Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Prodeus - retro FPS by ex-Raven devs

Dayyālu

Arcane
Brutal Doom is still relevant as fuck, it seems.

Srs, there's very little of old school Doom in those videos, but that's not a terrible sign in any case. I'd love a less messy UI and a higher enemy density. Let's see how it works, can't be worse than Project Warlock.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I shit on Dusk's visuals until i learned the game was made by one guy (i thought they made them shit on purpose for the hipster factor, turns out that's the best the guy could do lel).

Gameplay wise Dusk seems to shit on most of those "retro" shooters, at least the ones i tried.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I shit on Dust's visuals until i learned the game was made by one guy (i thought they made them shit on purpose for the hipster factor, turns out that's the best the guy could do lel).

Being made by one guys makes it an impressive achievement, but it doesn't make it look better to me. It's about design anyway, not the tech.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I shit on Dust's visuals until i learned the game was made by one guy (i thought they made them shit on purpose for the hipster factor, turns out that's the best the guy could do lel).

Being made by one guys makes it an impressive achievement, but it doesn't make it look better to me. It's about design anyway, not the tech.

Well, like i said, the gameplay is good, and so was level design for the most part (some levels were shit, but hey). Guy is shit at art, should have probably got somebody else to help him, but hey, at least it wasn't shit on purpose.

Falksi

Arcane
Sounds like a pissed up version of Parodius

parodius-3.jpg

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
lmao there's nothing retro about the graphics.

They just did modern graphics but rendered it to a texture 1/16th the screen size upscaled using nearest neighbor filtering.

I guess this affords them some shortcuts with regards to texturing and modelling vis a vis a modern game.

Anyway bring back dark forces 2!

Max Heap

Arcane
Everytime I see these new retro FPS games I wonder....

Why not just play Quake?

There is like a billion great map packs out there. The quake community has grown and matured over 25 years now.
I mean Dusk & Family are nice and everything, but playing these games kinda feels like talking to the monkey instead of the organ grinder. At least as long as they try to emulate the exact same gameplay. If you subtract Quake from Dusk you aren't really left with much except for dodgy air controls.

It's fine and fun and everyting, but still...

As for this: Kinda feels like a commercialized (and tamed) version of Brutal Doom. Down to the reloading speed.
Again, that can be fun, but, you know...

I mean I can still enjoy it, but it won't be long until my appetite for Quake clones will be satiated.
Just sayin.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Everytime I see these new retro FPS games I wonder....

Why not just play Quake?

Quake is my favorite game of all time (yes, this is RPG Codex, i just happen to also like RPGs and if there was an FPS Codex i'd be there too :-P), sometimes i play a quick SP round until first death in the morning while drinking coffee to wake up, but at some point i just want to play something different yet similar - i want to shoot other monsters, with different weapons that produce different sounds in maps with different themes while listening to different music. I do not want it *too* different though, i love the overall action+exploration driven gameplay that many 90s FPSs had and Quake's more gritty visual design (which wasn't too uncommon around the late 90s anyway).

Q1SP map packs are good (though there is a tendency towards huge maps which i'm not a fan of, i prefer smaller maps similar to those in the original campaign and i'd rather have 10 smaller maps than 4 huge ones) and Quake's more abstract visual design allows for a larger variety of map themes than what you'd find in other contemporary games - but the vast vast majority of Quake SP mods are just maps. There are very few total or even partial conversions for Quake (and i think i've played all of them... or at least most of those i could find online).

So to me at least those games aren't a replacement for Quake but something that feels like what i already know i like yet it isn't more of the same thing (though that might be because i've played Quake for so long that even a small difference feels big and others may not even notice it and think these games are the same - i mean, there are even people out there who consider Painkiller a spiritual successor to Quake!).

Having said that, so far i'm not feeling that with Prodeus, it looks too shiny and i'm not sold on the normal mapped sprites (FWIW while i also consider Doom one of my favorite games i was never *too* much into the sprite-based FPS games - i pretty much prefer low poly models :-P).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Was that the game that felt like Doom 2016 with DOS graphics?

Seems better than i remember. Graphics were always nice, just the gameplay felt kinda shit, but it seems better in that video.

Yeah let's add fancy lighting and shader effects but make everything pixelated because muh retro. And HUD looks awful too, it's like one of those retarded Doom visor mods that nearly every Doomtuber seems to be using. I guess I'll still give it a go and see if it feels any fun to play because this still looks preferable to AAA cinematic shooters.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm guessing the "ex-Raven" devs are not the old school devs.

Why can't we have nice things? It's always something.

geno

Savant
I ignored this game until I discovered the guy who made the Eviternity megawad is in the devteam. Now i wish the setting and the weapons and enemies weren't so uninspired.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom