Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Primordia - A Point and Click Adventure - Now Available

agris

Arcane
Patron
In a way, the HD remake is laying technical groundwork for the sequel. Check-mate Mark, you've been busted!

Goddman it, recently played through it on 4k 55 tv and HD it was not, guess I have to buy the game again then xD. Will I be able to enjoy it on the TV this time around?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Well that's not strictly true, the timeframe for the sequel to Primordia really depends upon the upcoming success of the HD Director's Cut Remake... ;)
if kathy rain can have one why not primordia
because kathy remaster is a cash grab and stains the otherwise pleasant memories of the original which fate primordia should be spared

Is it that bad? I considered buying it for a minute.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Well that's not strictly true, the timeframe for the sequel to Primordia really depends upon the upcoming success of the HD Director's Cut Remake... ;)
because kathy remaster is a cash grab and stains the otherwise pleasant memories of the original which fate primordia should be spared

It's good

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

It's good
it's not worth a single dollar if you've already played kathy rain
if you have not, buying the original is cheaper and more fun

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer

It's good
it's not worth a single dollar if you've already played kathy rain
if you have not, buying the original is cheaper and more fun

Well - the thing is so many people complained about the low res graphics in Primordia - I like the pixellated look, and I also did that to save time animating. But the fact is the original background sketches had a lot of detail that was lost in conversion, and a lot of stuff was painted hastily and could use a few more touches of the brush.

I think add onto that the fact that well, I like the brown - it kinda is just a smidge *too* brown.Now I haven't played me no Kathy Rain - and that looks amazing (the original) but I have played GK Sins of the Fathers, it's one of my absolute faves if not top P&C delight.
The remake of that made my fucking eyes bleed. No purple highlight hues on portraits. Evil Priestess voice acting lacked ALL flavor. All graphics just shit, watered down almost deviant art level guff*.

THIS, is what I would absolutely avoid with an HD remake. I would just bump the graphics way up, add some more flavor and adjust *some* hues here and there. Really accentuate the things I liked about the graphics. Make it pop a little more and yeah. Higher res. Not rocket science.
What I *won't* do is delete or water anything down. Sprites are something I need to ponder more. Possibly just use my res "template" from Strangeland and Trenchmouth.

The music might be a contentious topic but how it breaks down is basically like this;

1) I love Nathan's soundtrack, and respect his contribution and fans feelings about it

2) I actually fought really hard to do the soundtrack myself during production - almost to the brink of deciding not to publish or going commercial if it meant not using my OST for Primordia+

3) I actually made most of the soundtrack myself alongside Nathan to give him an idea of how I wanted it to sound, of which there is a 100+ amount of tracks composed by yours truly

4) I'm open to compromises here. Really ideally I'd like to do a new soundtrack that used a lot of my original Primordial tracks, and then compose some wholly new tracks with Nathan, hopefully based upon some of *his* original tracks for the game - so we don't lose that now nostalgic feel, which fuckin' surprises me that *I* now get nostalgia from it... Jesus I'm getting too old.

So yeah. I'm constantly thinking about this. It's not in the works, but it's *certainly* on the table.

*the most guilty of this is the Monkey Island remake imo. It looks like it was made by a team from Fiver. Dunno how anyone feels about that here. In my eyes it looks absolutely wretched compared to the original. ABSOLUTELY WRETCHED. :D *shudder*

+bloody glad I didn't spit the dummy in the end lol

Zariusz

Arbiter
Just finished this, nice game with a very good atmosphere and great artstyle. Though i felt like it ended too fast, like if it was just 2/3 of whole game. I expected that you could do something with Sad Robot and that record (like some epilogue set in HORUS). Now i want to check something with simillar visuals and post-apo setting, any suggestions?

lightbane

Arcane
Looks like they have important info hidden in an update!

Primordia: Optioned, Translated, and Ported
9e09e216c9313267d61dffb7443a1551d667d0fd.jpg

Rather unexpectedly, a film adaptation of Primordia that once seemed a pipedream appears to be progressing (with sufficient reality that we were paid a non-trivial option-extension fee). We can’t share much publicly about it, and it’s always safest to assume that these things won’t pan out, but it’s a serious team working on the film project. It just speaks to the strength of the community that you alll have built around Primordia that our little old game continues to attract such attention. Next year will mark a decade since our game was released, and we celebrated our 300,000th copy sold this year.

More down to earth, Primordia received an Italian translation this year, courtesy of volunteer translator Marco de Vivo—adding to the existing official French, Spanish, and German translations and unofficial Russian one. We have had some false starts into other languages this year (and in years past), but we plan to keep trying to bring Primordia to new languages and new audiences as the years go by. Recently, Russian and Turkish translators approached us, so we’ll see where that goes.

We also achieved our long-running goal of releasing native Linux and MacOS ports of Primordia. We made a more significant port this year, too, which we should be able to announce early next year. Needless to say, we’re very excited about it.

Strangeland : Released, Translated, and Ported
c4302717d491a01689e5fd2c3a2b53b3cee71ef4.jpg

In May, we released Strangeland, our long-awaited adventure game follow-up to Primordia. We are grateful for the response so far.
Strangeland is an intensely personal game. Using the psychological horror genre, we poured the tragedy, despair, hope, and redemption that we’ve experienced in our own lives into the vessel of a classic point-and-click adventure game. Originally conceived as part of a three-week jam, Strangeland consumed over four years of our lives into a full-length game, which many thousands of people have now played and enjoyed (and a few people have played and disliked!). The connection between players and the game is the most important thing about this work for us, so the reaction we’ve seen has been wonderful.

For the past year, we have been working very closely with a group of volunteer translators to make Strangeland available to non-English speakers. It is an exceedingly tricky game to translate, given the rich allusions, complicated wordplay and puns, and occasional language-based puzzles. Thanks to the hard work of Endre Linea, we were delighted to release the first translation, into Hungarian, just before the end of the year. We expect to release a German translation next, with Spanish and French close behind. Unfortunately, the Chinese, Japanese, Russian, and Polish translations are stalled—but perhaps we will be able to get them started again too in 2022! These kinds of false starts are not uncommon with fan translations.

Finally, we ported Strangeland to MacOS and Linux... and laid the foundation for some even more significant porting next year, similar to what we have been able to do with Primordia. We’ve always wanted to offer native Mac and Linux builds, and we’re glad to be doing so now!

Fallen Gods : Significant Further Development
e0388215cf0acf3d108ab4247091d149d017f954.jpg

Fallen Gods is now many, many years into development. Its progress is slow, but steady, and has been significant on a number of fronts this year—significant enough that we finally published the game’s Steam page (and we’re grateful for the thousands of wishlist additions that have followed).

Art-wise, we added dozens of new illustrations to the game (every event in the game is accompanied by an illustration), new combat sprites and animations, new character portraits with varying moods, updated mountain and marsh tilesets, and various small visual enhancements across the board. Audio-wise, we added dozens of new voiceovers for events (the first text node in each event is narrated), dozens of new musical sketches, and numerous sound effects.

The most significant advances have been design-wise. Fallen Gods is an open-world, procedurally generated, non-linear, narrative, rogue-lite RPG. While other games (including its forebear, the board game Barbarian Prince) have had many of these features, this is the first game I’ve developed that did not have a predefined structure. One of the greatest challenges has been ensuring that the game still has clear direction, strong pacing, and satisfying progression, along with a high level of challenge. As more of the game came together, we’ve revised a number of systems, including how dungeons are traversed, how information is doled out to the player, and how the economy works. We also introduced some additional victory conditions. I’m relatively confident that the design is now in the “refinement” rather than “reworking” stage, which should help us fill out the rest of the content. We’re hoping to release Fallen Gods in 2022. The major challenge is simply that the older I get, the less time and energy I seem to have, which has slowed the design/writing down.

My hope is that in the next month or so, we will finally be able to share a lengthy gameplay video showing a run through the game. There is still quite a bit of placeholder content, but it will at least be satisfactory proof of life!

Conclusion
As always, we want to end by thanking all of you, who have made our dreams of game development possible. You’re awesome, and we are grateful for your support. We hope that in 2022 we are able to continue sharing our best work with you, continue enhancing our existing games, and continue participating this wonderful community that you’ve helped create. Happy New Year!

Good for the movie, bad about roguelite and procedurally generated. These last two words usually translated to "mediocre" at best.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
*the most guilty of this is the Monkey Island remake imo. It looks like it was made by a team from Fiver. Dunno how anyone feels about that here. In my eyes it looks absolutely wretched compared to the original. ABSOLUTELY WRETCHED. :D *shudder*

The first achievement I got on my playthrough of the Monkey Island 2 Special Edition was "Keeping it Old School: Switch to classic mode at least once." because I did that as soon as I started the game and never looked back.
The original MI games are absolutely beautiful, and the semi-realistic style meshes well with the absurdist humor. The new weird cartoony style doesn't fit at all.

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
A sequel? A prequel? A NFT thing?
Anything works! Except the last one.

Jesus Christ, don't say the word NFT out loud near Horatio! I would literally cut off my own right hand before I'd make an NFT of my work - let alone my most prominent work :D

The other things? Possibly ;)

...Or maybe something else?

4.gif

0wca

Learned
A sequel? A prequel? A NFT thing?
Anything works! Except the last one.

Jesus Christ, don't say the word NFT out loud near Horatio! I would literally cut off my own right hand before I'd make an NFT of my work - let alone my most prominent work :D

The other things? Possibly ;)

...Or maybe something else?

View attachment 22513

An HD version. It's not pixelated anymore. You might even get a few zoomers to play it now.

:takemymoney:

lightbane

Arcane
So, I replayed this around 10 years after playing it on release. Not much difference, it felt somewhat dated already, and it looks not much better, but I guess you can't blame AGS engine for doing that. Compared to older adventure games I played, at least the PC's movement speed is quite high. The devs' commentaries were good, but sadly they're not written as in Strangeland, which is a shame because audio sometimes is not good enough to understand what they're saying. Nevertheless, still a classic.
I wonder if Nier Automata somehow got inspired by this. Unlikely, but it shares some themes.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Glad you still enjoyed it. High movement speed and fast travel are IMO key QOL features. I gave up on Syberia because of how slow Kate Walker was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom