Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

post-Myst 3d adventure games

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
https://af.gog.com/game/of_light_and_darkness_the_prophecy?as=1649904300

This game was recently released on gog and, though I've never heard of it, looking at the screenshots got me thinking about that period following the success of Myst in which 3D adventure game became quite the fad. Most of the games were far below the quality of Myst and usually suffered from the problems that all games following a trend suffer from (it's like X but with Y) but what most of them had in common were outrageous, surreal art direction and strange, minimal stories (these qualities may have been a result of a lack of direction rather than a deliberate artistic choice, but the result is still more interesting than the kind of force fed stories we get now days). Related to the minimal stories they also shared a propensity for an atmosphere of loneliness, perhaps as a result of the static environments and the sparsity of npcs or interaction with other characters in general. Despite never having never played the majority of them the sub-genre is ingrained in my memory from the box art and screenshots I looked at as a kid. In particular 9: The Last Resort, I saw this game in a store when I was young and it imprinted itself into my memory. I have yet to actually play the game, and maybe it's better that way.

85086-9-the-last-resort-windows-other.jpg

pc-59329-51424883198.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

General 3d adventure (specifically the myst style first person, static environment kind) games thread I guess. Recommendations, opinions etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You cant go wrong with Zork series (not all of them are 3D first person games), Zork Grand Inquisitor for instance is one of my all time favorite adventure game.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I played a few (ok, a lot) of those back in the mid-90s, unfortunately for a lot of them all I'm left with is the name and no memory of anything else. Best example is Obsidian - I know I played it, but that's it. I somehow remember SPQR being reasonably good. RAMA was really good though YMMV on the (long) timed sequence at the end. Not sure if 7th Guest counts, it's more of a puzzle game, it has a very clear-cut separation between puzzle and environments (unlike Myst-likes), and it's also not terribly good once you get past the wow factor (for 1993). Zork Nemesis is a great game but it's Zork in name only, though I tend to forgive it for being so damn good. Grand Inquisitor is much more true to the Zork humour and lore and is about equally good as a game, both are great choices. The Shivers games are... interesting, they have some odd mechanics that don't seem like they belong in adventure game (such as a health bar in 1). I really do like the story in 2, which is told quite subtly and leaves a LOT of the piecing together to the player; it's easy to find what you think are plot holes just because you missed on some well-hidden clues here and there. I'm not sure how much Black Daliah and Atlantis and Ring qualify because I don't remember a damn thing about them (other than Ring being inspired by Wagner's operas - how loosely IDK)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom