Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Port Royale 3

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I see this is available for pre-order on Steam, launching 4 May. Surprised to see this since Ascaron doesn't exist anymore... Anyone know any details about this game, will it be any good? I kind of liked the second one, will it be more of the same, or did the new devs completely consoletard it? I'm not going to pre-order, just might check it out when it actually releases.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Not all at once, please guys. The servers can't handle it.

laclongquan

Arcane
Pity post.

Well, okay. I played both PR2 and Patrician 3, so this could worth checking. Later.
:rage: where is the link?
:mumble: damnit! plant this day! they cant even bother to post a link or an image.

EDIT: and no, I dont have steam. Blow me!

Morkar Left

"...UNLIKE ANYTHING ELSE ON XBOX360"

:what:

I just should stop looking at new non-indie games...

Morkar Left

This kind of game released on a consoles boggles my mind. I suspect it will have nothing in common with the former titles.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
LOL, so that's a yes to the question of being console-ified. How would it even work? I thought seeing Command & Conquer 3 on an XBOX was bad... One of these days we'll see Europa Universalis IV for consoles...
Goddammit Ascaron, why did you have to go and die?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Goddammit Ascaron, why did you have to go and die?
'cos the world didn't want or need a third shitty diablo clone with stupid pop culture references and static world that fucked itself up beyond repair if you looked at it funny during patching.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Well, disregarding that that Diablo clone was better than Diablo (II) in every single way including length, story, character classes, needing specific equipment for specific areas, graphics, music, interface (especially), variation in weapons and one or 2 other things, they did make other games, notably Port Royale 1 and 2....

Renegen

Arcane
From what I read about its features it appears to not exactly streamline but add new modes of play so that making money isn't the only thing you can do. I really liked the 2nd one so I'm looking out for this.

Morkar Left

I predict economy will be simplified to the level of Pirates!. At best, the game will be a nice Pirates clone but not an economic sim. And to know that I only had to read "...UNLIKE ANYTHING ELSE ON XBOX360". Mark my words.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Well, disregarding that that Diablo clone was better than Diablo (II) in every single way including length, story, character classes, needing specific equipment for specific areas, graphics, music, interface (especially), variation in weapons and one or 2 other things, they did make other games, notably Port Royale 1 and 2....
no randomized maps (which is a huge drawback in a game that you are supposed to replay constantly), no atmosphere, full of heisenberg bugs, a fucking bimbo barbie class with high heels and a BFG, much worse class balance on launch and the launch version had awesome non-existent memory protection or proper server-client architecture, meaning you could grab a simple memory editor and edit the fuck out of your hardcore server-side only character. they got so many reports of exploits and bugs on launch day that they basically had to rewrite the whole game for the first few patches.
the second one was better in that department but then again it came with way more heisenberg bugs which are a sign of very sloppy coding practices.

made

Arcane
Tried the first two PR games, couldn't get into them. Just didn't feel right for some reason. I enjoyed Patrician (was it 2? 2.5?) a lot more.

mondblut

Arcane
I totally loved Pat3, and when I tried PR2, it was Pat3's dumb, ugly, drooling, half-paralyzed, down syndrome afflicted step brother, one you'd be ashamed to show to your friends and would try to sell it off to some bleeding heart elderly american couple ASAP.

Since Pat4, by all accounts, spells a massive decline for Patrician, I can only shudder to imagine what kind of monstrous garbage the Pat4's dumb, ugly, drooling, half-paralyzed, down syndrome afflicted step brother could be.

Now excuse me, I've got a bunch of enemy ships to board. In *one* combat, mind you. Wink, wink.

Renegen

Arcane
Was Patrician 4 really decline? I almost bought back when it was on a huge discount. I got the feeling it had more features than Patrician 3. Personally, I always preferred PR2 to Patrician 3.

mondblut

Arcane
Was Patrician 4 really decline? I almost bought back when it was on a huge discount. I got the feeling it had more features than Patrician 3.

I didn't play it. I watched video of its naval combat, and it seemed like some awful RTS crap with next to none of player's involvement. Like that way of playing Pat 3 when you right-click an enemy ship once and leave the computer to do the rest.

Worst of all, you cannot board several enemy ships, or capture one relatively undamaged - you have to destroy the whole enemy fleet but one ship, damage it severely, then it would surrender. My most awesome impression from Pat3 was going against a pirate fleet of a crayer, a cog and a hulk with my whole fleet of 2 crayers and 3 snaikkas (all fully upgraded, armed and crewed) early in the game. Two of my ships changed hands twice during the awful mess, but in the end, having lost 2 snaikkas (one sunk, one boarded and gotten away), I went out a proud owner of my first hulk and my first cog, not to mention third crayer. That was so grand and epic. To think the despicable bastards ditched the whole mechanics altogether in favor of some criminally dumbed down "hey, we're about to get sunk so we surrender our last wreck still afloat, whatever" makes me flat out refuse touching it. That's a crime against gaming.

Personally, I always preferred PR2 to Patrician 3.

PR had a lot more ships, I'd love having so many in Pat. Everything else, ffffuuuuuuuuuu.

Renegen

Arcane
I wouldn't really care of either of those 2 games had no combat whatsoever, my impressions were based on the economic sim part of the games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom