Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Possible Horror RPG With Renovated Grimoire Engine

Would The Grimoire Engine Be A Good Fit For A Retro Horror RPG?

• Incredible Incline Beyond Imagination

Votes: 100 46.3%
  • Meh

Votes: 16 7.4%
  • Will Wait For Humble Bundle

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I'm Still Waiting For The Grimoire Manual

Votes: 31 14.4%
  • I Am A Sex Slaver of Vietnamese Orphans

Votes: 22 10.2%
  • Will Never Be Released

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Hurr Durr I will Pirate It

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters

Trash Player

Scholar
Something like Microprose's The Legacy?
You can sell to a wider crowd with the right marketing: Hardcore ADV might be a broader niche.

mondblut

Arcane

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I agree that the amount of characters needs to be much less, maybe four with up to 2 recruitables.

Also, this reminds me - Samhain needs to be much more scary. This has been mentioned before: after the epic story of the dwarf, when you enter it, it's a bit of a let-down. Making Samhain more scary might be a good practice run for a horror RPG with the same engine.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Scary is something very hard to do, especially with games whose entire framework is build around empowering players. I love horror movies for example, but I have a hard time if anybody would ask me which was the last time something scared me in a movie. Just throwing in some nice gore won't do it, and honestly I don't know what would.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Scary is something very hard to do, especially with games whose entire framework is build around empowering players. I love horror movies for example, but I have a hard time if anybody would ask me which was the last time something scared me in a movie. Just throwing in some nice gore won't do it, and honestly I don't know what would.

One thing as it relates to Samhain is to include some scary looking powerful monsters, eg. something like Hobknob. Give them some nice immunities and special attacks that fit the place. Maybe a monster with one-kill attacks should be there too. Basically something that's difficult for a party at that level.

I'd also like to see more connections between Samhain Underworld and other parts of the overworld - maybe additional underground areas. Might be good to include something like not being able to rest in some parts - that was a scary part of the Eye of the Beholder 2 lowest dungeons. That tarantula- and ant-infested level was great.

Speaking of which, there should more powerful giant spiders and maybe also some completely dark areas as well in Samhain.

Ivan

Arcane
200.webp

osefmarcher

Literate

Scary movies doesn't scare anymore, at least for me.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
People who think horror in games (RPG'S) doesn't work can't differentiate between jump scares and horror :smug:

Jump scares don't mean anything in a game where you eventually gain enough levels to stomp on everything.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
People who think horror in games (RPG'S) doesn't work can't differentiate between jump scares and horror :smug:

Jump scares don't mean anything in a game where you eventually gain enough levels to stomp on everything.

uh... yes. That was my point. Survival horror games can be good at jump scares, but that's not what you're after in an RPG. Horror on a gothic novel level OTOH is achievable and much more :obviously: than jump scares. Ravenloft source books being a good example (not counting the Ravenloft CRPG's as they were too primitive from a storytelling perspective).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Horror on a gothic novel level OTOH is achievable and much more :obviously: than jump scares.

Not that I've noticed, and there's no shortage of RPGs with horrific elements.

(not counting the Ravenloft CRPG's as they were too primitive from a storytelling perspective).

And you think the Grimoire engine isn't? :) It's more primitive than even the Ravenloft engine.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Horror on a gothic novel level OTOH is achievable and much more :obviously: than jump scares.

Not that I've noticed, and there's no shortage of RPGs with horrific elements.

What is a horrific element? Basically any monster would qualify. And most RPG's don't try to emulate a feeling of horror with such elements, not seriously or fundamentally anyway.

(not counting the Ravenloft CRPG's as they were too primitive from a storytelling perspective).

And you think the Grimoire engine isn't? :) It's more primitive than even the Ravenloft engine.

Welp, I don't know what kind of tweaks Cleve has in mind. But Grimwah has showcased some atmospheric art, as well as Cleve's love for descriptive text. Sufficient elements for some gothic horror. But Grimwah is exceedingly goofy and light-hearted, as intended. We don't know anything about Cleve's literary talent apart from elaborate shitposting and over-the-top fantasy.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I love horror movies for example, but I have a hard time if anybody would ask me which was the last time something scared me in a movie. Just throwing in some nice gore won't do it, and honestly I don't know what would.

It takes a stupid person (or a woman) to really get scared by a horror movie. Fear is an instinctual response to perceived danger. If you think a screen is dangerous in any way then you are stupid. No ifs ands or buts about it. It takes suspension of disbelief beyond the normal possible levels to delude yourself into this.

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It takes a virgin to not be scared by the long hair woman ghost. Such ghosts are representation of female other than objects and a real man should realize the danger of such trope.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And thus the great journey to the Incline 1.5 begun!Now will i be alive in 20 years,and how many comrades in arms will be lost along the way?Oh well......Cleve lo vult!

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Making yourself believe you're swinging a sword at a firebreathing giant reptile is for chads, but making yourself believe that something may come out of your screen and grab you is for little girls! xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I really like the idea of a Lovecraftian/Horror RPG.

I'm not so sure on the reuse of the engine. I have absolutely no insight, but maybe it's worth talking about with Vault Dweller since they debated using their previous engine versus switching to a new one.

The last time I saw you discussing a Lovecraftian RPG you mentioned Unity (no idea if you were thinking isometric or blobber at the time).

Regarding the RPG, I hope there's inspiration from mythos creatures besides Cthulhu

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom