Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prelude to Darkness COLLECTION

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The thread to consolidate everything you would want to find about Prelude to Darkness.

The post will be actively updated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Official versions' download links and their patches:

Latest:

Version 1.8 + Fowyr's fix

Older:
Version 1.7
Version 1.41 + patch 1.5 or crack to 1.41
Version 1.0
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unofficial versions:
OpenGL version by asfasdf & Tramboi RECOMMENDED! MOST STABLE
GitLab: https://gitlab.com/ptd3/ptd-1
Installation instructions for Windows version 2.12 (with Fowyr's fix included):
1. Download and install PtD 1.8
2. Download and unpack binaries.zip
3. Copy events.txt and people.txt to PtD folder
4. Copy bin-32 folder contents into PtD folder
5. Run the game through Prelude32.exe
Version 2.10:
1. Download and install PtD 1.8
2. Download and unpack 1.8 fix
3. Copy 1.8 fix's people.txt into PtD's folder and overwrite
4. Download and unpack binaries.zip
5. Copy events.txt to PtD folder
6. Copy bin-32 folder contents into PtD folder
7. Run the game through Prelude32.exe
Running version 1.8 in Windows 10
RPGCodex review
The list of articles about the game posted on RPGCodex
Source code (v 1.5) download link and related discussion

Collection of various information from the official website (which is now defunct):
Gameplay tips
Creating and building a party
Recruitable NPCs
Trainers
Armor
Weapons
Magic items
Potions
Creatures
Map:
X1I3Vf2.jpg
Music files:
Citadel
God
Monastery
Official walkthrough:
Main plot
Random encounters
The Academy
The Barrier Fortress
The Citadel
Crossing East
Ironwood
Jerrock
Kellen
Land's End
The Monastery
Alternative link to collection of above files:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/2posqvrjthbyd/PtD_files[/quote]

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Added installation instructions for the community version as well as changed the link to 2.10 as 2.11 has major issues with loading the game.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Added it some time ago, thanks for noticing.

Updated instructions for 2.12 which appears to work well.
I am assuming you did so Sept 1st, 2022 when I made the post :D.

Konjad

Patron
Thanks, I always wanted to play! Any tips for beginners?
Have one char with high charisma, and have party members of both bloodlines. You can only join the rebellion (if you wish so) if you speak with a certain person with a party member of "People of the River" bloodline, although for the first playthrough I would rather not recommend rebellion much, rather for a replay to have a different storyline, because it ends kinda abruptly at some point.

Other than that check out links I've provided in the first post.

Hermit

Novice
Have one char with high charisma, and have party members of both bloodlines. You can only join the rebellion (if you wish so) if you speak with a certain person with a party member of "People of the River" bloodline, although for the first playthrough I would rather not recommend rebellion much, rather for a replay to have a different storyline, because it ends kinda abruptly at some point.

Other than that check out links I've provided in the first post.
Thanks!

AdolfSatan

Arcane
No, and due to the way everything’s baked, even something as small as changing the display typeface has proven pretty much impossible, so you’ll have to make do with what’s there.

To add to Konjad’s post: have one character with the literacy skill or you won’t be able to keep a journal.

Konjad

Patron
Which version is the most stable? 2.12?
Probably 2.10 and 2.12, but I guess nobody completed the game with these yet, but from what I've played they seem pretty fine, so do try 2.12. If you encounter any bug (especially major one) then report it here, asfasdf seems to fix them within a day or two :)

Spike

Educated
Probably 2.10 and 2.12, but I guess nobody completed the game with these yet, but from what I've played they seem pretty fine, so do try 2.12. If you encounter any bug (especially major one) then report it here, asfasdf seems to fix them within a day or two :)
Wonderful, thank you for the prompt response! Any significance between the "unofficial" fixes and the "official" ones?

Konjad

Patron
Wonderful, thank you for the prompt response! Any significance between the "unofficial" fixes and the "official" ones?
Actually, the "official" and "unofficial" is the same, idk what was supposed to be under official if anythig... will fix it later, anyway just ignore it, follow my 2.12 instructions and you will have everything set

Nm6k

Scholar
I followed the instructions for the 2.12 version but when I try to run the 32.exe I get a runtime error but the other exe works fine for some reason. Never mind I fixed that problem but now the game crashes on the start up screen Fixed that too so far the game is working

Last edited:

Joseph King

Literate
Going to give this a try, thanks to everybody behind patching the game and collecting files for it.

Jinn

Arcane
I've been trying to change my resolution, but it doesn't seem possible with the most current version. Am I missing something or is this a common problem? I click the new resolution but nothing happens and I don't see a "apply changes" button anywhere.

Jinn

Arcane
Oh, also, I think I sped up my party movement on accident, but I can't remember what hotkey I hit to do it and there isn't anything in the options menu about it. Any idea on that too?

Velut

Literate
I followed the instructions for the 2.12 version but when I try to run the 32.exe I get a runtime error but the other exe works fine for some reason. Never mind I fixed that problem but now the game crashes on the start up screen Fixed that too so far the game is working
Having the same problem with 32.exe. How did you fixed that?

Irminsul

Literate
Having the same problem with 32.exe. How did you fixed that?
Same here. Can you share your solution, Nm6k? Or is it fine with the other exe?

Irminsul

Literate
Velut the 32 exe worked with compatibility mode for me and the game ran really well for quite a number of hours but I'm stuck in the cave north of Lands End now, the game just won't let me out, it freezes every time I click the exit. I tried 30-50 times now with several times rolling back to earlier saves. Don't know if its worth skipping the quest just to get stuck later in the game in another cave.

Is this still being worked on? In the source code download link thread from last december they say they haven't found any more bugs. Am I just really unlucky?
The game itself was fucking great so far, I can see the inspirations VD got from this.

Jinn

Arcane
Loaded my save game the other day and both my companions were completely different from the ones I rolled. Different portraits, different stats, different classes. They're not even the default characters, which would at least make a bit of sense. How does that even happen? What the fuck?

Not a huge deal because I'm still near the beginning, but very annoying as the character creation process takes a fair amount of time.

volklore

Arcane
Is there still wizardry/superstition tips to not get it to crash in the new versions ?
I played this a while ago and I had found a bunch of stuff to prevent game from crashing too much (Like never reloading from the game but always quitting and relaunching, always keeping a save in before entering a dungie in case the game would not let me out again by crashing when clicking the exit door). I ended up aborting that playthrough as I got tired with this stuff.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
FFUUUUUU I'm checking your save Irminsul , and I can't make sense of the mess the game makes with different coordinates system.
I'm sorry to say it won't be a quick fix

Last edited:

Velut

Literate
Do I need to have speech and strength to pass intimidation checks? Or only strength will be enough?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom