Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time vaporware remake from Ubisoft

Dodo1610

Arcane
That's wired Ubisoft never remakes their games.
The game is just called POP so is it a remake of Jordan Mechner's game?
It's also on Switch so it's definetly no AAA open world game,

Last edited:

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
ZXc0lxO.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak...n_schreier_claims_ubisoft_will_reveal_prince/

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
from what i remember, it went downhill fast after warrior within, so there's not much left to 'ruin'
yeah WW was the pinnacle of the serie . one of the best and funnest games i have ever played. two thrones was kinda a disappointment and Pop 2008 was a completely different thing ( even tough i sort of enjoyed it, even if was very easy)

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
from what i remember, it went downhill fast after warrior within, so there's not much left to 'ruin'

Two Thrones was better than Warrior Within. But yeah after that the series went downhill

PoP 2008 had a very "automated" gameplay and I think the open-world format was a downside

PoP 2012 tried to go back to the Prince's trilogy, and while it's was some a similiar vain those games, it just didn't hit the mark

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of the trilogy, Warrior Within was by far the worst - it should have been called the Edgelord Within. The Sands of Time was the best in the trilogy (and AFAIK the only that was written and directed by Jordan Mechner), the WW writers for some reason thought that the next obvious step after the lighthearted tone of the first one was to give the game a gruffy grimdark makeover with generic metal music and the Two Thrones tried to fix that (so it automatically became better) but still not as good as the first. Though IIRC from when i played all three, WW has the best level design. I haven't played the 2008 reboot nor the 2012 un-reboot though.

If there is a new PoP, it must be written and directed by Jordan Mechner.

Guvide

Educated
20 years later and people are still butthurt about Edgelord Withing. Autism never changes I guess. Yeah, the 1001 Nights tone was gone, but they improved the gameplay a lot. Gameplay > tone. The combat in particular was no longer as repetitive as in Sands. There were more weapons and there were also more combos that you could pull off. There was a larger variety in enemies as well. The level design I'd say was one step forward, one step back. As a whole the levels had a better layout and the puzzles were more creative, however they added some backtracking. Personally I didn't mind it too much, but I can see how this might annoy some people. It did add a sense of place however, and the player had a clear visible goal in front.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
I understand most of you wankers here want the light hearted stuff and doesn't seem to care much about gameplay either.
Well, SOT trilogy is a masterclass in "realistic" platforming games. It gave a lot of control that none of the games after offered, I would say it was the last good realistic platformer, previously held by classic Tomb Raiders.
What I am saying is that PoP SOT trilogy is very fun to play, has a degree of minor mastery and it's plot fits well enough. All three games are must plays.
All of their mechanics are systematic and hard defined. They are very fun to play due to that nature.
Having played those games ad nauseam, each of those games are biased towards certain elements of the platforming, it's well worth to play all three.
And the games have a satisfying ending.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
20 years later and people are still butthurt about Edgelord Withing. Autism never changes I guess. Yeah, the 1001 Nights tone was gone, but they improved the gameplay a lot. Gameplay > tone. The combat in particular was no longer as repetitive as in Sands. There were more weapons and there were also more combos that you could pull off. There was a larger variety in enemies as well. The level design I'd say was one step forward, one step back. As a whole the levels had a better layout and the puzzles were more creative, however they added some backtracking. Personally I didn't mind it too much, but I can see how this might annoy some people. It did add a sense of place however, and the player had a clear visible goal in front.

Sperging edgelord: the post. WW was a game made for autists.

Let me spell this out for you: the WW destroyed the PoP franchise. That's how fucking godawful and edgy it was. Whatever gameplay was there is lost in gothy edgelordiness and bizarre direction.

Everything since than has been a course-correction from WW.

Do you not get the hint. It sucked. Rocks.

The best Prince of persia is the original
517563-prince-of-persia-macintosh-screenshot-facing-the-first-guard.gif

My first PC/Macintosh game and I found it horrible to control.

Sands of Time was a charming enjoyable game for the time that has aged really well. The sequels were more or less of the same, not particularly interesting.

The 2008(?) reboot was uninspired. Probably designed with the same target audience/principles as the Uncharted games.

When AC1 popped out it felt like a rough draft for open world POP, if they added more intricacy/complexity and challenge to both the combat and platforming aspects for the sequels and ditched the modern timeline crap they'd end up with a true evolution. But after that they clearly went in other directions.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
The 2008(?) reboot was uninspired. Probably designed with the same target audience/principles as the Uncharted games.
It was a little too automated and hence condescending. If I remember, the idea was to make a game for people who don't play games. So they simplified all actions to 4 buttons that change automatically on the context.
Pretty good design idea, but their ignorance of the actual gaming crowd was their downfall as the input demand the game required from us was negligible to the point of boredom.
Still a fun game with charming graphics, art and story. I still care enough that I want that story to get completed.

Guvide

Educated

Sperging edgelord: the post. WW was a game made for autists.

Let me spell this out for you: the WW destroyed the PoP franchise. That's how fucking godawful and edgy it was. Whatever gameplay was there is lost in gothy edgelordiness and bizarre direction.

Everything since than has been a course-correction from WW.

Do you not get the hint. It sucked. Rocks.
You seem upset.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
SoT is a good candidate for a remake. The platforming is good, the fighting is bad (the mechanics are ok-ish, but destroyed by the super long arena fights) and the story/setting could use some fleshing out.

The other games in the trilogy could use remakes too. WW needs its edgyness toned way down and contradict the story of the sot less (a better map/slightly less backtracking wouldn't hurt either). TT is barely fucking playable and its only redeemable quality is the ending cinematic.

I am a bit doubtful of modern ubis ability to pull it off though. They *probably* won't turn it into an open world sandbox but it seems like it's been several years since they published a storydriven game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom