Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Project Silkworm (from a indie)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
e2cbd6f67995e007a2fe393a14411477_original.png

Zeriel

Arcane
If so, the "Fallen London toolset" is Twine. That's the exact same side menu as Twine, packaged as a mobile app maybe?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I wasn't aware that Twine had a preset UI like that, but it looks just like StoryNexus (the Fallen London engine) to me. Compare:

Screen+Shot+2017-02-13+at+3.52.15+pm.png

menace-eradication.jpg

The Kickstarter page also mentions Fallen London as its its inspiration and says they got FailBetter's blessing, so that pretty much resolves it. Also, why is this in this thread?

Zeriel

Arcane
This is what one of the Twine interpreters looks like. Note the sidebar.

inKdmdx.png

From the outside looking in, it sounds like Fallen London just took Twine, made some small CSS edits, and called it a new "engine". But I have no actual experience with Fallen London, so I can't comment with certainty.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Twine came out after Fallen London, so, no, that's not how it happened. The two are really extraordinarily dissimilar. It's possible that there are some Twine packages now designed to emulate StoryNexus, I'm not sure, but early Twine was built around embedded hyperlinks and generally didn't have world-states. It really bears almost no resemblance to the structure of StoryNexus games, which are based around vignettes, qualities, stats, quasi-persistent world, grinding, etc., etc.

It looks like Alycone is trying to build StoryNexus in Twine, presumably to avoid licensing issues.

Honestly, all of them seem degenerate compared to parser-based IF, but I'm mostly a crotchety old man. Fallen London is worth dabbling with, but its entire structure is built around the F2P pay-to-avoid-forced-grind framework which I find to be loathsome and immoral.

Zeriel

Arcane
It looks like Alycone is trying to build StoryNexus in Twine, presumably to avoid licensing issues.

Fair enough on this point. Fallen London looks nothing like stock Twine--but Alcyone sure does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom