still some fun to be had. one could experiment with different approaches/tactics/spells.
and I bet it's still better than 99% of those modern shitfests they call "RPGs".

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Inb4 Martyr is wondering where is his Program Files folder after he plays the game vanilla

That game had one of the most infamous bugs of all time,a few people had reported that after uninstalling it it didn't just delete itself bug most of the program files folder as well,lol

Martyr

Arcane

That game had one of the most infamous bugs of all time,a few people had reported that after uninstalling it it didn't just delete itself bug most of the program files folder as well,lol
yeah, I've heard of that. but it shouldn't be a problem, it's a small game so I simply won't uninstall it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I’ve seen some in GoG wanting it there. I got it working on my old 98 machine and then Xp but I think I quit after the first fight. I did read the novel that came with it.

I guess one could just watch the play through and save themselves the trouble:

Martyr

Arcane
I’ve seen some in GoG wanting it there. I got it working on my old 98 machine and then Xp but I think I quit after the first fight. I did read the novel that came with it.
I've also voted for it on gog. as I've said, it can't possibly be worse than modern RPGs and I've already played almost every modern RPG, so why not go back to a possibly good old game?!
and
yes.png
that novel should be included in the Collector's Edition :bounce:

The uninstall thing was fixed with a patch regardless.
that's good to know. but I'd be surprised if I'd uninstall it. from what I've seen this game seems to be pretty similar to Temple of Elemental Evil.

Martyr

Arcane
never heard of the official patches though. is there an official website or does one have to browse the deep web in order to find those patches?

https://patches-scrolls.de/patch/3183/7/

For example. I don't remember if these are the latest ones, though.

And just in case the speed DOES get to you:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/PoR2/index_editors.php
thanks a lot!
if nobody's going to tell me that this game is unplayable in unpatched/unmodded state I will most likely play it vanilla, but it doesn't hurt to have those links if I decide to patch it up.

V_K

Arcane
I found it not unenjoyable. Its main problem is that its slooooooow. It's an isometric RPG, but its dungeon is designed more like a TB blobber - with lots of encounters designed to spread your resources thin. And they do their job quite well, it's one of the few games I've played where you really have to use the consumables and a level 1 scroll can make or break a battle. But unfortunately they take a lot longer than blobber or Goldbox battles would, which does become tiresome in some time.
Another issue is that a lot of the planned features were cut from the final game, but some of the encounters were designed respective to those features. So it makes them less interesting/more samey.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"nonetheless I'm well aware that said reputation mostly has to do with bugs, lots of bugs."

FAKE NEWS.

The game has tons of problems outside of bugs.

Limited race and class selection. Hardly any choice in character progression. You don't have much choice in terms of feats. Very limited spell selections. Combat is slow, boring, bland, and one dimensional. Dungeons are unspired. C7C doesn't exist and mostly linear. The worst version of a PC RPG of 3E D&D. It came out about the same time as NWN and TOEE. NWN was real time yet its D&D version was worlds superior to POR. It gave you lots of options, was less linear in both terms of C&C and whre to go within chapters and just pure superior. TOEE had issues in certain aspects but its implementation of 3E - while not perfect - was vastly superior in every way.

NWN - Awesome sauce

TOEE - Had flaws but legit 3E

POR2 - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! One of the worst games of ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In

First of all, when you use the word it's, it's only used when contracting the words it and is. It's is never used to show possession.

Secondly, what you state above about the game is patently false and misleading.

While it is true that the graphical and physical layout of the Ruins themselves is repetitive in some ways, and thus daunting for someone not accustomed to RPGs from this era, the rooms themselves do not have the exact same encounters every time and there are plenty of surprises and unique encounters and areas to qualify this as the kind of game it was intended to be: a game that simulates exploring and clearing the desolate Ruins of Myth Drannor that have been lying in state for ages before the players arrive.

Playing and completing PoR: RoMD is an exercise in patience. Yes, there are lots of undead as there are supposed to be. Hundreds of them, maybe thousands. Deal with it. But the one thing that tried my patience to its breaking point was the Ruins' layout itself, specifically how to get to certain areas by going up one set of stairs to gain access to one section of map on level one that is clear on the other side from where it appears to be, etc.

The game's strong points are, in my opinion, its heavy dungeony and D&D atmosphere, its challenging encounters, and its relatively simplistic honesty. You won't find any RTwP here. You won't encounter any stupid shoo the wisp door opening puzzles. Just good old fashioned dungeon crawling ruled with an iron fist.

I think anyone who completes this game deserves some kind of medal.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Martyr
I played the game back in the days, didn't finish it because of the issues mentioned (repetitive and a lot of backtracking) and also because i started (and never stopped) to play wizardry 8 wich is 1000000000000000000 times better.

Still, the game is kind of enjoyable, in the beginning and i've heard it gets better once you get out of the first dungeon with ghouls and skeletons.

Reinstalled it recently but i got the "invisible" (they were barely visible) PC/Monsters issue (which i didn't get years back), didn't try too hard to fix it and just hit the uninstall.exe (which works perfectly but i think i remember having some issues trying to uninstall it back then).

So, if you can make it work and you think you can endure the first dungeon go for it.

Backtracking and finding secret doors is another issue, i think some people bypass that by checking the detection rolls, when there is a check, there's something nearby.

Martyr

Arcane
oh boy, just bought the Wizardry Archives box on ebay in mint condition, so I can finally play Wizardry 2,3 and 5 for the first time and I've got another pretty box for my shelf +M

I found it not unenjoyable. Its main problem is that its slooooooow. It's an isometric RPG, but its dungeon is designed more like a TB blobber - with lots of encounters designed to spread your resources thin. And they do their job quite well, it's one of the few games I've played where you really have to use the consumables and a level 1 scroll can make or break a battle. But unfortunately they take a lot longer than blobber or Goldbox battles would, which does become tiresome in some time.
what you're describing there sound pretty good to my ears.
about the game being slow: as slow as Wiz8 or even slower?

Limited race and class selection. Hardly any choice in character progression. You don't have much choice in terms of feats. Very limited spell selections. Combat is slow, boring, bland, and one dimensional. Dungeons are unspired. C7C doesn't exist and mostly linear. The worst version of a PC RPG of 3E D&D. It came out about the same time as NWN and TOEE. NWN was real time yet its D&D version was worlds superior to POR. It gave you lots of options, was less linear in both terms of C&C and whre to go within chapters and just pure superior. TOEE had issues in certain aspects but its implementation of 3E - while not perfect - was vastly superior in every way.
ja, but I'm always trying to judge games on their own, comparing them to other titles doesn't do them any good (most of the time). I do believe that if I were to compare PoR: RoMD to ToEE then ToEE would be far superior. but I'm going to experience it with an open mind and see if it's fun to play.
and I've already played NWN and ToEE multiple times, so trying PoR2 shouldn't hurt :?

Just good old fashioned dungeon crawling ruled with an iron fist.

and that is exactly what I'm looking for !!

The dungeons are humongous.
that's a big plus ! (well, if the dungeons are designed good enough)

Martyr
I played the game back in the days, didn't finish it because of the issues mentioned (repetitive and a lot of backtracking) and also because i started (and never stopped) to play wizardry 8 wich is 1000000000000000000 times better.

Still, the game is kind of enjoyable, in the beginning and i've heard it gets better once you get out of the first dungeon with ghouls and skeletons.

Reinstalled it recently but i got the "invisible" (they were barely visible) PC/Monsters issue (which i didn't get years back), didn't try too hard to fix it and just hit the uninstall.exe (which works perfectly but i think i remember having some issues trying to uninstall it back then).

I feel you, Wiz8 is like a drug. I can literally play that game forever and never get bored.
oh god, I've seen the invisibility bug in a youtube video when I was checking out the gameplay last month. I hope that doesn't happen on my computer. always a bummer when you start up a game for the first time and then there's a bug right in your face ...[/QUOTE]

Darth Canoli

Arcane
By the way, maybe i'm wrong but now i think of it, i think one issue with secret doors was the game tried to detect them ONCE and if you failed, you were screwed.

Well, maybe i'm wrong or there is a solution to this (like exiting the area and coming back), anyway, good luck, find yourself a good guide with maps and specialize one character to detect secrets and at least another one to repel undead (or two).

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

https://patches-scrolls.de/patch/3183/7/

For example. I don't remember if these are the latest ones, though.

And just in case the speed DOES get to you:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/PoR2/index_editors.php
thanks a lot!
if nobody's going to tell me that this game is unplayable in unpatched/unmodded state I will most likely play it vanilla, but it doesn't hurt to have those links if I decide to patch it up.

Dude, playing a game fixed with patches provided by the dev of this game is still vanilla.

Propably your collectors edition is already prepatched, but if not, you really should apply those fixes. Don't be a retard who plays unfinished shit.

Gord

Arcane
It's by no means a good game, rather pretty mediocre and for large stretches quite bland.
I guess it's possible to get some enjoyment out of it if one is patient, doesn't mind repetition too much and is desperately looking for some (or any) fix of a DnD cRPG.
It also gets a bit better after the first (huge) dungeon, otherwise I probably wouldn't have been able to finish it.
In the end, if you anyway already have it, you can as well play it and see whether you enjoy it or not...

Morkar Left

Can't say anything really about encounter design but it can't be worse than ToEE bugbear nation. I disliked the game because the 3rd edition rules where completely dumped down (you can't choose your feats) and you couldn't split your party or let your rogue scout ahead and sneaking. Otherwise I would have liked a good 3rd edition dungeoncrawl.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom