Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prediction: D&D's next book after Frostmaiden is Iggwilv's Nethertome

Gyor

Savant
WotC hinted via an audiophile that Iggwilv is tied to a book being announced August 24th, so I did some research on Iggwilv and I learned about a in setting book called Iggwilv's Nethertome which was Iggwilv's personal Grimoire, with Planar lore, Monster/Creature lore, Spells and magical secrets, the kind of stuff of the UAs this year. It all stuff you'd expect to in find in her Nethertome.

Bara

Arcane
Website called Nerdarchy has a bigger preview up of whats in the book. Apparently psionics made it in finally.

The book is called Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything.

Covers
tasha-png.125013
uq3hs7w0xjwb-png.125011

• EXPANDED SUBCLASSES. Try out subclass options for every Dungeons & Dragons class, including the artificer, which appears in the book.
  • MORE CHARACTER OPTIONS. Delve into a collection of new class features and new feats, and customize your character’s origin using straightforward rules for modifying a character’s racial traits.
  • INTRODUCING GROUP PATRONS. Whether you're part of the same criminal syndicate or working for an ancient dragon, each group patron option comes with its own perks and types of assignments.
  • SPELLS, ARTIFACTS & MAGIC TATTOOS. Discover more spells, as well as magic tattoos, artifacts, and other magic items for your campaign.
  • EXPANDED RULES OPTIONS. Try out rules for sidekicks, supernatural environments, natural hazards, and parleying with monsters, and gain guidance on running a session zero.
  • A PLETHORA OF PUZZLES. Ready to be dropped into any D&D adventure, puzzles of varied difficulty await your adventurers, complete with traps and guidance on using the puzzles in a campaign.

Couple things I'm wondering about/comments after seeing that list

Group Patrons - After seeing how lazy with was with Theros book this is probably going to just be a reprint of the stuff they added in the Eberron book

Magic Tattoos - in the UA material they took up attunement slots right to avoid power creep?

Rules Options -
Nice to see stuff on sidekicks again hope it'll be something like henchmen from the old days.

Rules for parlaying with monsters? What for? Isn't this already covered via skill checks what else can they add to this?

The only thing I could see is if they add a range of successes or failures for rolls instead of a all or nothing which any DM with a brain can do without it needing to be spelt out for them.

Puzzles - Why in the world would they print puzzle rules in a book that players will be buying in mass and reading?

Other than that they really couldn't come up with a better name?

Xanather's guide to everything flows better and fits an insane beholder this again comes off as lazy.

Also, like the eberron book cover 1 looks bland and boring compared to the alt cover.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
Also from that article here's the stuff about Orgins and Races in the new book. It appears they're not abandoning the tern race and racial it seems at least not yet.

And their explanation for negative stats modifiers for orcs and kobolds is that they were meant to be options for "monstrous adventures" separate from standard options.

Which is probably their last ditch attempt to keep some races with negative modifiers like the yuan-ti as im told their power is only some what kept in check by negative modifiers.

The design goal was tools for players to create truly unique characters with amazingly magical origins and backstories.

This includes modifying traits during character creation to better reflect the story players want to tell and offers a lineage template with fill-in-the-blanks tools to totally personalize characters. The Lineage System introduces a new way to approach creating and playing characters and adventures in 5E D&D, a responsibility the design team takes very seriously as stewards of the game. During the press briefing Crawford and Tito explained how TCoE is one of multiple books demonstrating a shift in how D&D handles things like race.

Other changes include the removal of negative racial modifiers for certain races from Volo’s Guide to Monsters via errata. Crawford explained how their original intention for races like kobold and orc was as Monstrous Adventurers, separate from standard character options. This is why those options are included in their own section in VGtM along with options considered more powerful than standard in some cases, like yuan-ti and to a lesser extent goblins. Because this context is lost through the way so many players engage with 5E D&D through online tools and resources like D&D Beyond, it became a pain point for players and TCoE will include updated versions. Hooray for kobold and orc enthusiasts!

The Lineage System offers tools to create characters not bound by a species archetype. I love the way Crawford explained how this modular piece of content interacts with existing 5E D&D material. The core game, what is presented in the Player’s Handbook and other sources, illustrates an archetypal adventuring character like an elf. Choosing this option for your character represents playing Elfie McElferson in other words — the exact kind of elf that comes to mind when you think of D&D elves. The Lineage System gives players and DMs tools to disentangle characters’ personal traits with cultural traits. And worry not! The path to customization is very smooth according to Crawford, who emphasized it is not complicated at all.

Thankfully this is a rules option outside of the core book so if it sucks it can easily be skipped and dropped out of play. Hell may be a way to filter out table groups even for both sides of it.

Bara

Arcane
Some of the class options I've see being confirmed sound fun but for things that actually matter in the long run we get zip.

I believe the general rule is unless with releases a splat book in the setting its off limits. With the exception being critical role as they have the rights to that.

So with the rumors saying we're getting another MTG splat book after this book it's safe to say wotc is never touching the old settings ever again.

Which I think is all for the better as again I still don't trust with to give any justice to those settings.

Gyor

Savant
Some of the class options I've see being confirmed sound fun but for things that actually matter in the long run we get zip.

I believe the general rule is unless with releases a splat book in the setting its off limits. With the exception being critical role as they have the rights to that.

So with the rumors saying we're getting another MTG splat book after this book it's safe to say wotc is never touching the old settings ever again.

Which I think is all for the better as again I still don't trust with to give any justice to those settings.

You'd be wrong. Not only did WotC ask for folks top three traditional settings in the current survey, also the last UA is not for TCoE, it seems strongly like its for a Ravenloft Campaign Guide type book.

Gyor

Savant
Also from that article here's the stuff about Orgins and Races in the new book. It appears they're not abandoning the tern race and racial it seems at least not yet.

And their explanation for negative stats modifiers for orcs and kobolds is that they were meant to be options for "monstrous adventures" separate from standard options.

Which is probably their last ditch attempt to keep some races with negative modifiers like the yuan-ti as im told their power is only some what kept in check by negative modifiers.

The design goal was tools for players to create truly unique characters with amazingly magical origins and backstories.

This includes modifying traits during character creation to better reflect the story players want to tell and offers a lineage template with fill-in-the-blanks tools to totally personalize characters. The Lineage System introduces a new way to approach creating and playing characters and adventures in 5E D&D, a responsibility the design team takes very seriously as stewards of the game. During the press briefing Crawford and Tito explained how TCoE is one of multiple books demonstrating a shift in how D&D handles things like race.

Other changes include the removal of negative racial modifiers for certain races from Volo’s Guide to Monsters via errata. Crawford explained how their original intention for races like kobold and orc was as Monstrous Adventurers, separate from standard character options. This is why those options are included in their own section in VGtM along with options considered more powerful than standard in some cases, like yuan-ti and to a lesser extent goblins. Because this context is lost through the way so many players engage with 5E D&D through online tools and resources like D&D Beyond, it became a pain point for players and TCoE will include updated versions. Hooray for kobold and orc enthusiasts!

The Lineage System offers tools to create characters not bound by a species archetype. I love the way Crawford explained how this modular piece of content interacts with existing 5E D&D material. The core game, what is presented in the Player’s Handbook and other sources, illustrates an archetypal adventuring character like an elf. Choosing this option for your character represents playing Elfie McElferson in other words — the exact kind of elf that comes to mind when you think of D&D elves. The Lineage System gives players and DMs tools to disentangle characters’ personal traits with cultural traits. And worry not! The path to customization is very smooth according to Crawford, who emphasized it is not complicated at all.

Thankfully this is a rules option outside of the core book so if it sucks it can easily be skipped and dropped out of play. Hell may be a way to filter out table groups even for both sides of it.

My hope is that it will allow us to fix races that were designed with poor mechanics (Genasi/Kenku) and make home brewing races/subraces easier for folks.

Also Yuan Ti Purebloods have no negative modifiers, the issue with them is some folks seem them as over powered.

Bara

Arcane
You'd be wrong. Not only did WotC ask for folks top three traditional settings in the current survey, also the last UA is not for TCoE, it seems strongly like its for a Ravenloft Campaign Guide type book.

They've had the old settings in every servey for ages so I don't put much stock in that anymore.

As for Ravenloft splat book I doubt it. At most it'll be another tome of foes book just with a Ravenloft spin on it and some player options sprinkled in. Probably Van Ricten's guide or something like the other rumors say.

If it ends up at least stating out major foes in Ravenloft instead of just being random beasts that would fit in a Ravenloft campaign that would still work but after seeing how lazy they were about the Theros splat book where they didn't even stat out that settings titans I remain firmly unoptamistic.

Gyor

Savant

They've had the old settings in every servey for ages so I don't put much stock in that anymore.

As for Ravenloft splat book I doubt it. At most it'll be another tome of foes book just with a Ravenloft spin on it and some player options sprinkled in. Probably Van Ricten's guide or something like the other rumors say.

If it ends up at least stating out major foes in Ravenloft instead of just being random beasts that would fit in a Ravenloft campaign that would still work but after seeing how lazy they were about the Theros splat book where they didn't even stat out that settings titans I remain firmly unoptamistic.

I think it will be closer to Eberron: Rising From the Last War, but I agree it will likely be called Van Ricten's guide to... With setting lore, the Mechanics one would expect for Ravenloft like for the mists, Supernatural Gifts themed to Gothic Horror like Werewolf, Demon Possessed, Vampire, Ghost, Flesh Golem, ect..., with the twist that it will also cover Innistrad, because Innistrad isn't as big or detailed as Ravenloft, not even close, and they are both Gothic horror settings over lapping heavily, so alot of the stuff , like Supernatural gifts could do double duty for both settings. So maybe a chapter on the Core, a Chapter on Islands/Conclaves, a Chapter on Innistrad, a small chapter for player options, and a Chapter for DM mechancs and some monsters.

Gyor

Savant
I also think Zendikar is still a setting possiblity for early next year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom