Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project Eternity Fundraiser POLL

Would you donate to a Codex fundraiser?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
"FUCK THIS SHIT NO"
While I have sympathy for Obsidian, they haven't released a game to this day for which I'm the target audience.
I want this game to be good. But I have wanted many things since playing Curse of the Azure Bonds.

EG

Nullified
For a man who claims to be pushing the butthurt, you sure are trying awfully hard to promote this villain of the story. Is there something you'd like to confess?

Just doing my best to spread the misery and the butthurt. Obsidian burns $500K per month on rents, wages and bills and PE is struggling to get to $2M. Yeah, this will turn out good.

Rather than cry us a river, why not exist in a state of quiet despair?

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This is the list of people who donated to the Wasteland 2 fundraiser:

• Those who voted NO for PE fundraiser are marked in red.
  • Those who voted to donate something to PE fundraiser are marked in yellow green.
  • The rest (in white) likely haven't even seen PE worth to vote either way (at least yet) -and that's a lot of people

( Âą: Those who have donated at least $250 for Wasteland 2. )

Code:
Gestapo document

Just to add salt to the bleeding butthurt.

R00FLES!

ps: The Brazilian Slaughter is in neither list.

You forgot to add a "@" in front of every name, VOTS. Example: The Brazilian Slaughter

MCA
You can not summon more than 10 people in one post. If only summoning The Brazilian Slaughter counted as a negative 100.

Also, 4too's reply to the PM:

Half Full / Half Empty ?

villain of the story. Thanks for the push. :salute:

Search my emotional pockets for passion and only find an interesting shade of lint.

Project Eternity?

First response ...

Sad.

Sad, when heard the same old 'epic' music of this KS kick off, had to transcend a decade of inertial stasis to endure the pitch.
ANY excitement from the count down tease, wilted.
OMG, … another fantasy extrusion.
This engine, this venue of RPG, me? … emotionally detached since BG2.

BG and all the rest?
Caring?
I only care because You, and You, and ESPecially You care.

My real entertainment is how you all kick this hacky sack around.

Can this effort pull away from the established mediocrity?

More of the same means failure.

Only a breakthrough in design of gameplay will succeed in revitalizing this genre.

I buy very few games in these last days.

With latent pleasure capital I am betting against the odds.

The absence of middle men publishers may divert the trend.

This crew might cease gaming of the market, and desist hustling of the consumer, and create a game worth playing to the end.

Time is so precious. The ante seems peanuts.

Contributed in dire detachment to Eternity KS.

Monday, with wry affection I gave to the Codex Eternity 'Razor'.

Poll? Is there a 'King Comrade' slot that votes for DU's whiskey and fellowship fund and / or an upgraded Codex server?

4too

MCA
There are multiple aspects of this issue:

1) I already got the $250 tier on the PE KS page, so I already donated to them. I'm a sucker for old-timey big boxes, especially when they're signed by the dev team. However, PE is rather low on my list of worthy KS video game projects, definitely below W2, Planetary Annihilation, Shadowrun, Dead State or Xenonauts because they're just going for a "modernized Infinity Engine game with somewhat less cliche setting" approach, and are taking no risks like the rest of the projects I like. Because of this, I'm not incentivized to donate twice.

2) It would have been worth much more to get $5000 raised for Dead State. For the Dead State fundraiser, we even got a personalized offer, much cooler than the public KS $5000 offer, but we pissed it away. For W2, again, we got a personalized offer for our money. In the case of PE, the Codex got nothing. We're just raising money for a common $5000 tier (which is kinda shit to begin with anyway). Other communities copied our past initiatives but behaved like assholes and occupied the initial 3 $5000 tier pledges although they hadn't raised the money yet. I think that one went to NeoGAF (really? NeoGAF? I don't even know if I should laugh, cry in anger or howl in pain at the decline that NeoGAF is) and the other is GameBanshee (which is a mildly interesting site... at least it was when they were focused on walkthroughs and game guides, now being just another shit news site populated with "journalists" with airs of importance). GameBanshee did get a custom offer and they still have raised less than the Codex has until now, despite the Codex's indecision. I suppose that tonguing Feargus' asshole paid off for the GameBanshee staff. Fuck those losers!

3) Finally, the biggest problem (I would say) is that we haven't decided how to create the Codex party, if we get the $5000. Some want very subtle references, archetypes etc. Others want bold, outrageous, real Codexian personas, with their true Codexian names. I'm squarely in the "outrageous, real Codexers" camp because I think that those that want subtle references and shit like that are just having pretensions of prestige, missing the point that prestige comes from doing awesome things, like leaving our differences aside and raising the necessary money. The W2 campaign did exactly that, and it showed in the deluge of incline interviews that we had after that. Acting like stuck-up fossilized old men is not going to bring us any prestige.

I think we urgently need to decide what the party will be, because, otherwise people will not donate because they don't know what they're donating for.

Food for thought for fans of Real Crap with Pause.

Some quality posts in the PMs:

I have absolutely no money at the moment and am not really convinced to donate just yet. I know they're big guys going for a commercial appeal as well as a niche one, but I've seen no evidence that they give a flying fuck what the Codex thinks just yet - compared to Fargo and DoubleBear's approach, where they gave some indicating that they were going for a definite niche market, and specifically that they wanted us. Pretentious, I guess, but at the moment I'm just not convinced Obsidian really care about what most of us want compared to what SA/NeoGaf/whoever want. Sure, I'll probably buy it when it comes out, but I only have so many Kickstarters I can support. PE's not really speaking my language just yet - I'm hopeful, but not enough to give them from my limited funds.

The project just doesn't seem interesting to me right now and I promised myself a while ago that I wasn't gonna donate to anything besides Wasteland 2 until I've actually played a couple Kickstarted games, that promised the world. Also, Feargus looks like a faggot and I'm sure the underwhelming and hasty Kickstarter pitch his his idea. Also, completely tired of fantasy homo elves with magic and immortality and the shitty abstract allegories interwoven in the plotlines that come with them, even if Chris Avellone is the best writer in that particular field.

:bro:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

1) I already got the $250 tier on the PE KS page, so I already donated to them. I'm a sucker for old-timey big boxes, especially when they're signed by the dev team. However, PE is rather low on my list of worthy KS video game projects, definitely below W2, Planetary Annihilation, Shadowrun, Dead State or Xenonauts because they're just going for a "modernized Infinity Engine game with somewhat less cliche setting" approach, and are taking no risks like the rest of the projects I like. Because of this, I'm not incentivized to donate twice.
As far as we know, we may got a new Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate2. Not good enough for you? Damn I thought these games are Codex favourites. Just because the game is RTwP, doesn't mean that it will be bad. I mean, thinking that the game will suck just because it is RTwP is the most retarded attitude.

2) It would have been worth much more to get $5000 raised for Dead State. For the Dead State fundraiser, we even got a personalized offer, much cooler than the public KS $5000 offer, but we pissed it away. For W2, again, we got a personalized offer for our money. In the case of PE, the Codex got nothing.
Why should we be entitled to something extra? Especially when we are bashing them constantly (not everyone, but lots of people).

Food for thought for fans of Real Crap with Pause.
Yeah say Real Crap with Pause some more time, it will make you edgy as hell.

EG

Nullified

As far as we know, we may got a new Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate2. Not good enough for you? Damn I thought these games are Codex favourites. Just because the game is RTwP, doesn't mean that it will be bad. I mean, thinking that the game will suck just because it is RTwP is the most retarded attitude.

As far as we know, this is going to end up being a Hello Kitty FPS. See what I did there? T'was most unclever.

So no, lolzy possibilities are not enough.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
MurkyShadow And inXile did make a game that was to your liking?

villain of the story PE is still doing better than W2. Just look at the charts.

Both didn't make a game I enjoyed. Wasteland 2 sounds like something I could enjoy. More than PE.
That doesn't mean it will work out as one hopes. As for Obsidian's and inXile's past games, I enjoyed
Obsidian's even less. Maybe because I expected more.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Yes, we MAY get a new Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate 2. Accent on "may". The chances of that happening are slim IMHO. The chances of it even coming close to PS:T are very slim because Sawyer is no MCA. The more I hear from him, the more of a shallow, pretentious hipster he seems. As for BG2... I liked NWN2 and SoZ and loved MotB, so there's a chance of them making something of the same magnitude, but my already donated $250 should cover that level of quality. If they want more, they'll have to offer equity because they're not the only worthy crowd-sourced project in town that is looking to get my money.

2) It would have been worth much more to get $5000 raised for Dead State. For the Dead State fundraiser, we even got a personalized offer, much cooler than the public KS $5000 offer, but we pissed it away. For W2, again, we got a personalized offer for our money. In the case of PE, the Codex got nothing.
Why should we be entitled to something extra? Especially when we are bashing them constantly (not everyone, but lots of people).
Well, Fargo and Mitsoda offered more, both through the project itself (the projects were bolder, more interesting and, overall, more worthy of getting funded) and through their offers to our community. Mitsoda's offer was especially nice and we shat on it like a bunch of apes by not getting the money together. Now, even community offers have become popamole. For W2, there was the Codex which ruled the game, and the Watch and NMA which had less ambitious goals, but did it nevertheless. All of these communities were actual RPG communities, for better or worse. Now, for PE, we get Something Awefull, NeoGAF and GameBanshee swoop in and hog all the initial $5000 tier slots without even having raised the money first. Earlier today I was reading about GB's custom offer as well. So, in the case of PE, Obsidian is courting some general gaming, two-bit communities that are on the same quality level with the BSN. Fuck that shit! That's not even decline of PE in particular, that's decline of Obsidian!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Earlier today I was reading about GB's custom offer as well. So, in the case of PE, Obsidian is courting some general gaming, two-bit communities that are on the same quality level with the BSN. Fuck that shit! That's not even decline of PE in particular, that's decline of Obsidian!
The Codex deserve this. People shat on Obsidian after the stretch goal announcement, just because they made a mistake. Which they corrected right after. And as you said Mitsoda made a nice offer to us, and we failed him. Why would we deserve something again?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What happened to the money collected for Dead State anyway? Was it donated without any bonuses or did DU defraud everything?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You can not summon more than 10 people in one post. If only summoning The Brazilian Slaughter counted as a negative 100.
You can. You just have to summon them ten at a time. So summon ten, post. Edit the post, summon another ten, post again, repeat as necessary.

Also, apparently there are conversations going on that I'm not privilege too. :( Chris Avellone says:

Hey, I accidentally left this conversation (I thought I was turning off notifications). I just wanted folks to know that I was asked if I wanted to do the cartoon avatars at the requested amount, and I was happy to do it. Still, Crooked Bee offered up some other options that might be of more value/interest that I'm going to run by the crew here. I can't promise anything, but I'll look into it.

Chris

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Now, for PE, we get Something Awefull, NeoGAF and GameBanshee swoop in and hog all the initial $5000 tier slots without even having raised the money first. Earlier today I was reading about GB's custom offer as well. So, in the case of PE, Obsidian is courting some general gaming, two-bit communities that are on the same quality level with the BSN. Fuck that shit! That's not even decline of PE in particular, that's decline of Obsidian!

I feel like I must clarify a couple of things there.

1. Obsidian isn't "courting" SA or NeoGAF (mistyped that as NeoFAG at first, oopsie), it was those forums' own decision to snatch the $5000 tiers asap. Obsidian wasn't involved with that. Obs' only fault was to make that tier limited to 3 backers only. If our own Spectacle had been there for us at that moment, we would now have one of the inns, too.

2. GB isn't on the level with the BSN, I hope you agree with me on that, but yes, Obsidian is (kind of) "courting" Gamebanshee to some extent, because BuckGB (the founder of the site) is working directly with Feargus Urquhart, Obsidian's CEO; that's why GB had that exclusive first day interview and now the special offer.

3. We might still work out a special deal with Obsidian, too. Perhaps even a pretty attractive deal. I've been working on that with MCA, and DU is on the case as well.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also, apparently there are conversations going on that I'm not privilege too. :( Chris Avellone says:

Hey, I accidentally left this conversation (I thought I was turning off notifications). I just wanted folks to know that I was asked if I wanted to do the cartoon avatars at the requested amount, and I was happy to do it. Still, Crooked Bee offered up some other options that might be of more value/interest that I'm going to run by the crew here. I can't promise anything, but I'll look into it.

Chris

Yeah, he emailed me about that too. I've also no idea what conversation that might be (heh). BUT he also said he might post something to one of the Codex threads.

MCA
Invited you and DU to the second conversation I know. I can't tell if that's the one Avellone is referring to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom