Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Portal

mathboy

Liturgist
I have summer vacation and feel like spending some money, preferably on games. And portal seems pretty cool. Will it run on a computer from 2004 (or something) that could run Bloodlines (they have the same engine, right?), I have an AMD64 3000+ or something processor and 1 gigabyte of RAM and a geforce 6800 le (128mb) graphics card?

And more importantly are there monsters (or scary robots) in the game?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's a bloody puzzle game. There are no monsters or robots. The only enemies that can kill you are these cute little turrets, and the closes thing to a robot is GLaDOS, which just kind of hangs on the ceiling and tries to taunt you.

Secretninja

Cipher
Orange box is cheap as fuck tho, and a very solid investment if you are into going BOOM HEADSHOT!!!!1

Secretninja said:
:baka da yo:
Multiplayer shooters are for cards, Half Life was dull as fuck and Portal tried too hard to be amusing (plus was short as hell). Don't waste your money.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
DraQ said:
Portal was good and had specific atmosphere (up to and including credits sequence), however it was:

-short
-relatively simple
-not an FPS

-railroaded as fuck

With a gun that shoots portals, they should've left the puzzles somewhat open ended.

Your computer will run it just fine, actually Portal should run better than Bloodlines cause it is actually optimised. And don't waste your time with "don't waste your money" advises, Portal is great, and the whole Orange Box is great, as long as you want your games simply to be fun, and not be able to cure cancer or some shit like that.. Certainly grab the whole Orange Box, as Portal by itself is too short to justify a purchase.

Multidirectional said:
Your computer will run it just fine, actually Portal should run better than Bloodlines cause it is actually optimised. And don't waste your time with "don't waste your money" advises, Portal is great, and the whole Orange Box is great
Everything Valve has shat out has little to no replay value unless you're braindead. Just pirate it and spend your money on some Indie game where the devs actually need your money and support.

Satori said:
Everything Valve has shat out has little to no replay value unless you're braindead.

Then I'm braindead, cause I finished Half Life, Half Life 2 with Episodes, and Portal multiple times and I know I'm gonna do it again sometime. You know when a game has replay value? When it's fun. Who gives a fuck if it's linear.

mathboy

Liturgist
I don't think I'll buy the Orange box. I tried playing the original Half-life and actually managed to get to some place where you have to jump on big stone blocks. Then I saw some rope thing hanging down that I thought I'd climb. I looked up and saw it was not a rope, but a monster hanging from the ceiling, so I quit and uninstalled the game and hardly dared leave the house for a couple of days. That's not something I want to reexperience.

Hory

Erudite
Multidirectional said:
Then I'm braindead, cause I finished Half Life, Half Life 2 with Episodes, and Portal multiple times and I know I'm gonna do it again sometime. You know when a game has replay value? When it's fun. Who gives a fuck if it's linear.
You know when someone is braindead? When he finds un-fun things to be fun.

Hory said:
You know when someone is braindead? When he finds un-fun things to be fun.

Good thing there are people like you to guide these poor souls then. How would anyone know what's fun without you telling them..
You know what? Math can be quite fun sometimes. Also a lot of people find it un-fun. So I guess those who dare to enjoy it are braindead..

Hory

Erudite
That wasn't a very inspired example to pick. The whole pleasure in math comes from solving new problems. No one likes "solving" the same problem repeatedly.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
mathboy said:
I don't think I'll buy the Orange box. I tried playing the original Half-life and actually managed to get to some place where you have to jump on big stone blocks. Then I saw some rope thing hanging down that I thought I'd climb. I looked up and saw it was not a rope, but a monster hanging from the ceiling, so I quit and uninstalled the game and hardly dared leave the house for a couple of days. That's not something I want to reexperience.

It's 10 euro. I dont think you can buy portal alone?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just played it. Some levels need a bit of thinking, but it's still way too easy. But it's fun. And at some places kinda creepy. And funny. I liked it, even though most of the puzzles were really obvious.

Hory said:
That wasn't a very inspired example to pick. The whole pleasure in math comes from solving new problems. No one likes "solving" the same problem repeatedly.

I wasn't looking for an inspired example, I was just telling you that no one is an authority on "what's fun". It's perfectly fine to enjoy the same game all over again even if it's linear. And it's fine not to. But it's not fine to assume someone is braindead for liking something you don't. Unless.. they like "Teletubbies". Then they're surely braindead.
Videogames ar not only about "solving problems", they are also an experience, and someone might want to relive a certain experience again if he enjoyed it. "Solving the same problem" doesn't really apply to shooter games like HL anyway, they can be just as challenging and fun the second time as they were the first time. Puzzle games are a different story, but some of them, like Portal, can entertain you multiple times too.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hory said:

Autists do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom