Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Predict sales/critical response for D:OS 2

Thread title

• Huge failure R.I.P. Larian

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Worse than D:OS

Votes: 34 16.2%
  • About the same

Votes: 39 18.6%
  • Better than D:OS

Votes: 80 38.1%
  • Overwhelming success! <3

Votes: 49 23.3%

• Total voters

mogwaimon

Magister
- Game Master Mode, for people who loved NWN or D&D, but don't have the time for GMing anymore or who want to get in the experience, but don't care to read 400 pages of rules or buy books fo 200$.

This. I hope it becomes the new Neverwinter Nights and D:OS2 is immediately followed by years of module creation and "hakpaks" that make whole new games in the D:OS2 engine.

On that note I really do need to get around to finishing D:OS1 before the next one. I always get stuck in the first town when I play, of my two attempts I stopped the first time because the Enhanced Edition was announced the day after I started so I said screw it I'll wait for that now and the second attempt I spent like 6-7 hours running around the first town alone doing all these little quests before I finally left and ended up shelving it because I got busy at work.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
just saying that I expect the same people who write the previews will do the reviews and they'll likely therefore focus heavily on the same pieces.

A review is supposed to provide a complete, balanced evaluation of a game; it has a different role to previews.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
just saying that I expect the same people who write the previews will do the reviews and they'll likely therefore focus heavily on the same pieces.

A review is supposed to provide a complete, balanced evaluation of a game; it has a different role to previews.

Games journalism must be a bright and shining thing in your universe. :D In my universe, it's mostly staffed by people doing the bare minimum necessary to meet their word count and deadlines, and they therefore frequently use their previews as the starting point for their reviews, both because it means they already have their talking points in order and because it means they don't have to actually play the game to completion.

Anyway, I salute your optimism, but this is very much a tangent from my original point, which was that I think reviews of D0S2 will live or die on whether the new features are sufficiently baked for the reviewers to tout them as major advancements over the first game or whether the reviewers instead end up feeling like the game is a case or 'more of the same.'

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
This. I hope it becomes the new Neverwinter Nights and D:OS2 is immediately followed by years of module creation and "hakpaks" that make whole new games in the D:OS2 engine.

On that note I really do need to get around to finishing D:OS1 before the next one. I always get stuck in the first town when I play, of my two attempts I stopped the first time because the Enhanced Edition was announced the day after I started so I said screw it I'll wait for that now and the second attempt I spent like 6-7 hours running around the first town alone doing all these little quests before I finally left and ended up shelving it because I got busy at work.

I hear ya, especially since the graphics look a bit more suitable now :D.

I also thought about this one: maybe the arenafights will also turn into a game itself? It's fun enough and as long as they get the moment for Part 3, I'm happy.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Games journalism must be a bright and shining thing in your universe. :D In my universe, it's mostly staffed by people doing the bare minimum necessary to meet their word count and deadlines, and they therefore frequently use their previews as the starting point for their reviews, both because it means they already have their talking points in order and because it means they don't have to actually play the game to completion.

It's bad, but it's not that bad. Most reviews tend to at least make a token attempt at covering a game's major points.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

It's bad, but it's not that bad. Most reviews tend to at least make a token attempt at covering a game's major points.
Key word: Token.

ZoddGuts

Augur
Two weeks away from release and it's already a top seller on Steam. Barring a backlash, it's going to sell well. Larian is going to make bank. What was the total sales for D:OS? Steamspy has it at 1.4 m, add a couple more hundred thousand sold on GoG should be around 1.7 total. I could see D:OS 2 selling at least crossing the 1 mil mark.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Two weeks away from release and it's already a top seller on Steam. Barring a backlash, it's going to sell well. Larian is going to make bank. What was the total sales for D:OS? Steamspy has it at 1.4 m, add a couple more hundred thousand sold on GoG should be around 1.7 total. I could see D:OS 2 selling at least crossing the 1 mil mark.

It already has around 250,000 in Early Access; I wonder what that means for release sales?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I'd like to have hope in man that most people are reasonable and do not purchase an unfinished product until it is released, so hopefully the EA sales are a minor portion of release sales.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Game trailer is pretty. good showing nice graphix, xtreme explosions and the novelty of playing as undead will attract shallow amusement from the press enough to create hype, all the things necessary for the average steam monkey. Don't worry guise, this will sell more than D:OS 1, the average steamtard is an useless human being but they will be useful to keep Larian afloat until they release their next projects at least.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I'm seeing a lot of excitement. Coop, skeletons and lizards are all popular. This is the only RPG I've ever tried to get my normie friends to play and they've said it looks cool.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Anyone that plays an alpha so much they get bored of it before the finished game is even done, doesn't deserve to have nice things. Also omg 4 days omg.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I am just a guy who plays games for fun, since before playing games became a subculture of insecure puber scrubs.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Anyone that plays an alpha so much they get bored of it before the finished game is even done, doesn't deserve to have nice things. Also omg 4 days omg.

I'm proud to say i didnt touch the alpha even once, despite having access to it. Dont want to spoil myself.

2 days :bounce:

Wild Slop

Arcane
Top of the list

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=topsellers

Z7g73Fv.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom