Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prison Architect - formerly from Introversion, acquired by Paradox

Destroid

Arcane
Last edited by a moderator:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Bitch where's my Uplink 2 at.

Does it even have tasteful prison shower gang rape?

Destroid

Arcane
Watching a few of the gameplay videos on youtube, looks like the gameplay is heavily derived from dwarf fortress.

xilo3z

Educated
$30?

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng.

Yeah the developers explained it, and its actually ok. The reasoning for the $30 is that its literally just for the beta and full game. The real game at release will not cost $30. The reason they are making the preorders cost so much is they want to ensure the quality of the beta test. The more money people invest to be part of the beta the more likely they will do everything in their power to truly beta test the game and get the quality up to par. On the other hand imagine if it were say a $5 beta test. The majority would be throw away testers who would just quit playing when ever anything went wrong because they really dont have any attachment to the game.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeah, business wise it is probably a very brilliant move. Or well, following the standard models

crossing_chasm2.jpeg

objectives_3.gif

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
$30?

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng.

Yeah the developers explained it, and its actually ok. The reasoning for the $30 is that its literally just for the beta and full game. The real game at release will not cost $30. The reason they are making the preorders cost so much is they want to ensure the quality of the beta test. The more money people invest to be part of the beta the more likely they will do everything in their power to truly beta test the game and get the quality up to par. On the other hand imagine if it were say a $5 beta test. The majority would be throw away testers who would just quit playing when ever anything went wrong because they really dont have any attachment to the game.

I would imagine they also did their reasearch and realized they aren't losing much money going this route anyways. Most money raised through kickstarter drives comes from a few large donations, not the swarm of 5$ guys. The main advantage of the smaller donators is their word of mouth advertising, not their actual donations.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Played the alpha for a bit. Had fun, then it crashed. It's kinda slow and obviously a work in progress but amazingly enough it is already a game that I kept wanting to play. If they polish this up a bit I can see it becoming a neat builder. Going to steer clear of it untill then as I don't want to burn myself out on half-assed versions.

Prisoners are nasty little bitches btw. I loved how the game gave little clues to those really paying attention to what asshole to search and detain.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yeah.. I might splurge $30 on this on release, but I don't wanna burn out on a bunch of alphas. I also really wanna see prisoners being named after codexians, a warden named DarkUnderlord and a 30+ page let's play.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Whoah, Introversion still makes games?!

I'm a big fan of Introversion, but a lot went wrong with that studio. What did they do with all the years of work they spent on the awesome-in-concept bank heist game? Really, big props to them for still going on after all what happened, I thought they had real jobs forever by now...!

In any case, when they really put a lot of content into this, It's probably going to be awesome. Amazing that it's the work of one man..

"Press H to aim the hose" - isn't this another example of Introversion getting lost in the details? Like with that bank heist game, where after 5 years of development they had a complete random city generator, but no idea what the actual gameplay would be like. It really takes a Tarn Adams to build these ridiculously feature-full games and not bog down in the details. By the way, Dwarf Fortress really seems to be very influential in non-mainstream gaming... :salute:

@Tzero -- ah, nevermind, thanks for posting that link, very interesting. Introversion really make me think of early iD software, with the great ideas, design and programming..

asper

Arcane
Yeah, but the point is, DF has been released and is eminently playable. Subversion hasn't and isn't.

By the way, thanks for making me look again at the DF dev blog. Holy shit..

I rescued my first batch of prisoners from a goblin prison under their tower yesterday, after sneaking past watch towers through some trenches, and then passing through a living area underground. The captives were mostly children of the dwarven duchess from the next fortress over. We still need to handle reunions, but that'll definitely be going in when we get to fortress maps (which are going in before the release). It'll be cool to finally get some dwarves back home after all these years.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I anticipate the DF dude to come up with a UI for mortals in about twenty years. Untill then I'll enjoy the LP's.

And hey, Introversion actually has a working and playable alpha out now. That is fun. Shocking. But hey, before we start comparing aspie levels the introversion game as it is now is really more of a theme prison game than a df. As I said, I got good hopes that it will actually become neat. Then again, I digged those theme games.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game interest me, but I am not sure if I should buy it. There is no demo to try out, so I will ask you: Is it playable at the current stage? Does it have a lot of bugs in the current alpha? How is the game itself, good as it looks or disappointing? I also heard that the price might drop when it is in beta/final, is it true? Is PA worth getting at the moment or should I forget it or at least wait until it's far more into development?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It's playable. Only real bugs include it going slow for large prisons and workers getting stuck on corners from time to time.

Only issue is once you've built a prison with everything you need there's nothing else to do other than build another one.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PA is pretty awesome, if a bit buggy, at the moment. The devs are working constantly on it, and the updates are frequent.

If you are cheap, you may want till they have the final version out, as it will most likely be less expensive than the alpha access they sell now.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
-66% on Steam now, meaning it's quite cheap now. Developers might be slowly burning out and trying to cash in whatever they can. That's at least my personal prediction. Anyway, is it a good game by now? Or should I just stick to Dwarf Fortress?

Emily

Arcane
There is nothing that can hold a candle to DF so it is kinda a moot point

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wake me when it hits beta. They've been taking forever and, personally, I'm done buying Early Access games that have no chance of being in release state within a year.

asper

Arcane
-66% on Steam now, meaning it's quite cheap now. Developers might be slowly burning out and trying to cash in whatever they can. That's at least my personal prediction. Anyway, is it a good game by now? Or should I just stick to Dwarf Fortress?

There used to be a counter on the main PA page that showed how much money they had made with sales. It was about 10 million pounds. Now they've removed it for some reason, but I don't think they are struggling for cash. I mean it's just one programmer, one community manager working fulltime on the game, with some hired contractors for art etc.

edit, found an article about their sales figures from a while back
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-11-06-alpha-of-prison-architect-raises-almost-USD8m-sales

Anyway, the game is very different from Dwarf Fortress. It has a great UI. There are never too much of Theme- or DK clones, so just play them both.

Disgruntled

Savant
I got it in the sale. Its pretty good so far and adequately challenging for a new player. I like how the AI performs, and every person goes about their business as you would expect them to. Everything from zoning to building progression is well thought out.

The eternal alpha does disturb me somewhat, obviously profit oriented. But to their credit you can tell that the content additions are done with the care and balance afforded by such a relaxed schedule.

Too early for me to see the gameplay flaws but i got my money's worth already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom