Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Portal

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
mathboy said:
I don't think I'll buy the Orange box. I tried playing the original Half-life and actually managed to get to some place where you have to jump on big stone blocks. Then I saw some rope thing hanging down that I thought I'd climb. I looked up and saw it was not a rope, but a monster hanging from the ceiling, so I quit and uninstalled the game and hardly dared leave the house for a couple of days. That's not something I want to reexperience.

Ah, just man up and buy the Orange Box. The Half-Life 2 series is as good as linear corridor shooters get, and, even if you never touch Half-Life 2, you still get Team Fortress 2 which is entertaining as hell.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DraQ said:
JarlFrank said:
I just played it. Some levels need a bit of thinking, but it's still way too easy. But it's fun. And at some places kinda creepy. And funny. I liked it, even though most of the puzzles were really obvious.
That's more or less how I felt about it.

Including the creepy part?
I found the semi-hidden sections behind the walls with paranoid messages scribbled around to be far more distressing than any jumping zombies in survival horror games. The fact that you're the only living being in the whole game makes it even more eerie.

Also, are there any mods for this game?
Portal has fucking potential, there *have* to be mods adding some more complicated puzzles. The concept is awesome, I want some levels where I have to think for longer than just a minute in order to find the solution.

Hory

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
Portal has fucking potential, there *have* to be mods adding some more complicated puzzles. The concept is awesome, I want some levels where I have to think for longer than just a minute in order to find the solution.
I've heard of Portal: Prelude.

Multidirectional said:
I wasn't looking for an inspired example, I was just telling you that no one is an authority on "what's fun".
Actually, one who has experienced and understands two kinds of pleasures can be considered a competent judge as to which is preferable.

It's perfectly fine to enjoy the same game all over again even if it's linear.
If it would be perfectly fine then there would be no experience more enojyable, but there is: an experience which is fun AND new.

But it's not fine to assume someone is braindead for liking something you don't. Unless.. they like "Teletubbies". Then they're surely braindead.
Oh, so there is a level at which it's fine to assume they're braindead? If so, who decides this level, if not ourselves? If you are entitled to decide Teletubbies is it, I am just as entitled to decide that replaying HL2 is it. And that's what I've done.

Videogames ar not only about "solving problems", they are also an experience, and someone might want to relive a certain experience again if he enjoyed it.
I didn't claim that no experience should ever be relived, but that HL2 isn't good enough to be worth it, especially not more than once, as in your case.

"Solving the same problem" doesn't really apply to shooter games like HL anyway, they can be just as challenging and fun the second time as they were the first time.
Which, in the case of HL2, is "not challenging at all". And they can't be just as challenging as the first time unless one learned NOTHING during the first playthrough. Which is why he'd be braindead.
Puzzle games are a different story, but some of them, like Portal, can entertain you multiple times too.
I know that it can entertain you, what I'm suggesting is that you shouldn't stick to being entertained by the same things repeatedly. A pig is entertained by repeatedly rolling in the mud too.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
JarlFrank said:

As Hory mentioned, Portal: Prelude is out there. It's proven pretty popular since launch and got quite a bit of coverage on its own. I never had the time to play all of the way through it, but it seemed to be longer than the original game and was quite a bit more challenging in the first half and supposedly becomes a hell of a lot more challenging in the second half.

I will warn you though, the tests are being run by a pair of "wacky" technicians whose lines are (in the English version) poorly translated, poorly performed, and mind-numbingly not funny. Maybe it works better in the original French, but I'm sure as hell not going to learn a fourth language just to play a mod.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
mathboy said:
I don't think I'll buy the Orange box. I tried playing the original Half-life and actually managed to get to some place where you have to jump on big stone blocks. Then I saw some rope thing hanging down that I thought I'd climb. I looked up and saw it was not a rope, but a monster hanging from the ceiling, so I quit and uninstalled the game and hardly dared leave the house for a couple of days. That's not something I want to reexperience.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Portal shuts off my computer, for some reason. I really don't understand why. It's not my computer overheating, I play much more graphically and processorly demanding games (including other HL2 engine games) without any problem. It's weird and I honestly have no clue what's causing it. I just play for maybe ten minutes then pzzzshewwwwwwww power is off.

Wild Slop

Arcane
There really should be more puzzle games done like this.
Sort of reminded me of a very queer but fun game on the NES called LOLO.

Anyway I downloaded a few mods for this and they either didnt work or while inventive ended up being shit.
I think the designs were probably good on paper but when translated to FPS were unacceptably dizzying.
I would like to know of any good finds as far as mods go.

Wild Slop

Arcane
zing!
though fair enough.

It still has good potential if nothing else but to bring about puzzle games into this modern year 2000 world of here.
I liked it for what little it was too

Hory said:
But it's not fine to assume someone is braindead for liking something you don't. Unless.. they like "Teletubbies". Then they're surely braindead.
Oh, so there is a level at which it's fine to assume they're braindead? If so, who decides this level, if not ourselves? If you are entitled to decide Teletubbies is it, I am just as entitled to decide that replaying HL2 is it. And that's what I've done.

That was a joke you idiot.. You sure do love yourself don't ya? Or should I say - your internet-self? I'll leave you to it then, and rather go look for braindeads like myself to talk to.

mathboy said:

If a game scared me like that, I'd probably be playing it for years to come. Maybe that makes me a masochist, besides braindead.. Seriously though, you had to be joking here.. Were you?

Hory

Erudite
Multidirectional said:
lolcat-brain-today-415.jpg

racofer

Thread Incliner
Multidirectional said:
mathboy said:
If a game scared me like that, I'd probably be playing it for years to come.
Medium_8222006103806PM_Prague-Skater-Kid-opt.jpg

Seriously though, you had to be joking here.. Were you?
Maybe that makes me braindead..
Yep.

skyway

Educated
Was it ever sold separately cause I finished it in 2:31 minutes. What the fuck?!
10-15 levels of tutorials drag it actually down to 2 hours. I am probably better of watching the shitty Terminator sequel or playing some flash games.
But the style was nice, turrets were nice, humor was nice. Puzzles were shit.

DraQ

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Including the creepy part?
I found the semi-hidden sections behind the walls with paranoid messages scribbled around to be far more distressing than any jumping zombies in survival horror games. The fact that you're the only living being in the whole game makes it even more eerie.
Mildly, but yes. I found this strange mixture of creepiness and humour very palatable.

Worth playing. If you get the Orange Box, TF2 is the far better deal in there. Actually, just think of it as buying TF2 and getting three hours of good times in Portal.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I heard they're planning a sequel. Hopefully with less tutorial levels since the players already had those in the first game.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Matt7895 said:
What the fuck?
Portal is the story of an enslaved woman raising a child and teaching that child how to kill her, giving her the tools, knowledge, and motivation she needs to do it, to release her from a life she hates but can't escape on her own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom