Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Primordia - A Point and Click Adventure - Now Available

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The most enjoyable part of the game for me was when they found the skeleton in front of the dome and thought it was a broken robot.
I love that moment, too. Vic deserves the credit for selling the scene. What I proposed was "a human skeleton here, with the radio transmitter in his hand ...; when you look at the corpse, H describes it as 'The framework of a broken down robot. Looks like it was made of some cheap material.'" Vic then rendered the beautiful scene and came up with the idea of calling the hotspot "Endoskeleton." I then revised the dialogue quip. But in my opinion, it's "endoskeleton" and the art that conveys the whole scene. Horatio's quip is almost wholly unnecessary.
I see that you guys have a taste for dark and depressing themes.
I always say that I like melancholy but not depressing. This may be an illusory difference, but the way I put it, I am totally fine with a story about unavoidable annihilation provided the message is to die on your feet, holding true to your beliefs. But I cannot abide the same scenario where the message is, "Don't bother, you'll only humiliate yourself by trying." Hence, I love The Road and The Wrestler but find 1984, American Pastoral, Requiem for a Dream, etc. intolerable. I suppose it's just a matter of letting me have my delusions.

bddevil

Educated
Funny piece of fan art:
DhlmJlEXUAI05SG.jpg
:D

Also pretty good:
Dhl6nLeW0AIOg1Y.jpg:large
Abe's voiceover is perfect for both.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
He's amazing. When we got his auditions for Primordia, I basically wanted to cast him in every role.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been playing through this game for the last couple days and I think I'm reaching the end. The excellent job you've done on this only makes me even more excited for the upcoming Fallen Gods. The setting, ambience, art direction, and puzzles are all amazing, and the game has been paced wonderfully. I particularly liked the riddle with Oswlad and Cornelius, as I spent a lot of time re listening to it so I didn't bungle the answer. Quality work, I'm sure the little spin off book will be just as good as the rest of the game.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Thanks! So glad you liked it. That puzzle/riddle is taken from the Law School Admission Test (LSAT), so maybe it’s a sign!

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Guys:

We in the process of putting together a significant patch to Primordia that: (1) ports the game to the current version of AGS (resolving many engine-level tech issues that have bedeviled us); (2) incorporates the French, German, and Spanish patches so that you don't need to download them separately; and (3) fixes a number of small but annoying glitches that were either introduced in the last patch (the removal of the music from the flashback sequence, for instance) or have persisted from day one (a weird issue where you could get a misnamed item if you assembled the mobile energy sensor in an atypical order). Because of the quantity and quality of these changes, there is a significant risk of violating the Hippocratic Oath, so we could use some testers. Any volunteers?

I'm going to wait until the translators are through doing their own testing, so it's not an immediate need.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Depends on what the testing would entail, as I only want to volunteer if I'd be able to do the job adequately enough. MRY

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'm going to re raise the old question. Is there ever a possibility of a re-release of this with maybe a slightly higher resolution (and maybe some more fun special features like even more commentary or a "making of")? It can still be retro but just upping the resolution a little would go a long way in turning on even more people and re-selling it. I guess I am just hopelessly fixated on this game! I would love a good excuse to throw more money at Wormwood!

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
No. It would be (relatively) easy to upscale the backgrounds, but a fairly big pain to do so with the sprites. Once we did that, I'd want other things improved, too, like the sound effects and some of the voice acting. But it seems lame to improve all the sizzle when the design itself suffers from fairly significant flaws.

In terms of more commentary, I've talked so much about making the game in so many threads, not sure what I could add. (Read aloud those posts, maybe?)

Also, I'm taxed to the absolute limit right now with my day job, family, Strangeland, Fallen Gods, and some other hobby work. The core revisiting of Primordia is going to be a quality of life patch that fixes lots of bugs, ports to a new version of AGS, integrates Spanish/German/French translations, etc. And even getting that done took ages. Trying to enhance the game would mean robbing my time from forward looking stuff.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
No. It would be (relatively) easy to upscale the backgrounds, but a fairly big pain to do so with the sprites. Once we did that, I'd want other things improved, too, like the sound effects and some of the voice acting. But it seems lame to improve all the sizzle when the design itself suffers from fairly significant flaws.

In terms of more commentary, I've talked so much about making the game in so many threads, not sure what I could add. (Read aloud those posts, maybe?)

Also, I'm taxed to the absolute limit right now with my day job, family, Strangeland, Fallen Gods, and some other hobby work. The core revisiting of Primordia is going to be a quality of life patch that fixes lots of bugs, ports to a new version of AGS, integrates Spanish/German/French translations, etc. And even getting that done took ages. Trying to enhance the game would mean robbing my time from forward looking stuff.
Makes total sense. I appreciate you and your work man, thank you for making the time to do what you do. Even though this is only your hobby/side gig you seem to have more passion and intelligence on the subject than most full time game designers.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Nah, just more willingness to post on the Codex. :) Maybe I've just been lucky, but no one I've met in game development -- from the executives to the QA folks -- was cynical or dumb. They've been goofy and ridiculous and cunning and quixotic and flaky and naive and profligate and stingy (so have I!), but all of them were passionate and most if not all of them were intelligent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom