Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Project Silkworm (from a indie)

zwanzig_zwoelf

This is a test. We have only had 705 views on the video so far.
In fact the response so far has been fantastic.

Kickstarter is about the media, quality pitch page, demo and talking.
I am missing all 3.

If we fix the page for pitch 2, invest in a alpha demo (hands on for players) and develop a correct marketing plan (media release) we would be in with a strong chance.
Are you planning to cancel it or something?

I'd personally do the following:
1. Prepare a nicely working alpha build with at least one area to show the basic gameplay to the players, whether by recording a gameplay video or by allowing people to download it.
2. Use as much original content within the demo as possible, because using stock stuff might put some people off.
3. Try to hit journos with a stick, but don't even talk to them about giving them money. If they'll start begging for it, save their messages, you never know when you'll get the opportunity to shit on modern 'journos'.
4. Fuck talking in front of the camera, show more of the game (insert some text here and there explaining why the game will be so good, though).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
invest in a alpha demo (hands on for players)
Don't bother with this. It sounds nice, but it really doesn't sell kickstarters.

Now making an alpha, and showing footage of gameplay might help, but putting a rough demo in people's hands won't help you.

Lucky

Arcane
Putting up a kickstarter that's meant to fail honestly baffles me. A previous kickstarter that barely made any money is not a good thing to have on your résumé. It gives the impression to your backers that you were lazy about the first pitch and just trying to score a few easy bucks. I'm not accusing you of doing that, just saying that that's the impression it can give to potential backers. Getting people to pledge is all about making a good impression, so this might come back to turn off people who would otherwise have pledged. Just look at the thread here on the Codex and how confused everyone is.

Don’t post a demo unless it’s really good and accurately reflects the finished game. Most backers don’t actually understand game development and will think that the alpha demo is just a shorter version of the entire game. So any flaws present here they’ll assume will also apply to the full-release version. Better to put up footage and gifs that show off some of the claims made in your pitch.

That said, best of luck with the actual kickstarter! It definitely looks like you have a game that deserves to be made.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Putting up a kickstarter that's meant to fail honestly baffles me. A previous kickstarter that barely made any money is not a good thing to have on your résumé. It gives the impression to your backers that you were lazy about the first pitch and just trying to score a few easy bucks. I'm not accusing you of doing that, just saying that that's the impression it can give to potential backers. Getting people to pledge is all about making a good impression, so this might come back to turn off people who would otherwise have pledged. Just look at the thread here on the Codex and how confused everyone is.

Don’t post a demo unless it’s really good and accurately reflects the finished game. Most backers don’t actually understand game development and will think that the alpha demo is just a shorter version of the entire game. So any flaws present here they’ll assume will also apply to the full-release version. Better to put up footage and gifs that show off some of the claims made in your pitch.

That said, best of luck with the actual kickstarter! It definitely looks like you have a game that deserves to be made.
How could he score a few easy bucks? He is not posting on Indiegogo, so he will get zero if he doesn't reach his very ambitious target.
The problem with footage is that many kickstarters have been using fake footage in the past, so backers might be weary. That said, it is probably better than a rough alpha demo indeed.

Lucky

Arcane
Because he’s hoping that mentioning old-school sensibilities will rile up people starved for those kind of games. Not to say that that’s what he was doing, but it’s how people might rationalise the poor pitch aimed at an audience that has a reputation for spending a lot on those kind of projects. It’s just unnecessarily risky.

Apexeon

Arcane
I won't quit if this does not work.
However I will have to go back to work just like TSI have.
If TSI shows up on KS I will back them like I did the first time.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Do you have a coder already? There are only you and your wife mentionned, but I thought you were also working with a developer. Even if he is a paid freelance, I think adding him on the team page (as helper or whatever) would help make the project feel "safer".

zwanzig_zwoelf

I really hope he won't add me to the team page with a link to my fartcloud.

Apexeon

Arcane
After I have had my fun (yes game making should be fun) on Kickstarter I will be regrouping to provide the 2D isometric maps for indie developers.

Yes I do want to make the game but Kickstarter is a all or nothing so you get a good answer. I really like Kickstarter as you get good feedback from a lot of different people.

Kickstarter provided me the motivation to get back into my love for Crpg art.
That has been a big victory for me. My only disappointment with myself is that I gave up back (on my hobby) in 2004 and I lost my love for rpg art.

Last edited:
Why not get involved with someone who is good at, and likes, doing that stuff. So you can focus on the things you love.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Will you give it another shot? It would be a crime not to support your awesome art with a strong kickstarter campaign.
Your art speaks for himself, but people want to hear/read about yourself as game designer and world builder.

Apexeon

Arcane
Will you give it another shot? It would be a crime not to support your awesome art with a strong kickstarter campaign.
Your art speaks for himself, but people want to hear/read about yourself as game designer and world builder.

I am.

I will have a update ready in about 4-5 weeks.

Apexeon

Arcane
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ed-after-troll-ruins-its-kickstarter#comments

To all the people commenting about how wrong this is, did you fund this kickstarter?, or are you one of the people who would rather throw money at COD and Fifa every year. Its not people like "Jonathan" that are the problem, its you.

So now they get funded on the pity vote, hardly the best reason for a game to exist. If you wanted this game to do well, you should have funded it, it fell short by a quarter of the money needed, only a few grand, you lot throw billions at COD every year.

But carry on blaming Jonathan and getting on your high horse, instead of facing the truth, that the real reason this industry is dominated by things like yearly sequel's, season passes, mobile gaming ,micro transactions, is because you funded them into existence and made them so profitable they are now a permanent fixture. Before complaining about the state of things,look in the mirror, its all your fault, dont put the blame on somebody else.

There is hope for humanity after all.

The main reason males throw money and compete on COD is the male thing to prove himself worthy of a mate (do your homework).
Also to find his pecking order in his tribe of leaderless males.

Now they hand out online badges so you can see if you measure up in the online tribe.
Smart companies leaching off the males.

Apexeon

Arcane
Ok a little early.

I will probably like to start a new thread for this new direction.

Going to float just under BG quality level. The Angle will be 45 degrees and the map size will be 5120 X 3840 for the outdoor exploration sections. Currently working on my Candlekeep starting map (40 map set plan).

I will be developing free maps packs and map packs for sale (so I can update my computer, get a new chair).
Map packs for indies will be royalty free (working that out).

The gameplay that can occur on these maps is up to the indie developer.
It can be a simple game right up to the epic 100 hour gone with the wind story.
However my limited time is best spent making the 5120 X 3840 pixels.

So in about 4-6 weeks I should have the first 3 big maps ready.

Starting castle.
First outdoor map.
Outdoor map with ruins.
Etc...

01-Start-C1-Mod-Bc.jpg

BG-quality-L1.jpg

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

How are you planning to release them for sale? I was thinking about putting some of my music on Bandcamp to get some money and fund my own games instead of relying on bitchslap plans, but PayPal doesn't allow to receive money in Ukraine and most of the other services demand giving some money upfront, which is not exactly the best option for me right now.

Apexeon

Arcane
How are you planning to release them for sale? I was thinking about putting some of my music on Bandcamp to get some money and fund my own games instead of relying on bitchslap plans, but PayPal doesn't allow to receive money in Ukraine and most of the other services demand giving some money upfront, which is not exactly the best option for me right now.

I will update you when I figure that one out.
The free maps will be easy to release.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I will update you when I figure that one out.
The free maps will be easy to release.
For a moment I thought you considered using Asset Store for that, but if you'll figure out any alternatives, I'll be thankful for letting me know about them.

Apexeon

Arcane
There are lots of different options for gameplay, stories and even music.
I see the maps as a potential cup for the other content to be layered on.
Had a lot of different indies want to work with me.
Best to just work straight with the maps!

Here are the town parts under construction.

Icon-3.jpg

This is the full size of a BG1 map at 5120 X 3840.

Work in progress.

01-Ice-Prototype-Char-1S.jpg

Apexeon

Arcane
2 Million polygons on the map at the moment.

The maps will be made in about 4 parts and glued together is Paintshop.
Probably if all the parts were together on one map the total polygon count would be 8 million.
At 2+ million polygons my computer gets upset.

01-Start-Full-Map-1-S.jpg

Apexeon

Arcane
Apparently The Witcher 3 only cost $15M to develop (and another $25M spent on marketing). I'm surprised it's so low, I would have guessed $30M at least based on the hyped scale. GTA V is an outlier but it cost $137M to develop (plus ~$100M for marketing). Still, I think Wasteland 2 would be doing well to have broken $10M including crowd funding.

I spent this on marketing Aloran $0.

So for all those indies who don't do there homework. Marketing makes up 50% of your budget.
Kickstarter is 100 % marketing.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Apparently The Witcher 3 only cost $15M to develop (and another $25M spent on marketing). I'm surprised it's so low, I would have guessed $30M at least based on the hyped scale. GTA V is an outlier but it cost $137M to develop (plus ~$100M for marketing). Still, I think Wasteland 2 would be doing well to have broken $10M including crowd funding.

I spent this on marketing Aloran $0.

So for all those indies who don't do there homework. Marketing makes up 50% of your budget.
Kickstarter is 100 % marketing.
So low because the studio is Polish, and their currency < USD. Value of a dollar is different everywhere, yanno.

Apexeon

Arcane
Back to work on the maps.

Also I have a kickstarter.
The how to make these maps and drink wine PDF.

5500 % funded.

01-Map-A1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom