Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project 007 - James Bond game from IO Interactive

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
If this is going to be an origin story it might go all the way back to WWII even (since Bond apparently worked for SOE). Cassino Royal (the first Bond novel) takes place in 1951 and Bond is a "new 00 agent" at that point, so WWII or very early Cold War setting would make sense (in fact WWII Bond would be cool as fuck, but I doubt the suits would approve something so original). Given its IOI making this I fully expect to get a Hitman reskin, but thats alright.

Caim

Arcane
If this is going to be an origin story it might go all the way back to WWII even (since Bond apparently worked for SOE). Cassino Royal (the first Bond novel) takes place in 1951 and Bond is a "new 00 agent" at that point, so WWII or very early Cold War setting would make sense (in fact WWII Bond would be cool as fuck, but I doubt the suits would approve something so original). Given its IOI making this I fully expect to get a Hitman reskin, but thats alright.
Plot twist: the origin story is about how Ian Fleming and his squad went about shanking Nazis, which ended up inspiring James Bond in the first place.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Am I the only person who thinks IOI have gotten lazy lately? Or maybe their tools are super shitty?
Hitman 2 was basically 6 new levels and some engine tinkering and maybe 2-3 extra actions you could take.
Now they have this PSVR gimmick (probably because sony gave them a bunch of money for that) but nothing much else seems to be new.
Seems it's gotten too 'hygge' over there in CPH/Malmö. They need their Japanese overlords back ASAP.

From the outset it was meant to be three "seasons" of the same game, with new locations as episodes. If you're bored of the formula before the end then fine, but seasons 2 and 3 were never meant to be entirely new games. This isn't some new modern decline either, look at Doom and all the episodes and shit that followed for years.

deuxhero

Arcane

No stripper clip guide on the rifle (disqualifies virtually every WW2 rifle, and the only exceptions I can think of are DQed from something else), and OTM ammo (which the bullet clearly is) was first introduced so late their first notable use was 1959.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Has Bond ever really been about disguises? I've only seen the Craig and Brosnan movies and I can't really remember a single time a disguise was a big part of it, though it's been years since I last watched.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Has Bond ever really been about disguises? I've only seen the Craig and Brosnan movies and I can't really remember a single time a disguise was a big part of it, though it's been years since I last watched.
He does aliases and false ID sometimes, but rarely anything that disguises his appearance.

Dodo1610

Arcane

Uhm yes: You Only live twice as a Japanese fisherman
8b42839899ec4196-600x338.jpg

and as a clown in From Russia with love Octopussy
190a92c4cad33b86011df92ee4bb6f1b.jpg

And as Scottish nobleman in Her Majesty's services
Lazenby-Highland-Dress.jpg

DR. No stole a rad suit. Probably the most Hitman disguise since he uses it to blend in with DR No minions to destroy the reactor.
dr-no-radiation-suit-2-1024x576.jpg

In most movies, Bond pretends to be a businessman with a fake identity, so his disguises are usually less elaborate.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't think Bond switching outfits would work, but he could absolutely start the mission with various outfits/disguises. Hitman has you unlock various starting locations, starting outfits and starting loadouts and all of that would work well with Bond.

We're assuming they're going to take the Hitman formula and adapt it to Bond though, watch them make a fucking linear FPS or something.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think Bond switching outfits would work, but he could absolutely start the mission with various outfits/disguises. Hitman has you unlock various starting locations, starting outfits and starting loadouts and all of that would work well with Bond.

We're assuming they're going to take the Hitman formula and adapt it to Bond though, watch them make a fucking linear FPS or something.

It's a shame devs have such limited imaginations when it comes to the Bond formula. You could really make almost any game from the setting.

You could even make a good Deus Ex style immersive sim with the Bond license.

Wunderbar

Arcane
It's a shame devs have such limited imaginations when it comes to the Bond formula. You could really make almost any game from the setting.
requires too much time, money and effort.
Most of the previous Bond games were made to be released at the same time as a new film, so devs had no time to come up with something fresh. For example, Treyarch's Quantum of Solace was made in like a year and half, so it's basically a CoD clone made from scraps.

deuxhero

Arcane
Considering all we know about it are that, the website it links to where it's 90+% of the content, and some speculation from job listings, I didn't think I needed to specify.

Repressed Homosexual
James Bond started going to shit when it started focusing too much on irrelevant gadget shit. It became all about impressing the audience with cool gadgets which are not even important.

James Bond is about the man overcoming the machine all by himself, through his sheer charm, ingenuity, determination and courage. No wonder all women would fall for a man like that.

Can you even think seeing this reflected in the last 25 years of Bond movies? No, they're all about gadgets and product placement.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
James Bond started going to shit when it started focusing too much on irrelevant gadget shit. It became all about impressing the audience with cool gadgets which are not even important.

James Bond is about the man overcoming the machine all by himself, through his sheer charm, ingenuity, determination and courage. No wonder all women would fall for a man like that.

Can you even think seeing this reflected in the last 25 years of Bond movies? No, they're all about gadgets and product placement.
The Craig movies have actually been extremely light on gadgets. Also Sean Connery had a jetpack in 1965.

Repressed Homosexual

The Craig movies have actually been extremely light on gadgets. Also Sean Connery had a jetpack in 1965.

I don't mind gadgets being present at all since they fit the MI6 secret agent setting well.

A big problem with Craig is that he has the charisma of a toothpick. Nobody roots for a bland prick like that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Gadgets have been part of the series from the start. They did go overboard a couple times, especially in the campy Moore era, but the idea that "true Bond" doesn't have gadgets is kinda silly since Connery did.

How exactly would that work? A good chunk of Hitman revolves around wearing disguises, and hiding in plain sight. Granted, there's always been a level of comedy with how Agent 47 looks and sticks out more than other people, even with a disguise. I don't think they would adop that approach with James Bond, however.

Bond does disguises.

c9992c71fbebf6b3e1e86729c6673c12.jpg

Hitman has always been IO doing Bond anyways, you've even got Bond references in that first game. I wouldn't think they'd change much of what Hitman does. I mean maybe they'll let you go guns blazing, maybe there'll be some melee combat system, maybe some places where action is unavoidable, and surely there'll been cool gadgets; but I wouldn't think it would be too dissimilar from a normal Hitman game either. Maybe stages will be larger so they can work vehicles in or something, since that's a fairly large part of the Bond series; but mostly I'd just kind of expect a Hitman game but with the kinds of locations, tools, and characters you expect from the Bond series.

Repressed Homosexual
Gadgets have been part of the series from the start. They did go overboard a couple times, especially in the campy Moore era, but the idea that "true Bond" doesn't have gadgets is kinda silly since Connery did.

Gadgets have always had their place, but it went really overboard and crazy at times. Remember the invisible car in the World is not Enough?

Perhaps it's not really about gadgets then. Perhaps it's this obssession with portraying a super sleek, stylish image on every frame that gradually made every movie soulless, boring and pointless.

It should be about the dangers, the adventure, and Bond's colorful personality.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The Bond movies are definitely up and down on how well they use the signifying aspects of the series, but I think without any of that you're not making a Bond game anymore, so it's a fine line. Since it's an "origin story" though, I doubt we'll see him flying jetpacks wearing a tuxedo. I guess you never know though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Danish interview: https://www.pcgamer.com/ios-studio-director-says-its-bond-game-could-be-a-trilogy/

IO's studio director says its Bond game could be a trilogy
The developer has plans to more than double in size during the project's development.

Little is known about IO Interactive's recently announced James Bond game (beyond the fact the studio will be a great fit, and it's years away), but in a new interview with Danish website DR studio director Hakan Abrak has dropped some crumbs. First of all by teasing that the game 'could' be a trilogy, which is no great surprise.

"We have been allowed to make our own digital Bond, which will not lean on a Bond actor," says Abrak. "We've also come up with a completely original story, and you could easily imagine that a trilogy could come out of it."

Abrak talks about the convoluted process of acquiring the rights to such a mega-franchise, which in this case involved convincing Barbara Broccoli and EON Productions of the studio's suitability for the task. Apparently Ms. Broccoli believed previous games weren't "worthy enough" and had too much "violence for the sake of violence."

"Our background with the Hitman universe and our vision of what Bond is in a game format went straight to the heart of Barbara Broccoli," says Abrak. This is kind of interesting, inasmuch as it's slotting this 007 game pretty neatly into the Hitman archetype: a game that definitely features violence, as do the Bond movies, but not continuously.

The scale of this project will be the biggest in IO's history, judging by the plans the studio has to double in size over the development. "Today we are 200 employees and I expect that we will be over 400 employees over the next few years," says Abrak. "So there is no doubt that the Bond agreement means an insane amount to us."

"It's very, very special—a boy's dream," says Abrak. "Sometimes it's still a little hard to understand that it's us making James Bond."

You can read DR's full interview here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom