Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project Eternity Fundraiser POLL

Would you donate to a Codex fundraiser?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Now, for PE, we get Something Awefull, NeoGAF and GameBanshee swoop in and hog all the initial $5000 tier slots without even having raised the money first. Earlier today I was reading about GB's custom offer as well. So, in the case of PE, Obsidian is courting some general gaming, two-bit communities that are on the same quality level with the BSN. Fuck that shit! That's not even decline of PE in particular, that's decline of Obsidian!

I feel like I must clarify a couple of things there.

1. Obsidian isn't "courting" SA or NeoGAF (mistyped that as NeoFAG at first, oopsie), it was those forums' own decision to snatch the $5000 tiers asap. Obsidian wasn't involved with that. Obs' only fault was to make that tier limited to 3 backers only. If our own Spectacle had been there for us at that moment, we would now have one of the inns, too.
By their actions, they are trying to reach as wide an audience as possible. In the case of Infinity Engine games, the biggest segment of this audience are BSN denizens. Even if they don't plan on making PE a modern-Bioware romance-fest, they still can't come out and say "What you BSN deviants want is not going to happen!" because they don't want to lose them. Following the same pattern, SA and NeoGAF are general-gaming communities at best, but they're very big compared to the RPG-focused communities. NeoGAF is full of weabos and I wouldn't even call SA a gaming community. They're as much a gaming community as 4chan is a gaming community. But, as long as Sawyer is an active member of SA, you can understand where his loyalties lie. As for them claiming those tiers before having raised the money, that's a good indicator of the quality of these communities. That's not a matter of us slipping up and not doing it too, it's a matter of principle: you shouldn't be doing that. All-in-all, decline of KS audiences encouraged by Obsidian.

2. GB isn't on the level with the BSN, I hope you agree with me on that, but yes, Obsidian is (kind of) "courting" Gamebanshee to some extent, because BuckGB (the founder of the site) is working directly with Feargus Urquhart, Obsidian's CEO; that's why GB had that exclusive first day interview and now the special offer.
GB isn't on the same level as BSN, but SA and NeoGAF are. I know the story about how Feargus claims that BuckGB gave him the idea of a Infinity Engine-like game because I've read that interview. However, if that's not just lip-service paid by Feargus to BuckGB, then there's a serious disconnect between Feargus (and the rest of the Obsidian leadership) and the requests of the RPG community. It seems outlandish to me to even think that Feargus heard about the community wanting an [not even that] old-school RPG the first time during that interview. What are these people doing on their time? They cocked up the PE KS campaign in multiple ways, they claim to have had no idea that the RPG community wanted old school games etc. If Feargus weren't one of the founders and owners of Obsidian, such missteps usually end in a pink slip.

3. We might still work out a special deal with Obsidian, too. Perhaps even a pretty attractive deal. I've been working on that with MCA, and DU is on the case as well.
Awesome! Keep at it.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
3. We might still work out a special deal with Obsidian, too. Perhaps even a pretty attractive deal. I've been working on that with MCA, and DU is on the case as well.
MCA will personally fellate everyone who donates $500 or more!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We might still work out a special deal with Obsidian, too. Perhaps even a pretty attractive deal.

The citizens of La Codexia are truly indebted to you, signorina.

p5M98.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom