Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Prodeus - retro FPS by ex-Raven devs

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I never heard of this. Is it too much Brutal Doom?

Yep this is Brutal Doom inspired. I guess that is all Doom is these days...worth a look I guess.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Is it too much Brutal Doom?

I haven't played Brutal Doom but from what I can tell BD is supposed to be very focused on melee glory kills, and this is not the case here.

What I played of Prodeus so far is really fookin gud, and the fact that the actual release is soon pleases me muchly.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Looking forward to this, early access was already really good. Was a bit disappointed by the levels in the blue dimension, but based on that not showing up in the trailer I hope there's not too much more of those.

Fargus

Arcane
Good thing i got Prodeus gifted to me before HB blocked the game in my country. I played it a bit during early access and it was fun, i look forward to play the full version.

Is it too much Brutal Doom?

I haven't played Brutal Doom but from what I can tell BD is supposed to be very focused on melee glory kills, and this is not the case here.

What I played of Prodeus so far is really fookin gud, and the fact that the actual release is soon pleases me muchly.

BD isnt much focused on melee glory kills. BD just has numerous animated melee finishers for amusement i guess, but its more convenient to just blast demons the old fashioned way.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
I get the idea, but for how long they will make those quake/brutal doom inspired indie fps games with metal soundtrack?

It might be that I'm not in gaming mood for years now.

Also, when to think about it - look at CoD/Battlefield - same shit all over and it sells

Fargus

Arcane
I hope for as long as possible because these games if done well are fast paced, gratuitously brutal and fun to play unlike CoD jerk-offs. Although i only played modern warfare 1-2 and black ops. But they felt like games that were generated by some broken AI with personality of a caricature americunt cigar-smoking warhawk. It was cringe back then, had shitty gameplay (qte, regeneration, turret sections and so on) and i dont even know whats the state of CoD games these days. Probably just as cringe.

And most only played cod shit for pvp anyway.

Metal soundtrack is just cherry on top for retro fps, but i'm a fan of metal. So i'm biased.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
They should start all those retro, -inspired, old school, boomer, coomer, whatever projects from remembering that good old games looked nice and usually weren't a fucking eyesore.

Fargus

Arcane
They should start all those retro, -inspired, old school, boomer, coomer, whatever projects from remembering that good old games looked nice and usually weren't a fucking eyesore.
I'm not an expert and dont care much about the graphics, but that just smells like shitty art direction. Retro visuals can look cool and charming like in Wrath or Graven (in my opinion). Or it can be hideous of course like in some other boomer shooters.

soulburner

Cipher
I can't look at this game. Everything is just too flashy and covering the screen all the time. Huge weapon models, sprites & particles everywhere and all the time, tons of blood - all obscuring the view.

ferratilis

Magister
Just tried this on game pass and didn't like it tbh. Just like with Brutal Doom, I feel it turns an amazing game built around managing your resources, exploration and interesting enemy encounters into a mindless, bland shooter that doesn't capture what its predecessors were all about. And like the poster above me said, the visual design is too busy. Doom had sparse animations and sounds which were probably a result of technical limitations, but they served a purpose to telegraph everything perfectly. Most of these modern "retro" shooters go overboard with sounds and visual effects. Back to Doom, I guess.

Glory kills in Brutal Doom are just a goofy addition that I would assume majority of players will completely ignore. There is zero need to do them. Yet to play this game but if I were to judge it based on my impressions from videos it just looks like a shittier version of Brutal Doom. Not that I will claim that with certainly before even trying it.

So far Dusk is the only of these retro revival shooters that I thought was genuinely cool.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i played the first five levels of Prodeus and wasn't really feeling it that much. levels kinda overstay their welcome, IMO.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I can't look at this game. Everything is just too flashy and covering the screen all the time. Huge weapon models, sprites & particles everywhere and all the time, tons of blood - all obscuring the view.
I do agree that it is gratuitous sometimes, but it generally works better in practice than it looks from videos/screenshots. I was very very sceptical before I played it, but wound up loving it.

I also think the level design is generally ACE, with each level being a good length to not overstay its welcome, but also feature some interesting twist or theme that makes it memorable.

Prodeus missed its full release launch date? SAY IT AIN'T SO! :lol:
You can't just post something like that without a source man.

Curratum

My bad, I was completely convinced it was today, and the trailer reads Sep 23, so tomorrow.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Why does the game think I don't have any save files? (GoG version)

It remembers my downloaded maps :/

Edit: The files are still on disk, and moving them from local to cloud saves did nothing. I guess old saves are just not compatible? Bit douchy of the game to not have a popup to inform of this then.

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
prodeus is a very fun game, and very pure. i can also see some strands of elite force 1/2's DNA in prodeus' design (this game was made by former raven software devs) - namely the alternate weapon fire modes. having this merged with doom's gameplay design makes it a blast to play

Curratum

My only complaint is that the blood is too much at times, but I think someone said the dev at some point said this is by design, so you need to move and circle-strafe to get better angles at the target or something.

destinae vomitus

Educated
(this game was made by former raven software devs)

It sure was, the two of them being irrelevant codemonkeys who worked on oh-so prestigious titles like Singularity and Call of Duty Black Ops. :lol:

R0kkrPw.jpeg

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
And so was Zombie Panice: Source

Anyway, you guys better get the game. It's great. And the map design is superb.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
And the map design is superb.
Yeah... about that.
I think they fucked it up with the full release. The maps *were* superbly designed. But it turns out that adding double jump and an airdash breaks most of the old maps. And basically all the secrets they added that use these mechanics are of the form "get up on a roof that was impossible before"(fine if done sparingly, riduclous when it's 3 in the same map) or feel like they belong to mario (bonus points when failing to make the jump means you have to spend 30s running back up, or even better have to restart the map).

And for what? The ability to pick if you want the super shotty or the plasma gun first, and adding the most overused movement mechanics to a game that already had good movement.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I feel like these guys only made it a "retro" shooter because what they were actually doing wouldn't have sold as well. Its a very '00s kind of shooter, at least the kind that still had medikits. I think it would have worked better if they didn't add the elements the game has that feels like an over the top attempt at being "retro", like the weird pixel thing the sprites have going on by default. Outside of that, I feel a little Jedi Knight influence in this game, from the way the shotgun works to the way the secrets are designed. Seems easy, possibly too easy, since you apparently don't lose anything by dying. Even so I only died once...by doing what I thought was jumping to a secret ledge. I also had full ammo most of the time.
It seems good at first impression. Fun, but nothing too terrible or exciting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom