Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Project Tamriel: A Morrowind mod

ironmask

Arbiter
Project Tamriel is a collection of mod projects that work together on creating the provinces of Tamriel in the world of Morrowind. The goal is to create Tamriel as it was described in Morrowind at the time rather then copy Bethesda's interpretation in later games. So Cyrodiil will still be a jungle, The Nords still worship their own religion, The Imperial City is guarded by dragons. PT is the sister project to tamriel rebuilt and shares many of same modders. One of the big mod projects (Skyrim: Home of the Nords) just had a big update a few days ago. Adding new landmass, dungeons, and quest to explore along with new weapons and armor.

dragonstar-ad-2.png

Here is the description from the nexus.

The Imperial Legion maintains a border wall between Dragonstar East, ruled by Jarl Jona the Ansei-Ender, and Dragonstar West, a Crown holding surrounded almost entirely by the Kingdom of the Reach. Residents of the cities are forbidden from crossing the wall due to threats of constant violence, something they know too well. Outside the cities, life goes on for the Reachmen of the Alovach and Taliesinn tribes; however, they keep one ear to the ground. If war were to again break out in Dragonstar, they would inevitably be dragged in...

Dragonstar West's Guild of Mages chapter, distrusted by the local population, struggles to maintain its image and waning membership. The Thieves Guild has its eyes on some big prizes and is rumored to be holed up in Dragonstar East. The Dragonstar Arena is filled with nervous spectators hungry for combatants to offer a distraction from every-day life...

Beyond the walls, the Reach is as dangerous as ever. Merchants continue to be attacked by bandits and Reachmen, ferocious beasts stalk the forests and mesas, and bound servants patrol the fortresses of both Clan Direnni and the First Era Nords...

The Skyrim: Home of the Nords Team is proud to present another release in our efforts to create the province of Skyrim as envisioned in the world of TESIII: Morrowind. It represents the work of many talented modders over the past years and includes the following features:
  • 100+ quests, including new regional questlines for the Imperial Guilds, bounty hunting, and miscellaneous quests
  • 290+ exterior cells of hand-crafted landscape.
  • 330+ interior cells, including the massive cities of Karthwasten and Dragonstar, towns, camps, and dozens of locations for you to loot in classic TES fashion.
  • Specially-modeled exterior and interior assets to flesh out the settlements of the Reach, including Reachman camps, Direnni ruins, and ancient fortresses.
  • New books, armor, clothing, weapons, and more.
We have been working on bringing the lands of Skyrim to TES:III for more than ten years. The Skyrim we aim to make is our own interpretation, rather than a copy of Bethesda’s work in TES:V. Based on lore from the Pocket Guides to the Empire and other additional sources, we’ve based our creations on what you might expect from having played Morrowind rather than later games in the series. A comprehensive and sustained effort from model-makers, landscape designers, interior-fiddlers and quest-wranglers has allowed for this latest release.

Last edited:

Bahamut

Arcane
And can Morrowind's engine support such big and densely filled map?

-further from 0,0 cell variable precission glitches appear (shaky animations)
-some optimisation fails on assets hits framerate badly
-too much assets does same, and they love abuse rock meshes for terrain

ironmask

Arbiter
Probably not. Last time I played this mod on vanilla Morrowind, it worked fine but there obviously problems from trying to make a map far away from the base game. Going to jail will crash the game, animation glitches, the map won't show up on the in menu. This mod was made with OpenMW in mind. So many of the problems will be fixed if you play on that engine instead.

Funposter

Arcane
-too much assets does same, and they love abuse rock meshes for terrain
I'd call it necessity, rather than abuse. The alternative is visible in vanilla Morrowind and Oblivion, where mountains and hilly areas are just sort of mounds that someone has clearly dragged upwards in the editor.

I wish they'd just focus on finishing Morrowind, though. I understand that maybe some of the team are more interested in Skyrim or Cyrodiil content, but there's still all of western Morrowind to complete (that is, place NPCs, quests etc.) and large portions of Telvannis and Sacred East need to be redone or tweaked. Kemel-Ze still hasn't been completed, despite having been 90% of the way there for years now, and I'd argue that the quest content in newer areas is much higher than the earlier releases. The Temple questline in Almas Thirr, in particular, is a load of fun and allows for actual roleplaying in an Elder Scrolls game and the Khalaan questline/dungeon is quite interesting and puts vanilla content to shame in terms of its size and complexity. The same could be said of Kemel-Ze if they ever actually finished it. At 40 cells, it's five times the size of Tribunal's Bamz-Amschend, and is probably as big as, or even bigger than the entirety of the Old Mournhold/sewer system in which all of that expansion's content takes place.

As for general framerate issues, I'd say it never gets bad even on the vanilla engine except for Old Ebonheart. There are larger areas, but none of them are quite so densely packed. The Optimization Patch, Project Atlas etc. help to alleviate this, but TR uses a lot of custom assets which aren't atlased. Hopefully this will change going forward, and all meshes will be atlased by default or require atlased versions, but I doubt it.

Kalon

Scholar
But can they fill it enough to make it worthwhile to explore actually, that is the big question.
I wonder.
It's especially noticeable in Tamriel Rebuilt where you get larger cities than on Vvardenfell but with fewer dungeons inbetween (albeit larger ones), which makes the mainland feel paradoxically wilder/more desolate than the volcano island.

None

Scholar
But can they fill it enough to make it worthwhile to explore actually, that is the big question.
I wonder.
It's especially noticeable in Tamriel Rebuilt where you get larger cities than on Vvardenfell but with fewer dungeons inbetween (albeit larger ones), which makes the mainland feel paradoxically wilder/more desolate than the volcano island.

Seems intentional to me. Probably stems from their Guidelines for Quests and Dialogue. I think they've got the right take on what makes Morrowind fun/interesting.

NerevarineKing

Learned
Shouldn't they try to focus on just making a morrowind province? Why do they try to add diffrent provinces? Fucking modders man

I do like the idea of having the original vision for Tamriel being playable since Bethesda changed the Skyrim and Cyrodiil provinces a ton to be more generic (probably to appeal to a wider audience).

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I installed it during my last Morrowind game two years ago. It was only the part that add inland Morrowind. My thoughts :
- with MGE XE with full viewing distance, framerate was good. Nothing to complain performance-wise.
- the eastern part is decent and feel playable. The atmosphere and places are ok, the new creatures are badly animated and I did not care much for new items (scrib pie what the hell). I spent some time walking around, it was ok, did not feel compelled to explore more but that's my problem.
- the western part is WIP. No indoor cells, overall lack of finish in object placement, nothing to do except explore the huge empty geographic features, which is fun for a few hours if you want to play something different.
- Old Ebonheart seems big and complete with several quests and may be by far the biggest city after Vivec, with a much higher density of buildings and PNJ. If city life is your thing, be worthy of a try. But I did not like the atmosphere, too down-to-earth with a "realistic" medieval touch that I felt did not click with the overall theme of the game. Clock tower being the biggest culprit. But it's my problem once again, it may be ok for you.
- there's a overall lack of common vision and uniformity, but that's modding for you.
- all the new places mess around with divine and Almsivi interventions spells. You get used to it, but be prepare to land to some remote chapel when you thought you were bound to Sadrith Mora.
- using MGE XE, you now see landmasses in the distance when you used to see only water. It felt actually good, changing the way you see the territory and making Vardendell less of a lost island. The distant coastlines look nice, and when you get to Dagon Fel with only the sea up to the horizon, it fells cozy and add a charm to the place.

tl;dr yeah just try it, you don't have much to loose, not even framerate.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wish they'd just focus on finishing Morrowind, though. I understand that maybe some of the team are more interested in Skyrim or Cyrodiil content, but there's still all of western Morrowind to complete (that is, place NPCs, quests etc.) and large portions of Telvannis and Sacred East need to be redone or tweaked.

It's a different team. They cooperate and coordinate with Tamriel Rebuilt, and I guess there might be some overlap in people contributing, but Tamriel Rebuilt and Project Tamriel are two different teams. Or actually three IIRC, one team tackling Skyrim and one tackling Cyrodiil. They work indepdently of each other but share resources, discuss lore together, coordinate their efforts etc.

So actually they help each other speed along, and people who have nothing more to do on TR can switch over to PT (like people who focus on lore research, or concept artists - once their job for Morrowind is finished, and they don't have any talent or interest in level design or quest writing, they can just switch to the other team if they wanna keep contributing to the mod scene).

ironmask

Arbiter
the western part is WIP. No indoor cells, overall lack of finish in object placement, nothing to do except explore the huge empty geographic features, which is fun for a few hours if you want to play something different.
Did you played it when it was in alpha two years ago? Pretty sure the reach (or at least what landmass is currently released) is interior complete now.

Edit: Never mind. I just realized that you are talking about Tamriel Rebuilt.

Funposter

Arcane
I wonder.
This is the key difference between Vvardenfell and Morrowind, I'd say. Vvardenfell is extremely dense with content while the mainland is much more sparse (but with a lot more of those dungeons being big), which makes it feel realistic but does put it at odds with the original game. It also means that you're way less inclined to travel by foot, since the areas are larger and less varied than the main game. Imagine walking from Necrom to some remote area in the northern reaches of the map. It's essentially the same as vanilla's Sanctus Shrine quest from Vivec to the top of the map, but due to the way the mainland has been designed, I think it would feel like it's taking longer.

Absolutely not. So that's why the devs have started insisting on using Open MW. As an open source and newer engine it solved a lot of the weird issues with Gamebryo.
OpenMW will never see widespread adoption until they find a way to mimic or implement MWSE-lua, imo.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Some screenshots of me exploring mainland Morrowind, Skyrim and Stirk;
bQCe2sZ.jpeg

Fresh off the boat in Old Ebonheart.
uokxu71.jpeg

A coastal town in Skyrim.
yHlmKmH.jpeg

Exploring the roads in the Reach.
m8HDle7.jpeg

A smuggler's cove in Stirk.
bjmlq4K.jpeg

Ayleid ruins.
HqLG2Yx.jpg

Patrolling Cyrodiil almost makes you wish for another Dragon Break.
9hSBRS5.jpg

Almalexia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom