Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Prodeus - retro FPS by ex-Raven devs

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I guess they wanted to avoid the same day with the release of Xbox thing.

Curratum

The nerve of those guys! :D

25 EUR for content-incomplete pixel nostalgia shooter, on Unity, and not playing particularly well compared to every other game in the same niche, priced 17-21 EUR... Well, um, best of luck...

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
The nerve of those guys! :D

25 EUR for content-incomplete pixel nostalgia shooter, on Unity, and not playing particularly well compared to every other game in the same niche, priced 17-21 EUR... Well, um, best of luck...

Worth the price.

Graphics and art style are great, music is perfect, and the gunplay is good. Gib system sadly not as good as Brutal Doom, but hopefully this can be configured later on.

Antigoon

Augur
Didn't stop the Hellbound guys from selling it for cheaper. And surprisingly there was no backlash whatsoever.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
How long is the game in its EA state? Is it still just 2 or 3 levels, or did they add a few more?

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
How long is the game in its EA state? Is it still just 2 or 3 levels, or did they add a few more?

Way more from the looks of it.

Anyway, so far I've gone through 3 levels and I have to say it's kinda meh. The beta level felt cooler.

Two things that bother me a lot are that it's:

a) Too easy, and I play on "very hard". Also, some of the enemies are a total joke - the reaction times on the shotgun guys border on braindead.
b) Too formulaic, in the sense that the gameplay keeps following the same loop all the time. You enter a room, there's melee zombus, you waste them with the shotgun, oh there are imps on ledges, you waste them with the charged shotgun one shot after another, oh here come some fast demons, you waste them with the shotgun or smgs, oh a big brawl, switch to the minigun, repeat repeat repeat. The "imps on ledges" are probably the biggest stinker here because the optimal way of engaging them is more or less popamole - hide behind a corner, charge shotgun, shoop, hide again and repeat until all are dead.

d1r

Patron

Levels later on become way harder, though the enemy count sadly stays the same. Map amount is probably higher than 18 according to my %-progression.

b) Too formulaic, in the sense that the gameplay keeps following the same loop all the time. You enter a room, there's melee zombus, you waste them with the shotgun, oh there are imps on ledges, you waste them with the charged shotgun one shot after another, oh here come some fast demons, you waste them with the shotgun or smgs, oh a big brawl, switch to the minigun, repeat repeat repeat. The "imps on ledges" are probably the biggest stinker here because the optimal way of engaging them is more or less popamole - hide behind a corner, charge shotgun, shoop, hide again and repeat until all are dead.

Welcome to Doom, I guess? Not sure how this is in any form or shape different than the older Doom games. Prodeus might have more trap rooms than Doom, but there are also maps that allow you to leave the combat area, and enter a new one.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Welcome to Doom, I guess? Not sure how this is in any form or shape different than the older Doom games.

Doom is much faster paced. It doesn't have packs of trash melee zombus whose only purpose is to make you slow down for a moment, and who are much too bulky than they ought to be. Doom's gun zombies react MUCH FASTER and begin shooping you shortly after you enter a room - I dare you to find a single shotgun guy in Prodeus and just stand in front of him to let him shoop you twice, it takes FOREVER. Doom also has more long-range options among basic weapons than does Prodeus, and things generally tend to die faster in Doom - in Prodeus your only 'long range' options are the pistol (bad damage) and the charged shotgun shots (which slow you down a lot), because the SMGs and the minigun have trash accuracy.

Doom also doesn't repeat the same tricks with the same enemies all the time until it gets stupid, unless we're talking about Doom 2's point blank chaingunner monster closets. This is also a question of much superior level design in Doom.

freygeist87

Educated
Zionist Agent
5 Levels in and this game is fucking great. It feels like what DOOM eternal should have been, i mean it was good, but Prodeus is shaping up to be the real deal. If they keep the already high quality in the full release, im confident this will be DOOM successor we always wanted.

d1r

Patron
Welcome to Doom, I guess? Not sure how this is in any form or shape different than the older Doom games.

Doom is much faster paced. It doesn't have packs of trash melee zombus whose only purpose is to make you slow down for a moment, and who are much too bulky than they ought to be. Doom's gun zombies react MUCH FASTER and begin shooping you shortly after you enter a room - I dare you to find a single shotgun guy in Prodeus and just stand in front of him to let him shoop you twice, it takes FOREVER. Doom also has more long-range options among basic weapons than does Prodeus, and things generally tend to die faster in Doom - in Prodeus your only 'long range' options are the pistol (bad damage) and the charged shotgun shots (which slow you down a lot), because the SMGs and the minigun have trash accuracy.

The SMG's are absolutely fine for picking up the imps though, as long as you're firing them one-handed of course. And the game gives you a lot of laser ammo as well, might as well try to mix up your gameplay a little bit, instead of relying on the old shotgun. It certainly helps, since the laser gun comes with AoE damage.

Shitposter
I briefly played the inventory version and it's a very competent shooter. Something in the vain of Doom 2016, but with better level design and glorious pixel gore. Not precicely a masterpiece like DUSK either, but a pretty solid shooter.

crazy how these pixel graphics look WAY better than modern epic ray tracing bs
I saw this game suggested on steam and immediately got BIG BONER that modern AAA games just can't compete :) :) :)

AND there's custom maps!??! fuck yeah!
one thing I'd like to see is co-op support especially if they're gonna allow custom maps it'd be fun to see a sven co-op type thing with this

Lemming42

Arcane
This is alright, better than nuDoom so far. I don't like the art style though, the 3D/sprite clash is really unappealing, and the game just feels like it's not bringing anything new to the table at all. It's a solid game in every way but it's hard to get really excited about.

UserNamer

Cipher
Game has no challenge because when you die you resurrect at the latest checkpoint but enemies don't... So it's either restart the whole level or basically resurrect on the spot.... What the hell???

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
This bothers me quite a bit as well, at least as an idea, because so far I only died once when I jumped down a ledge to see if there were secrets there.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
How do I get to the gun behind the forcefield in the smg trial? :x

Also, I strongly recommend against checking the steam forum for this game. "Too many keybindings for weapons", "how about melee executions", fucking hell.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm actually quite enjoying the game. The campaign levels are serviceable, but more on the positive than negative side. The real star here imo is how playing the game just feels right. The movement feels fast, but like it has a perfect amount of weight to it as well. The guns are cool and the sound effects are extremely satisfying with good crunch and squish. If this game gets big enough to have a healthy map making community then the problems that people might have with the main campaign could be fixed by dedicated fans.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The SMG's are absolutely fine for picking up the imps though, as long as you're firing them one-handed of course.

I was sure I tried that before and the long-range accuracy was garbage, turns out it isn't. Huh :neveraskedforthis:

Also, having now finished the crater and fortress levels, I'm deffo warming up to this game. These were both roight propa, and finally made me go <20 hp for a change. Not to mention the munster variety starts getting used right instead of just spamming you with imps on ledges. I particularly like how the game forces you to juggle all your guns all the time, including the pistol - though funny enough, I find I almost never use the minigun. Its damage is kind of shit and the spin-up leaves you much too vulnerable for too long more often than not.

Also2, unlike it seems everyone else, I actually like those weirdo pixelated graphics. Don't ask me why, but they bring some kind of charm or character to the game. That said, I'm playing with unpixelated munsters, because they deffo look better that way.

Lemming42

Arcane
Playing this a bit more and I'm warming up to it. It's still doing absolutely nothing remotely original, mechanically or stylistically, but it's got the core gameplay down to a fine art. The shooting is just straight-up fun, the game doesn't shy away from giving you a shitton of ammo, and on Hard difficulty the challenge is just right. Only complaint is the checkpoints system, which is total shit.

freygeist87

Educated
Zionist Agent
I agree with some of the criticism, especially the checkpoint system and reloading. But i guess thats why its in early access to see how some features are felt in the community. Why i think this game is great is because of the atmosphere and the tone. I just love it and thats exactly what i missed with doom eternal. Maybe im a bit naive, but i honestly have fiath in the devs doing the right job this time

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom