Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Project Eternity Update #36: Core Four Classes, Weapon Types, and More

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I hope this doesn't mean they are only going to support 16:9 resolutions.

Delterius

Arcane
Those were just examples. There might be a way to get spellcasting, too. Like getting default feats of other classes in 3E.
But this (baseless) speculation does not prove that multiclassing is in any way made obsolete by their character advancement system.

Not obsolete, but...less necessary.

I think that the current class advancement system is more akin to dual-classing as opposed to multi-classing. A fighter/mage multiclass is a true half fighter half mage, the dual class fighter/mage is, rather, 3 quarters mage, 1 fighter.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
About the class system:

1299409-OR8SBHS.png

This shit looks like it was ripped from an MMO.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't think anyone said that there is something wrong with them. They even avoid the annoying feature of Fallout's by making some damage always occur no matter how high your DR is.

I'm not really fond of that. I'd love to play a heavily armored character that just walks through heavy small arms fire/sword slashes, sparks flying off him as he laughs off the attacks.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I don't think anyone said that there is something wrong with them. They even avoid the annoying feature of Fallout's by making some damage always occur no matter how high your DR is.

I'm not really fond of that. I'd love to play a heavily armored character that just walks through heavy small arms fire/sword slashes, sparks flying off him as he laughs off the attacks.

Since PE goes with the stamina/health -route, it makes more sense. You're still not taking damage, but at least you're gradually getting winded from the pebbles that the hobbits throw at you.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The biggest problem with no multiclassing is the inability to make fighter/mages. This is a problem since it's likely one of the most common character types people played in the IE games that Obsidian wishes to emulate.
You can make a platemail-wearing mage who is somewhat decent with weapons without having to multiclass in this system.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's cool, but that's not even remotely close to an AD&D Fighter/Mage, it also doesn't help the lack of a Thief/Mage "Trickster" type. My guess is they'll cover their asses by introducing similar themed single class hybrids in the expansion. This would be an acceptable remedy in my opinion.

jewboy

Arbiter
Nice update. I like these fireside chats. He really is pretty good at this. I see he's not doing as much beard stroking this time.

gromit

Arcane
The first level wizard/priests spells are like cantrips.
Making them become quasi-cantrips at level n is pretty clever -- depending on implementation it could allow some decent spells to be flung with abandon, while still preventing low-levels from being overpowered. Traditionally, outside of spells that can shine in p&p (message, lights, TK, prestidigitation, etc) these are the first spells to become useless. What good does 1d3 damage or one-turn stunning a Lvl <=4 creature for one turn do at Lvl 8? Especially in light of the stamina system, it seems like minor pokes and stalls would only take up room (unless you're balancing for "lossless victories" as the goal, as in the new KB games.)

Alex

Arcane
Well gromit, I still would preffer the 1st level spells from D&D, which are full of interesting uses throughout the game. Magic missiles kept getting new missiles up to the 9th level. Mage armor wasn't that great, but if you didn't need much protection, it remained good. Shield was always nice to avoid missiles. Heck, even affect normal fires can be pretty good, as several types of creatures can't stand bright light. That is speaking nothing of spells that are obviously strong, like charm person or chromatic orb.

And, well, 1e style cantrips would probably not be that practical in battles even in the first level, though if you had a system where the summon bee spell, or the knot spell, could be used in combat for good effect, it would probably be both awesome and somewhat useful even in later levels. Even so, if Hackmaster cantrips were allowed, it would still be fun just for the ability to use eye gouges, indian burns and wet willies at distance... Still, that has nothing to do with PE, BG or anything else. Sorry for derailing.

gromit

Arcane
Those being Level 1 spells, not Level 0... good point re: Magic Missle, but the same doesn't happen for, say, Ray of Frost. Creatures who can't stand bright lights are cool, and certainly add both variety to the game, and utility to the spellbook, but I can't recall the last time a cRPG bothered to model that.

marooned

Liturgist
re: classes. The passive abilities is nice but on the other hand they are pretty standard and generic. Not a bad thing, just not overly interesting. The "active" abilities like that rogue maneuver or the warrior insta-stamina however doesn't sound too good for me. And yes, they remind me of dragon age.

I'm probably more interested in the skills and such. Maybe because they haven't told much about it yet.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'd like them to talk about what abilities each class gets in a bit more detail.
What makes a fighter better than a barbarian or paladin?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well gromit, I still would preffer the 1st level spells from D&D, which are full of interesting uses throughout the game. Magic missiles kept getting new missiles up to the 9th level. Mage armor wasn't that great, but if you didn't need much protection, it remained good. Shield was always nice to avoid missiles. Heck, even affect normal fires can be pretty good, as several types of creatures can't stand bright light. That is speaking nothing of spells that are obviously strong, like charm person.

You are so blinded by nostalgia. You could just as well be speaking about 3E here.

Anyway, this update is teh suck. It shows that Sawyer's inspiration when it comes to mechanics isn't as much 3rd or 4th as it is DA. Still looking forward to PE, but Sawyer's involvement is increasingly becoming a source of worry. It seems clear he doesn't want to make a BG/IWD game (apparantly he thinks those games suck a lot, which is 'k, but makes no sense in the context of him making a successor to them). Seems more like he wants to make a cross between NWN2/DA. That can quickly become an abomination, but I hope I'm wrong.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't know how he can take inspiration from DA when he's never even played it. :smug:

What makes a fighter different from a barbarian or paladin versus pathfinder or DnD?
Happy?
Barbarians come from many of the more remote cultures found across the world. In the Dyrwood, they are commonly found among Glanfathan elf communities. They are distinguished from fighters by their recklessness, ferocity, and their predilection to substitute raw aggression for discipline. Barbarians are a challenge to deal with on a battlefield, though they are vulnerable to exhaustion if they don't pace themselves.

Paladins are extremely devoted, often fanatical, soldiers who have pledged themselves to a chosen cause, combining the zeal of a priest with the ascetic discipline of a monk. They have founded many elite fighting forces, from the original Darcozzi Paladini, a two thousand year-old order of palace guards, to the fledgling Fellows of St. Waidwen Martyr, zealous defenders of the Godhammer pilgrim trail. Often found at the vanguard of many conflicts, paladins are natural leaders and have the ability to quickly assist their allies with targeted commands. A paladin's commands can stave off impending death, overcome fatigue, or hasten the charge to close breached defenses. And though they are not always pledged to the service of a god or gods, paladins are so singularly focused on their chosen cause that their souls are continually creating a wellspring of spiritual energy from which they can blast groups of foes in their immediate vicinity. Despite their often stoic presence and explosive combat style, paladins work best alongside allies. When isolated, they can be vulnerable, especially against singular powerful foes.

I expect barbarians to not be too different from the D&D kind, and paladins play more like 4e D&D warlords.

gromit

Arcane
Things wrong with Dragon Age:

1. Repetitive encounter design encourages repetitive tactics
2. Dull gamist exposure of "Aggro" builds these tactics around an AI cheat
3. Couldn't secks the dog; Wynne pegging scene apparently cut (?)
4. The writing was often fairly lack-luster, yet thrust to the forefront

They've fixed worse games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom