Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Portal 2

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I liked the first one. The design, music and feel of the game were really well done.

Second one is looking good: more of the same, with some new gimmicks added. Hopefully it will be longer than the first one.

So I've preordered.

What does the Codex think - popamole bullshit or one of the examples of a decent game being made in the mainstream?

racofer

Thread Incliner
I think it will be a cool game, better than the first one for sure.

In Portal, Valve was unsure about its success so it didn't really got that much attention and development time. It was like an attempt at a new genre of first person puzzle game with lots of gimmicks. There's no doubt about its success now and because of that it should be much lengthier.

I will probably buy it just for the coop part, which is almost non-existent in today's games.

attackfighter

Magister
I'll trade some TF2 hats for it I guess. Hopefully it features another EPIC song like Still Alive.

Destroid

Arcane
I found it alarming that people could take 4 hours to complete Portal.

Hopefully I won't be inundated with people telling me the cake is a lie or some bullshit that isn't funny after Portal 2 comes out.

P1 was a great game though, looking forward to 2.

Topher

Cipher
I like Portal. It was a too much tutorial and too little game but all in all it was worth the playtime.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Great game but as already stated too easy and short, when things started to get interesting you were about to finish. From the videos I've seen looks like this will be no longer a problem (and some of them even look insane)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'll pick it up once it's at the inevitable 75% off discount. Valve hasn't done sequels very well in comparison to the first installment. Half-Life > Half-Life 2, L4D > L4D2 (arguably not even worthy of sequel price/status), etc.

Metro said:
I'll pick it up once it's at the inevitable 75% off discount. Valve hasn't done sequels very well in comparison to the first installment. Half-Life > Half-Life 2, L4D > L4D2 (arguably not even worthy of sequel price/status), etc.

I'll do the same, if only because I'm stingy like a Jew. Though I did quite enjoy the first game way to few games utilize the third dimension or physics as anything but eye candy so I really enjoy the few that makes good use of them. That said the first one was really short so I wouldn't say that it is worth the full price is the second is the same length.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Metro said:

Didn't play L4D, just L4D2. And it was worth the price and my time. :smug:

Nael

Arcane
Portal 1 was a fun way to test out my new video card at the time. Way too fucking easy and short though for me to be very interested in Portal 2. I'll get it on the bargain bin later for a rainy day.

Multi-headed Cow

Preordered it on Valentine's day and have been jerking myself off looking at pictures of it ever since.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Gragt said:
Metro said:

Didn't play L4D, just L4D2. And it was worth the price and my time. :smug:

The only way L4D2 improved on the original was the addition of a few new infected that countered some of the more common survivor strategies like clumping together. Aside from that it is worse in every other conceivable way. It isn't a bad game on it's own, it was just: 1) Not worthwhile as a standalone title; and 2) Inferior to the original.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Metro said:
The only way L4D2 improved on the original was the addition of a few new infected that countered some of the more common survivor strategies like clumping together. Aside from that it is worse in every other conceivable way. It isn't a bad game on it's own, it was just: 1) Not worthwhile as a standalone title; and 2) Inferior to the original.

It has melee weapons, which is a plus over the original. Not a big one though, and quite possibly the only other plus it has.

EDIT: Also, chainsaws. No zombie game should ever be without chainsaws. Try using one on a Witch.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
racofer said:
In Portal, Valve was unsure about its success so it didn't really got that much attention and development time. It was like an attempt at a new genre of first person puzzle game with lots of gimmicks. There's no doubt about its success now and because of that it should be much lengthier.
Probably, but I don't see how much they could really do to extend it and make it into a fully-fledged game. I'm predicting 10-15 hours tops.

Lumpy

Arcane
Portal was a pretty dumb fucking game. It's cool that they added new gameplay elements, but fuck, if I'm playing a first person shooter, would it be too much to ask to have something to shoot with?

Lumpy said:
Portal was a pretty dumb fucking game. It's cool that they added new gameplay elements, but fuck, if I'm playing a first person shooter, would it be too much to ask to have something to shoot with?
Captain obvious: it wasn't a first person shooter.

Multi-headed Cow

Dicksmoker said:
racofer said:
Probably, but I don't see how much they could really do to extend it and make it into a fully-fledged game. I'm predicting 10-15 hours tops.
That's being generous. Valve's said Portal 2's singleplayer mode is twice as long as Portal 1, and it also has an entirely separate and new co-op campaign which is also twice as long as Portal 1. So maybe 8 hours total, including both campaigns.

Nael

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:
Dicksmoker said:
racofer said:
That's being generous. Valve's said Portal 2's singleplayer mode is twice as long as Portal 1, and it also has an entirely separate and new co-op campaign which is also twice as long as Portal 1. So maybe 8 hours total, including both campaigns.

Hmmm... Co-Op could be a lot of fun in a game like Portal. I'll wait to see what the Hivemind thinks before purchasing still.

aron searle

Arcane
Pretty much as said, far to easy and short.

But the real problem I had with portal, was that their idea of making levels harder, was to increasingly make the solution more linear (In that you had to find the particular set of sequences to solve it, rather than trying to think round corners etc).

That doesnt really bode well for a sequel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom